Damn 4x4 Driver

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 19:58
ThreadID: 21808 Views:2335 Replies:10 FollowUps:31
This Thread has been Archived
So there I was, doing the daily 120kms from home to office in my trusty zook.
Auto-Pilot is engaged at just over the speed limit (100kmh) and there is nothing in the rear view mirror except the far distant and beautiful border ranges and a faint 'blip' on the bitumen.
A few kms further on and the 'blip' is now hanging about 3 - 5 metres from my rear bumper carrying on in much the same fashion that we have all come (unfortunately) to expect.
Nothing unusual so far except the 'blip' in question is a Disco TD5!!
I let him pass and get the expected bodily gestures.
His real car is obviously a WRX but I wonder how many other drivers experience this tosser every day and enrol in the Anti - 4wd League when they get home!!
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Exploder - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 20:08

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 20:08
yep that's just the publicity we need. I didn't know the john deer engine could go that fast.
AnswerID: 105317

Follow Up By: hanson - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 20:34

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 20:34
Wot! u didn't check out if your brake lights worked? a gentle touch makes them back off, (joking) my solution is drop off the speed by about 10kph when the double white lines show up. But seriously it's a pain in the arse no pun intended
FollowupID: 362442

Reply By: allaussie - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:28

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:28
I'm all for a good drive but when someone is so far up ypur arse it's hard to figure otu where your car finishes and theirs starts but having atow bar is a good way for them to backoff but also my lovely handbrake has the jero thru the week so i must ride the bike so it goes both ways ... What i could said about car drivers well well ...... we all pay our regoes and taxes so enjoy what you pay for cheers chris
AnswerID: 105336

Reply By: locallaw - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:40

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:40
Gidday,My favourite trick is to drop down gear and let the clutch out without touching the brakes.A sudden drop in speed sees them go in all directions.A thing to remember is to hit the acc pedal to get out of their way fast.One thing I have found they seem to keep away after that.
Have fun,
Seeya Locallaw
AnswerID: 105340

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:08

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:08
Nothing like a bit of "safe" driving to deal with situation.

Better still, why not chuck empty beer cans at them?

Are you serious?
FollowupID: 362454

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:46

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 09:46
Local, a man after my own heart!!

I do the same thing... bollox to them. Tailgating is illegal.. They hit you, their problem.

If they hit you, you get that Kaymar bar you always wanted through his insurance.
All good.
FollowupID: 362489

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:29

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:29
Weather it's right or wrong, I've got to admit to doing that before... :-)
FollowupID: 362502

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:44

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:44
yep..... Me too!

;-)
FollowupID: 362517

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:25

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:25
It gets great results!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 362536

Follow Up By: Savvas - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:05

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:05
Did it to a VR commodore last sunday. I could only see their roof in the rear view mirror, until I blipped the brakes.

We were in the middle lane of 3 lanes too, so I couldn't figure why they just didn't pass in the first place. I have a feeling they were trying to read the detail on the Hayman Reese sticker on the towbar.
FollowupID: 362658

Reply By: dp - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:57

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 21:57
How come no one has suggested politely letting them pass? Any other action makes you as self righteous and dangerous as the idiot who is tailgating
AnswerID: 105345

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:05

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:05
I agree, but also think that is what the original post said anyway....he said something like..."I let him pass and got the expected response".....WTF? If someone comes up behind you and you let them pass (ie: without causing them any grief by braking, slowing down, veering all over the shop etc), then why would the bloke want to "give the expected response" (which I'm assuming means he gave our bloke the middle finger salute??).
I don't get it at all????????
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 362453

Follow Up By: Savvas - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:07

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 13:07
And what if they don't pass even though they have ample opprotunity?
FollowupID: 362659

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:04

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:04
The answer is simple Ray, get out of the fast lane.

You were holding up traffic. Chances are his speedo is more accurate than your's and you were hoding him up at below the speed limit. Or perhaps he considers the government set speed limits to be nothing other than a way to raise tax.

IMO 100 km/h is way to slow on a well surfaced, uninterupted, fenced piece of road where there is no chance of oncoming or crossing traffic.

You said he took many km's to catch you at what you thought was the legal limit. Consider this; if you were in fact only doing 95 and he was doing 100, he would have caught you over time, as he did. Any wonder, in those circumstances, he got upset with you? You were holding him up and he was doing nothing wrong. I'm not saying this was the actual case but it is a possibilty.

I fail to understand what the brand if car he was driving has to do with it. "His real car is obviously a WRX". Please explain.

I would further suggest that 100 in a Zook is far more dangerous than 130 in the dreaded WRX. A WRX will stop faster from 130 than a Zook from 100, handles far better, has standard safety features such as ABS and Airbags, will be able to drive around a hazard that a Zook would plough through due to its inherently better dynamic design etc.

Mate, speed is an overrated factor in safety.
AnswerID: 105348

Follow Up By: Exploder - Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:37

Tuesday, Apr 05, 2005 at 22:37
yes well that was straight to the point. Being from WA im unfamiliar with this paticular road.

But yes speed is an overrated factor especially when some limit's are there almost to make u speed. it's all about knowing you ability and what your car and the road can handle. northen WA long straght roads 140 no probs slow down for the odd goat/cow/emu.

Like the 2 idiots in sydney a WRX and a Honda i think no brains and no ability. imean if your going to drag do it at a woopass wednesday or out of town were the only people u injure will be yorself
FollowupID: 362461

Follow Up By: Member - Geoff & Karen - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:19

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:19
You are so out of it Jimbo. "get out of the fast lane". Well if he is on a single lane road, where is he supposed to drive, up the side od the road!

"IMO 100 km/h is way to slow on a well surfaced, uninterupted, fenced piece of road where there is no chance of oncoming or crossing traffic".
That is your opinion, but where do you see a speed limit of 110 on a single lane stretch of road, maybe there is in "your town", but that would be the only place, all the rest are 100.

"You said he took many km's to catch you at what you thought was the legal limit. Consider this; if you were in fact only doing 95 and he was doing 100, he would have caught you over time, as he did. Any wonder, in those circumstances, he got upset with you? You were holding him up and he was doing nothing wrong. I'm not saying this was the actual case but it is a possibilty."

So what if Ray was only doing 95 kmh. If thats what he thought was reasonable speed adn he felt safe to do that speed, well the WRX wanker should have had a little bit more patience and waited till it was safe to overtake. But then again apparantly when you are in a WRX you are ten foot tall and bullet proof. And he probably had his base ball cap on back to front.

"Any wonder, in those circumstances, he got upset with you? You were holding him up and he was doing nothing wrong".
Can I remind you Jimbo, for him to be tail gating is illegal, so how can you say he was doing nothing wrong!

"Mate, speed is an overrated factor in safety".
Speed is there for your safety and everyone else's. Imagine if we didn't have speed limits. How fast would wankers like this WRX driver and probably yourself travel then. Think of the inicent people that would die on our roads because of brain dead f*#k wits like him and you, who think you are expert drivers and go flat out.

Get a life Jimbo,
Waiting for your comment!
Karen
FollowupID: 362493

Follow Up By: Moose - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 13:34

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 13:34
Hey folks take it easy - things are getting a little heated here.
Jimbo - suggest you read the original post properly before commenting. It specifically states that he (Ray) was doing "just over the speed limit (100kmh)" so your crap about 95 is just that. Also he states that the Disco caught him "just a few kms further on" not many kilometres as you say. I know that section of road he talking about and overtaking lanes are few and far between and the road surface isn't the smoothest.
Ray - there are wankers driving all sorts of vehicles (including 4WDs) and unfortunately there's not much we can do about it. I'm surprised and disappointed at some of the dumb suggestions posted in reply to your comment.
FollowupID: 362499

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:34

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:34
I think Jimbo has a fair point. Unless you are driving with your GPS on you don't know how accurate your speedo is 10km's out is not uncommon at all. If you were doing 105km on your speedo, he could have been doing 105km on his speedo and been catching you 10km/hr faster. But hey, even if he was doing 10 k's over the limit, I agree that I see much more dangerous things every single days in the city and most of them are done at 60km/hr or less. I admit that I quite often do 5-10k's over the limit on good roads.
FollowupID: 362503

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:40

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:40
I would also like to add that I don't tailgate and I hate people who do, but if I'm going to pass someone I will go up there ass just before I pass as I normally need to give the ol' girl a bit of a runup before I go head on to the oncomming traffic. Nothing is more dangerous than these dim wits who pull out with there loaded up cars or crappy little city cars at 90k's an hour and then put there foot down while in the other lane. C'mon guys you not going to pick up speed that quickly. Spend as little time on the other side of the road as possible. My missus always says "what if they jam there brakes on as your speeding up". I say "I'd rather give them a kiss on the bumber then hit a landcruiser going the opposite direction at 110k's an hour!".
FollowupID: 362504

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:44

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:44
Oh, and to Karen comment. It was never stated that he thought he was doing a safe speed, he said he was doing just over the limit. There are a lot of roads that I do just over the limit on that I would quite happily feel safe driving fast if it was permited. If his speedo was out (as the argument was put) then he may have been doing 95km/h, not because he thought that was the safe speed to do on that road, but because he was under the impression that he was doing the speed limit. But it's all hypothetical anyway, so there's not need to get heated over it.
FollowupID: 362505

Follow Up By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:52

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:52
My 2c worth......

The "Speed Limit" is just that.... A LIMIT.

We don't HAVE to drive at 100 in a 100 limit zone.... but "legally" we can't EXCEED 100 in a 100 limit zone!

So if he WAS doing 95.... so what??

I would think that the guy in the TD5 was definitely being a wanker.

FollowupID: 362520

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 17:58

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 17:58
Ray,

It has been brought to my attention that it was not a freeway a I had assumed (rule 1, never assume). Therefore I withdraw my suggestion to get out of the fast lane.

Sorry,

Jim.
FollowupID: 362532

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:07

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:07
Karen,

You want a comment.

Calling someone a "brain dead f%$#wit", because you disagree with them, is discourteous, ignorant and decidely unladylike.

That's the only comment you will get from me. I will not enter into a debate with you until you can be civil.

Good Luck,

Jim.
FollowupID: 362534

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:55

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:55
Geez you lot get riled easily. Must be all that city living...hahahaha

Anyhow, I was in South Africa recently. Now there the speed limit is 120. Most people drive at 130/140.

The bloke who picked me up from the airport was quietly sitting on 180/190 on the open road. He slowed down to 160 when entering the outskirts of a town. At that moment a bloke in a small ute passed us as if we were standing still. Two burly fellas up front and five fellas in the back of the ute. No worries mate.

Our journey took 4.5 hours for the 500km with 6 large towns to pass through. I opted to sit in the back seat later as the speed crept up to 200 and topped once at 215. I was getting nervous.

They do have speed traps there but most people are armed so it is not always prudent for the cops to stop someone................
FollowupID: 362557

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:09

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:09
Willem, sounds like you had an exciting road trip and I'm pleased you didn't end up a statistic as it would appear there can huge penalty for this outrageous behaviour. Be safe.

JOHANNESBURG — A new review of the World Health Organisation report on road accident deaths released earlier this month shows that South Africa has contributed to Africa having the highest rate of road accident deaths in the world.

It says the continent has the world’s highest road traffic mortality rate of 28,3 per 100 000 population. It is followed by the low- and middle-income countries of the Eastern Mediterranean region, which has a 26,4 per 100 000 death rate, followed by South East Asia (18,6) and the Americas (16,2).The department of transport notes that the South African average mortality rate of 26,9 is only a few percentage points below the continental average.“These observations illustrate the fact that low- and middle-income countries carry most of the burden of the world’s road traffic injuries,” the report said.The report says that road accident deaths are expected to gradually drop in high-income countries of the world, but for low-income and middle-income countries are projected to escalate over the next 20 years and beyond.

The total annual costs of road crashes to low-income and middle-income countries are estimated at about US$65billion (about R440billion), exceeding the total annual amount received in development assistance. This is particularly costly to countries that are trying to build their economies and struggling with matters of development, it adds.

KwaZulu-Natal, the province with the highest number of deaths on its roads annually, is said to incur a cost equivalent to five percent of Gross National Product (GNP). The cost of road traffic collisions in South Africa for 2000 were estimated at approximately R13,8billion. Most road deaths in low-to-middle income countries are among pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists, the report shows.

THE WHO ESTIMATES THAT BETWEEN 20 AND 50MILLION PEOPLE ARE DISABLED EACH YEAR AS A RESULT OF ROAD ACCIDENTS AND THAT AN ESTIMATED 1,2MILLION DIE FROM ACCIDENTS ANNUALLY. ( SOURCE: SIQALANE TAHO, THIS DAY, 26 APRIL 2004)
FollowupID: 362559

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:23

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:23
G'day Ray

Yep, I live a charmed and lucky life. When your time is up it is up but it seems mine has a way to go....I hope lol
FollowupID: 362560

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:24

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:24
And while you're apologising, Jimbo, what about your assertion that 100 on a zook is unsafe, or that it doesn't have ABS and airbags? You could see from the rig pic what kind of zook he's driving (an XL-7).
Probably safer at 100 than a Terracan :-)))
FollowupID: 362561

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:48

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:48
Seriously Mungo,

Read it again. I said a WRX was more dynamically safe than an XL7, and it is. It will stop faster, has better primary safety etc. A WRX is safer at 130 than a Zook or a Terracan at 100. I've driven both a WRX and obviously a Terracan and I know the difference.

Your brand loyalty eludes me.

Your statement that an XL7 is safer than a Terracan is emotive nonsense designed to discredit me. It doesn't work. Whether a Terracan or an XL7 is safer I have no idea, all I know is they are not fine handling and stopping performance vehicles.

I'm lost. Obviously so are you.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 362563

Follow Up By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 21:56

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 21:56
"Your statement that an XL7 is safer than a Terracan is emotive nonsense designed to discredit me. It doesn't work."

Good grief, Jimbo, who's rattled your cage today? Have you never heard of smileys?
And where's that apology regarding ABS/airbags? :-)
FollowupID: 362576

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 18:15

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 18:15
Fair enough Mungo.

A bit short wasn't I? Missed the smiley. I've got a bit of SOL obviously. I'll get rid of it.

Sorry Mate.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 362715

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:42

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 14:42
reckon some of you boy racers need a reality check, I regulary come accross triple road trains when doing the 2wice daily drive between widgiemooltha and kambalda with limited straight stretches and with the passing power of a 1hz 70 series you either learn patience or drive like a #$% head and pass on blind corners or get patient
AnswerID: 105413

Follow Up By: locallaw - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:57

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:57
Gidday,
When you come up behind a road train you then grab the UHF and ask politely give us the OK when it is safe to pass.More than likely they will do that.I have done this on quiet a few times and no problems.
Seeya Locallaw
FollowupID: 362523

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 17:35

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 17:35
no good they are underground radios in the utes besides i know the road now and wait for the 2 straights and hope they are clear
FollowupID: 362530

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:20

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:20
Yeah I gave a truckie a hand with an IDIOT he was trying to pass going to Kal on Ch40, when it was my turn to pass the moron, he pulled his rig right out into the middle of the road and said "your right now mate,bring her round no ones gettin in your way". Perhaps not the most appropriate thing for him to do, but it was helpful for me and I did have to laugh. He was a top bloke.
FollowupID: 362535

Reply By: Wisey (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:25

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:25
Ray

there are many of these drivers on the road (all makes and models). I admit, I even try (hilux dsl) to get places quicker than others. A flick of the highbeams before/ on approach may let the other driver know " I'm in a hurry, and catching you up rapidly". I also allow some time for the other driver to allow/or not, a pass, with safety of course.

I don't beleive doing the speed limit is a problem but going well over, and trying to push "slower drivers" is.

I've talked to many big rigs and 4by's on the cb/uhf to get a green light to pass them and vice versa. You know how your travelling and a breif conversation with others lets them know what your doing as well.

Brake test anyone at speed and it could leed to serious consequences for all. Apart for a few top shelf Europ'n makes, real 4by's aren't up for this.

JMHO
Regards
Andy
AnswerID: 105440

Reply By: John - Qld - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:29

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:29
Steady on... you're giving TD5's a bad name.

When was this?

Wasn't a white disco was it. ;-)
AnswerID: 105450

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:56

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:56
yea steady on ... they dont need a hand with their bad name, they are big fellas, they can do it all on their own .. :P~
FollowupID: 362644

Follow Up By: John - Qld - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:12

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 15:12
let me guess Twruckster ....you were the last of the litter.
;-)
FollowupID: 362682

Reply By: Member - Ray C (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:32

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:32
Well, I didn't expect that response. What a mixed bag. Thanks everyone
I guess it is a case of you had to be there. The Speedo argument could have apply to any vehicle.
As Moose has already mentioned he knows the road but for those that don't it is the Mt Lindsey Highway between Beaudesert & Rathdowney.
There are no overtaking lanes, there are places to overtake yes but not at the point of my encounter and it is virtually all single lane highway. It is also a favourite spot for Radar activity
While all comments are welcome even the "questionable" ones I do suggest that if anyone is driving along this road have a look at the private memorials, one at the very spot where this happend. Drive 2kms towards Beaudesert and you will see the crosses where a family was totally wiped out, 3 or 4 kids and their parents from memory. Any locals would be only too aware of this.
Sorry but I wouldn't want it on my consience that I indirectly caused someone to be injured or even killed because of some direct action by me based on some of the advice above. No offence in this reply intended to anyone who has posted but under the same circumstances I will move over where I can.
Andy hit the mark for me. Given the mass of the TD5, the speed travelling and the distance between the vehicles I wouldn't mind betting it would be me that came off worse should something have happned.
I guess the point that I was making is not the actual incident itself which we all see too often but the fact that it was a large (at least compared to my Zook) 4wd.
That is something very rare from my experience,

Happy 4wdriving
AnswerID: 105451

Follow Up By: Rob! - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:04

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:04
I know that section of road.

Two friends of my were killed on that road a numbers of years back. I think they were overtaking another vehicle when a car entered their lane from a side property. The guy probably wasn't even looking in their direction as he didn't expect any cars coming that way. You can imagine what happened next and the car behind them ran into their rear as well.

So even though prople may think it's a safe speed, it's the unexpected that gets you.

R.
FollowupID: 362634

Reply By: Redback - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:45

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:45
Deary, deary me, grow up guys!!!
AnswerID: 105531

Sponsored Links