GQ Patrol steering problem??

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 06, 2005 at 23:24
ThreadID: 21839 Views:2354 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I have recently purchased a 92 GQ Patrol which has a 2 inch body lift and 6 inch susp lift. It has a problem with the steering and I wonder if anyone has any ideas? Under acceleration it pulls slightly to the right (feels like torque steer) and when you take your foot off accelerator it then pulls slightly left. Just cruising it drives straight. I have lowered the panard rod to be level with the front diff - made it worse. I have ordered a modified steering rod which will then sit level with diff also. Someone suggested I also add a second damper to the st rod. Any ideas what will or won't help would be appreciated...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DukeAtty - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:04

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 08:04
With a lift like that the wheelbase would have shortened considerably making the steering so much faster and nervous..Every little fault the steering has will be hugely exaggerated by that..
If you havnt done so already you need to lengthen the wheelbase again by extending your diff arms... Sometimes the ol 3degree caster bushes dont do it fully...Especially with a 6 inch suspension lift...but they are ok for lining up the pinion yolks again to keep the vibes at bay...
AnswerID: 105498

Reply By: Vinnie - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:27

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:27
Ross T

It seems that the front end is not set up properly.

I would have it professionaly checked out by a reputable 4x4 suspension workshop.

There are a few factors as to why you are getting right/left under-steer but one comes to mind that the axle beam is not sitting level and the front wheels when turning are over aligned. Imagine if you keep rotating the axle beam up and see what the wheels do when steering - it probably sounds hard to explain in writing - but model it and you may see what I mean.

Extended and dropped torsion bars along with correct castor correction bushes fitted will get the axle beam back to level.

Vinnie
AnswerID: 105681

Sponsored Links