Mapping question update post 21547

Submitted: Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 15:51
ThreadID: 21880 Views:1907 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
My PC mechanic, who has a much younger brain, installed Windows XP Home over the top of Windows 98SE on my laptop.

Only a few normal programs had to be reloaded such as MS Word and MS Excel.

All my mapping, Oziexplorer, Hema GDT and UBD Australia, is functioning. I had to type in Oziexplorer serial number again but that was all I had to do. Everything works well.

Some programs open a bit slower (up to 10 seconds) as I only have 256RAM in the system but I can live with that.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:08

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:08
G'day Willem.
Sounds like you had a win - with that upgrade, all hell could have broken loose !
I'm starting to sniff at mapping technology - seems hand held colour/map GPS's have very ordinary mapping available (proprietry I think the man called it), while Laptops open up a whole world of affordable topographic info, from various sources (even our own scans). Question is, do you use your set up while mobile, interfacd with a GPS or just have a look at the maps while sitting round the fire ?
Transmission project ok ?
AnswerID: 105744

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:57

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:57
Hi Banjo

I started using the GPS/Laptop combination and it is a fun thing to begin with but I find it too distracting. Frankly what I do is to plan my trip and print out paper maps of the route I intend to take. I have used my maps in anger on two occasions over 3 years when track turnoffs were not where they were supposed to be. Then I connected the system which took about five minutes and established exactly where my position was.

I have tried to set up a laptop base inside both my vehicles which have not been very successful. Member-Eric even very kindkly made a base for me but it didnt work due to many factors. I then remade that particular base but took it down again as it was inpinging on my drivers position.

I like using my GPS to find height ASL and correct travelling speed. It is also handy for waypoints if needed. I would only use my laptop/GPS linked if I had to retrace my steps when in an offroad situation.

The gearbox issue has been resolved to a point. Found out that the flywheel had been heat stressed by the previous owner and is out of balance. Put everything back in with new seals, spigot bearing and thrust bearing. Will have a look at my options when I get back from holiday.
FollowupID: 362898

Reply By: Muka - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:54

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:54
I used to have oziexplorer on a panasonic toughbook, but i have never had a real use for it, what i now have is pajero with some sort of system built into the bloody radio, it seems fine in the city to find the nearest bottle shop, but when you head out bush (where i live) i have a very blank screen, does nay one know if i can get maos into it??, or is what you see what you get. I would get shot by the cook if i rigged up the toughbook in her new 4x

cheers

Marty in Muka WA (Mukinbudin)
AnswerID: 105747

Follow Up By: Willem - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 20:01

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 20:01
Hi Marty

Wouldn't have a clue about the Pajero Sat?Nav thingy. I would surmise that it would have its own database and operating system and probably would not have enough space to load any mapping to it. This is a bit out of my league. Better post it as a real question on the forum. Would be interesting to see the answers.
FollowupID: 362899

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 08:50

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 08:50
Thanks for the feedback Willem - I currently use a Lowrance GPS on a mount by the A pillar - good performer - plot trails, position, ways, speed + a lot more etc. Think I'll simply access topographic maps from here and there (I can print them out at work from a mates CD) and if I get lost I can reference the current position from the GPS onto those maps "by eye" ! The direct GPS feed to a laptop screen is great for those that must have it, but I don't want to wrestle with a running computer while mobile (anyway, SWMBO is using the best place to put it, at present) - and PC glitches, conflicts gremlins and error messages are not what we need when camping !Onya.
AnswerID: 105838

Sponsored Links