hand held uhf radios

Submitted: Saturday, May 12, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 219 Views:2429 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
I am thinking of buying a hand held uhf radio. I would like to know how efficient are they? Are they adequate for car to car comms? If they are I think they would be very handy and versitile.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nigel - Saturday, May 12, 2001 at 00:00

Saturday, May 12, 2001 at 00:00
Handheld UHFs have less transmitter power (usually 1 watt or less) compared to 5 watts in mounted UHFs. The antenna on handhelds is also less efficient than a vehicle mounted antenna. We have a 300 mW handheld that we lend to people without a UHF when travelling in convoy, and as long as we stay within a few kms of each other it works fine (need to be closer in hilly terrain). Try to get a handheld with all 40 channels and one that has duplex mode for use with repeaters (if you are in range of a repeater than a handheld will have the same coverage as a vehicle mounted UHF on the repeater channel). Depending on what you will expect from your UHF you might also consider a handheld that allows connection of an external antenna, so you can get the benefit from a vehicle mounted antenna.
AnswerID: 452

Reply By: Darryn Jones - Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00

Tuesday, May 15, 2001 at 00:00
Mark all Uhf h/helds have all 8 repeater channels fitted and with the exception of one or two all have 40 channels. Most makers offer units with full 5 watts output and the ability to connect to external antennas and power supplies with some models having programable scan modes and programable selcall. The only problem is the cost of the better units plus the extras such as external microphone, 12vdc lead, antenna adaptor and possibly a mounting bracket you could almost buy two standard radios for the price. I suggest finding a club (4wd or radio) nearby and talking to some of the members as there will be someone with some experience who will set you in the right direction.
Regds Darryn
AnswerID: 476

Reply By: Allan - Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 00:00

Wednesday, May 16, 2001 at 00:00
Mark, We went through the same deliberations but in the end decided on a conventional UHF radio permanently mounted in the vehicle and with the money saved, also purchased a cheap Uniden UH054 handheld UHF (from Dick Smith) as a backup. The total setup was still cheaper than one expensive handheld with accessories to mount in a vehicle. This little hand held works fine between vehicles travelling in convoy for friends that don’t have a radio in their vehicle or when out hiking. It also gets used in the dinghy when out fishing to call back to the base vehicle.
AnswerID: 487

Reply By: Narelle - Sunday, May 20, 2001 at 00:00

Sunday, May 20, 2001 at 00:00
Mark, I purchased a pair of Uniden UHF hand helds a couple of months ago. They were only about $100 each and have been the right choice for me. We have used them in car to car communication and also at the recent caravan and camping show so we could go our own way and meet up. I am now happy for the kids to go exploring from our campsite without staying in sight as they take a radio and we check in every 15 minutes or so, it gives them some independence and me some peace of mind. They have certainly been a great buy as far as Im concerned.
AnswerID: 514

Sponsored Links