innaminka

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 20:34
ThreadID: 21869 Views:4044 Replies:9 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
i am planning a trip to innaminka via camerons corner leaving from dubbo with my family in the 2nd week of the holidays is it advisable to do this trip on our own we have a reliable 4x4 could anyone tell us what we would need to take in the way of drinking water an where you can get drinking water up there cheers Bob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Glenno - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 20:55

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 20:55
At Innamincka, drinking water is $9 for 10L from the Innamincka trading post. Camerons corner was pretty dry also (it didnt look like there was any apart from what the servo would sell).

There is plenty of water at Tiboburra if you come in that way, plenty also at Thargominda. We topped up our water at Thargominda and again at the caravan park near the Shell Servo at Tiboburra.

Heaps of silty creek water to swim in at Innamincka though!
Cheers,
AnswerID: 105643

Reply By: Member - Mike - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:01

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:01
G'Day westBob
You should have a trouble free trip from Dubbo to Innaminka - it's a reasonably easy trip now - plenty of supplies and fuel on the way. If you are comming up via Broken Hill or White Cliffs be sure to stop and explor the area around Milparinka & Tibourburra. If you are into fishing be sure to camp out at Cullymulla Waterhole (I think that's how's it spelt) for some great yellowbelly.
Of course carry drinking water etc. your won't be far from help on this trip.
If there shearing sheep - stop at Wakka - they welcome visitors (2004) and it would be a treat for the kids.
A couple of things to be aware of.
1 When driving over sand dunes - beware of oncomming traffic - use your radio.
2 Take your time don't rush it - enjoy a fantastic part of Oz.

Sand dunes will be encounted between Camerons Corner & Strezleicki Track.
(the kids will luv em)

Enjoy
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 105647

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:03

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:03
In my view Bob, same old story - most people have a trouble free and enjoyable holiday up there BUT people do have breakdowns (and it could ge very hot). It could get really wet too. You should have effective communications for the longer distances (not simply UHF/27 meg, especially if travelling solo). Most groups would have one Satphone or long distance HF between them (can be hired)- solos should of course have the same ability to communicate. Tiboobura caravan park (if you are a guest) might have the last good on that trip (in their tank), BUT it could of course be dry now. After that its just dams and creeks, like the famous Cooper (probably looks like a cup of Pablo coffee with milk now - yech - no good for drinking, but good enough for washing - I suppose).The trading post at Innamincka sells 10L casks of spring water. Might pay to ring them. Especially in the case with kids, I would not go up there without plenty of water on board (40L min ?), long distance comms and temporary shade gear etc. - just in case ! That way, Murphy will leave you alone and trouble the ill-prepared ! Have a good 'un - its great up there.
AnswerID: 105648

Reply By: Member - Mungo Explorer (NSW) - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:40

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 21:40
You don't say which way you're planning to go, and others have already given plenty of good advice, but I'd add that if going solo you must take two spare tyres on that trip - especially if you're going via Hungerford (great pub)-Thargomindah. The road is very rough, it's not called the "stony desert" for nothing. It's also pretty bad in places along the Tibooburra road, especially around Milparinka. I've done it once solo and got away with one spare (which I didn't even need) by driving very carefully, but have taken an extra spare ever since.
Also take care on the Strzelecki track around Moomba where some of the tracks made by the gas people are bigger than the main road. A good map and GPS help.
There should be quite a bit of traffic in the winter months so no major worries.
AnswerID: 105659

Follow Up By: Glenno - Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:25

Thursday, Apr 07, 2005 at 22:25
Although the trucks around Moomba are big, the roads are as smooth as a airport runway. They have a big road maintenance crew up there to keep the wear and tear down on the trucks - reduce accidents etc. They also have a poilcy at Moomba that all trucks / 4by's etc must have their lights on when working around the traps.

Cheers,

Glenn.
FollowupID: 362780

Reply By: Willem - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 14:33

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 14:33
At any given time, anywhere in Australia, always carry at least 10litres of water with you. When on outback trips carry at least 40 litres
AnswerID: 105735

Reply By: old-plodder - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:35

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:35
Have a friend going through Inmincka a tthe moment in a 1960s Studebaker Champ Ute, towing a van. Came up the Strzlecki and going to Thargaminda.
Having a good trip and no problems.
AnswerID: 105746

Reply By: Member - toohey - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 18:48

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 18:48
giday westbob
done that trip mate,go'in to birdsville,turn left at bourke youse' will love it my rule of thumb is 10lt per person. regards toohey.
AnswerID: 105765

Reply By: westBob - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 22:07

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 22:07
thank you all for your helpful information i had intended to carry 2 spares for the car so i guess i should carry 2 for the trailer as well..is cheers Bob
AnswerID: 105798

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 14:59

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 14:59
Bob,

At Innamincka, give Belinda and Bob a hug from me and Marie (you might need to say Geoff and Rosemarie Barby) and tell them we love them, they are the salt of the earth.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 105889

Sponsored Links