towing with a 90 series 3.4 petrol prado

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 12:57
ThreadID: 21824 Views:4021 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Still investigating my next purchase. Currently I'm comparing the 4.5 petrol gu with a 90 series 3.4 petrol prado. Can anyone with this sort of prado comment on towing a trailer of around 800kgs, in terms of fuel usage and overtaking ability.
Thanks, Rob.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 13:23

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 13:23
Both cars should be able to pull the trailer easily , but expect around 18-22L
per 100km while towing on the petrol. If you are going to tow a lot
you might be better of getting the diesel.
AnswerID: 105403

Reply By: Paul from Ozroamer Camper Trailers (Hire & Sales) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:57

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 16:57
Hi Robbg

We did a 25000km trip in 2003 with the wife & 3 kids towing a 1.2ton trailer over 8 months. The 2002 Prado did not miss a beat until I blew the diff on Pt Plummer beach about 4 hours from home. All was covered under Toyo warranty so no dramas.

I took the rig with trailer all over the Cape, Gulf, Kimberley region and Nth Western Australia over the worst roads I could find and I was really happy with the performance.

Before the trip I did have an ARB suspension upgrade, fitted BFG Muds and a few other mod cons.

One bit of advice - swap the Alloy bar for Steel if you can and keep an eye on the rear door as mine did sag and needed adjustment (the weight of the tyre). Also the steel straps holding the petrol tank bash plate both broke and I had to cable tie them until we got to Broome - Broome Toyo said that they brake all the time.

Overall it was a great trip made all that much better because of the Prado.

If you need more details please let me know.
AnswerID: 105424

Follow Up By: Robbg - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:04

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 18:04
Thanks Paul, I seem to recall another thread mentioning a blown diff. Is this a weakness of the prado? Also, were you satisfied with the power of the 3.4 petrol engine towing that load? What speed were you able to sit on during highway driving?
Thanks, Rob.
FollowupID: 362533

Follow Up By: Paul from Ozroamer Camper Trailers (Hire & Sales) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:32

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:32
There has been some mail about the Prado diff problem - mine was just that I was on a beach at High tide - way up the beach when there had been little rain and no really high tides for a time meaning that the sand was soft and the Camper was heavy and after 8 months I proberbly considered myself bulletproof - this was the only time I got bogged in 25000kms!!!!

Just 4 hours from home.

Toyo were not sure if the Transfer case went first and then the diff or visa. but as i said they were great and the only reason I now drive a 100series was because they could not get the parts from japan so close to Xmas so they lent me a 100 series for 4 weeks and say no more I loved it.

As for the speed and grunt I could not of been more happy. They (the 90) are a great rig. If I wanted very few could pass me but time was not a problem.
FollowupID: 362583

Reply By: Tbreak - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 23:37

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 23:37
Rob,

have had a 2nd hand 2000 built, 90 series 3.4l auto for a couple of years now. Over the last 12 months have done about 10k of towing a CT of about the weight you mention.

Prior to owning CT, Prado with roof pod, 2 adults, 4 kids & gear - about 11.5l/100 on a return trip to Melbourne on highway.

Towing CT, Prado with alloy bar, dual battery, roof pod, fridge, 2 adults & 4 kids - we did 5500k in three weeks thru Corner Country, Innamincka, Birdsville, Northern Flinders and overall consumption was approx 15.8l/100k.

As for overtaking ability - not much chance going up Victoria Pass, however if your a prepared to redline it, the Prado will respond & I have overtaken non-towing vehicles on uphill sections of F3 returning to Sydney.

It's a great vehicle although a little thirsty on short city hops.

Graeme
AnswerID: 105483

Sponsored Links