New Luggage sack

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 17:19
ThreadID: 21828 Views:2109 Replies:4 FollowUps:11
This Thread has been Archived
The proud owner of a new 1500 x 1200 x 2500 poly-canvas luggage sack. Got it from roof rack world adelaide for $230 (beat him down from $260 - best I could do). Looks tough, very good quality zip and the material looks indestructable. Went for poly canvas over straight canvas because I know that you are not supposed to touch canvas from the inside othewise it starts the flow. Hours spent on a still 4wd in pouring rain with stuff touching the inside would do this I thought, so went the poly. Completely and uncompromisingly waterproof. Same material as used on the ute toneau covers. Matches the camper trailer colour (black). Just thought I 'd let you know in case anyone wants any more info.

D-Jack
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:39

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 19:39
forgot to mention the sale bloke was doing pretty well making me think he knew about his products and 4wd touring in general, until I told him I wanted to put my tyre (tyre only) in the sack as well and fill the inside with dirty clothes/towels etc. He told me that the rubber on the tyre could wear throught he poly-canvas. I told him I think that was fairly unlikely as rubber on most tyres is fairly soft, and providing there was no rough edges should be OK. He replied, no rubber is very hard. Why do you think they call it rubber, because it rubs. I was hoping he was going to smile after that statement like he was joking, but unfortunately he wasn't.

Anyone got any idea the real reason it is called rubber? My guess is that Mr. Rubber invented it.
AnswerID: 105442

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 21:04

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 21:04
A really wild guess here, and totally out of left field, but ..... what about it coming from a rubber tree .... S.E. Asia's full of them.

Cheers cobber
FollowupID: 362566

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:22

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:22
Good try Rosco, as if there's such thing as a rubber tree!
FollowupID: 362582

Follow Up By: Patrolman Pat - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:33

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:33
Caoutchouc was the name for rubber used by the Indians of Central and South America. A natural substance that had been used for centuries before being rediscovered by Columbus and introduced to western culture. Caoutchouc came from the Indian word “cahuchu,” which meant “weeping wood.” Natural rubber was harvested from the sap that oozed from the bark of a tree. The name "rubber" comes from the use of the natural substance as a pencil eraser that could “rub out” pencil marks and is the reason that it was then re-named “rubber.”

Google is your friend
FollowupID: 362584

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:36

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:36
So there was a some truth to his statement - for the comments then I apologise again. However, I think unless my luggage sack is made of led or pencil it should be pretty safe from a 'rubber'
FollowupID: 362586

Follow Up By: Rosco - Bris. - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:14

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:14
Ficus elastica is the classic Rubber Tree, Rubber Plant or India Rubber Plant. Native to India and Malaysia, elastica is among the oldest plants used as houseplants worldwide.

Elastica leaves and stems and even wood 'bleed' white sticky sap when broken or damaged from which rubber can be made. Some people are allergic to this sap when applied to the skin.

FollowupID: 362601

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:15

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:15
I pick up my roof bag from Halls Canvas this friday arvo. Made from Rip-stop?(the stuff truckies tarps are made of)Cost $270 for 1800x1200x300 high. D-jack what measurement is 2500 on yours? Anyway they say its 100% water and dust proof.(don't they all lol) Just another option for Adelaide people.
AnswerID: 105448

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:34

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 22:34
2500 yeh right, I meant 250 (high) plus a bit extra. Sorry to throw you.
Is yours a straight canvas or is it poly coated. If you're talking about the sheets of material they have hanging from the top like a curtain, and clip it with multiple buckles at the bottom, is most likely the stuff mine is made of. Was looking at normal canvas (like on my camper trailer), but was a bit worried about it getting soaked (water may sit on it all night) and seeping though. Not that it would really matter, but I am planning on putting the quilt, pillows, sleeping bag and clothes up top and like dry bedding and clothing. I may be wrong about normal canvas, but for the minimal price difference (and also you can't get normal canvas in black!) I went the extra. Water beads off it (tried it out) and runs straight off. No absorbtion at all, and the dust and dirt won't get into the thread and mark it. Just my thoughts though and each to his own. I do like the look of the dark green ones same material and colour as a swag - they look pretty outdoorish.
Mine is a necessity because already have one 8 month old and another due in August - amazing how much extra stuff we need to take for one let alone 2!

Hope you get a lot out of yours. If nothing else they look cool!

D-Jack
FollowupID: 362585

Follow Up By: Gajm (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 23:37

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 23:37
I have an ordinary canvas one, and it has never leaked while full of gear, but it did fill with water one rainy night when the gear was out of it. The top of the bag sagged and water pooled in and eventualy leaked inside. I now put a short piece of wood with rubber chair stoppers each end inside the bag at night to prop it up like a small tent...no probs since
FollowupID: 362588

Follow Up By: Brew69(SA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:25

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 07:25
No mate it is definitely not like tonneau cover material. It is 12oz canvas which has stitching every 2 sq inches or so all thru the canvas. Will let u know how it fares as we have a trip coming up in a weeks time.
FollowupID: 362604

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:26

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 11:26
You paid extra for poly??? But poly is cheaper than canvas (about $40 cheaper for your size). I think they saw you coming!

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 362637

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:47

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 14:47
Jiarna I agree, Poly is cheaper than canvas (like the blue/green tarpaulins) but my luggage sack is made of poly coated canvas, canvas in the middle for strength treated with a poly coating either side for durability and waterproofness. Hence, how could something using extra materials and extra processing be cheaper? Ever paid for a toneau cover for a ute - their not cheap, there's not much to them but materials cost a fortune. How did you come to the $40 cheaper figure? Roof Rack City don't make a canvas one. OOPS I just realised I said Roof Rack World before, it was actually ROOF RACK CITY!! That may clear a few things up. Idiot D-Jack.

D-Jack
FollowupID: 362678

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:21

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:21
D-Jack,

Maybe you are being a little unkind to the staff at Roof Rack World?

The business is owned and run by brothers (don't know how many) and I have found them both knowledgeable and competitively priced.

He was probably only trying to help you.

I have also checked out these excellent bags, made locally.
Have one picked out, but need to buy the basket as well.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 105449

Follow Up By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:57

Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 20:57
Maybe I was being a bit hard, If either of the brothers are viewing this thread I'm sorry for my comments, but add to mention that I am more likely to buy something from someone who tells me that he doesn't know instead of making something up which in this case was a little patronising. (Except this time because I needed it for the weekend!) The discount made up for it!

D-Jack
FollowupID: 362564

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 18:14

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 18:14
Hi D-Jack

I got mine from Candy Canvas, and it's poly coated canvas just like you describe. My bag was quoted $265 for poly canvas, and $320 for plain canvas. Dunno why it's cheaper, but that was the quote.

Cheers
John
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 105597

Sponsored Links