Hilux Tyres - 80% on road/20% off

Submitted: Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 15:58
ThreadID: 21881 Views:2554 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi there,

I'm Melbourne-Collingwood-based, and have to buy a full set of tyres ($!) for my dual cab diesel Hilux. I drive 80% on road, which is mainly in and around the city/citylink, and the other 20% off road is when I get away for the odd big trip. Could anyone recommend a make and model of tyre, and where to get it from, especially if there's any discounts...I have my Exploroz card, as well as RACV.

I posted a question about a 4wd service centre a while back and got loads of helpful responses, and am booked into Guest 4wd next week, so thanks to all who helped.

Cheers guys and gals,

Simon
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Leroy - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:10

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 16:10
Guest sell tyres so have a chat and see what they stock. They're a good mob. I just find them a little on the expensive side.

Leroy
AnswerID: 105745

Reply By: Exploder - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 18:43

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 18:43
Hi Simon

Well I am only going to give u information on the 3 4WD tyres I have had any personal experience with.

1.The originator. The mighty Bridgestone Desert Dueler.
My grandfather had them on both of his patrols. Took them round Australia twice and everywhere in-between. Got about 75000 out of each set
All I can say about them is if they didn’t work he wouldn’t of brought them.

2. Uniroyal AWT. Had them on my truck when I got it about half worn. Not a bad tyre didn’t see a lot of off road when I had them. Just up around the goldfield’s [That’s Kalgoorlie] and the previous owner my uncle about twice a year off road. Would of got them again but couldn’t figure out who the hell sold them and the cooper had deeper tread which brigs me to.

3 Cooper yes it’s been said1000 times on the forum. And another 1000 for BFG so there had to be something to it.
Cooper AT. The warranty sold me YEH RIGHT.
As I do a lot of my driving in Perth to and from work about 500 a week The AT were a good choice as the tread isn’t too aggressive but still preform well enough in the bush and goes well on sand. Had them up in station country around Easter nice and rocky.

No chips and no punctures. Not bad fore 4 tools belting around the bush looking for the big lakes we saw from the top of MT Singleton mate almost bogged his 80 series on the edge of the clay flat’s after a bit of rain. But that’s why you brig the explorer along to pull the toy motors out ha. OH GOD DON’T KILL ME. I had to get one in fore team ford.
You r looking at close to $1000+ for a set of tyres.

Not sure about tyre supplier’s in Victoria but in WA its tyre power for Cooper and Bridgestone






AnswerID: 105763

Reply By: nico - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:56

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 19:56
Maybe try the new cooper ATR they look like a fairly good allrounder..
And like someone said before Guests are a good place
AnswerID: 105777

Reply By: madlee - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 20:03

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 20:03
I would recommend the bridgestone desert dueler 604.I think they are a great tyre.In Brisbane you can get 31x10.5x15,set of 4 for between $560 & $600.
AnswerID: 105779

Reply By: The Jack - Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 21:04

Friday, Apr 08, 2005 at 21:04
Coopers Coopers Coopers
I can't say more. Forget the price their great.
AnswerID: 105791

Reply By: Member - Sam (NSW) - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 20:38

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 20:38
Simon,

I've had a set of Cooper S/T's on my dual cab diesel Hilux for the past 60,000kms. I've had them out in Corner country and down through the notorious roads in the Gammon and Flinders Ranges and in the whole 60,000kms i've never had a puncture. They have worn well on the bitumen.

They are a tad noisy on the black top, but driving a diesel masks this a bit and personally, tyre noise doesn't seem to worry me all that much (even if the engine was quieter than a tick fart), but I know it anoys some people.

hope this is of some help

cheers,
Sam.
AnswerID: 105928

Sponsored Links

Popular Products (14)