Prado clutch shudder

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 15:30
ThreadID: 21905 Views:3501 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have just signed up to buy a 2001 50th anniversary landcruiser Prado with 70000 kms on the clock. Engine is 3.4 litre petrol. The only problem that I am concerned about is some clutch shudder and slight scoring on the rear brake discs.
These problems are supposed to be fixed before I pick it up however I am curious to know if others have experienced this in a prado and what the cause and fix is.

Regards
Dazz.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: herkman - Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 19:28

Saturday, Apr 09, 2005 at 19:28
Clutch shudder on Toyotas is not a new problem. Is usually caused by clutch disk being out of line, or the centre pivot becoming loose on the plate.

Slight scorring on the disks, would not be unusual at that milage.

So if dealer has changed the driven clutch plate, and the shudder is gone, you should not have to worry. Problem could be also caused by soft engine/gearbox mounts.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 105916

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 00:30

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 00:30
Scoring on the rear discs could be from the pads being left to run right down before being replaced. Discs should be skimmed.

Is it auto ? I love it when I follow a car with it's brake lights continually on !! This wears the brakes very quickly and causes them to over heat which can warp the discs out of shape. It's funny cos when I was taught to drive, I got a tap on the leg if my left foot went anywhere near the brake pedal. Lazy driving is what my oldman called it.

Another cause of this is sometimes mud has stuck to the part of the disc that the pads do not come into contact with, and causes rapid corrosion.
AnswerID: 105956

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:20

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:20
Don't agree that left foot braking is lay driving.
It's the method taught by professional safety driving schools.

Allows instantaneous application of the brakes, thus improving braking efficiency and safety.

I got into the habit driving sprint karts many years ago.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 363051

Reply By: 80scruiser - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 20:42

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 20:42
Disc's don't warp. They get DTV ( disc thickness variation)
I will put a page on my website about it and then place a post on here when its done.
AnswerID: 106040

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:04

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 22:04
Singnificant shudder is uncommon - very mild shudder is common. Common fix is to thrash the hell out of the clutch - I expect the dealer will get one of the boys to do this for you :-))

Rear disk scoring is common on Prados and doesn't affect brake performance - the calipers are a bit exposed, so can collect sand etc. Don't worry about it.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 106053

Follow Up By: Dazz78 - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:34

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:34
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like not too much to worry about and will pick up the vehicle tomorrow. It has already been fitted out with all offroad extras that I would normally have fitted myself but has not done all that much offroad work. Hopefully a good rig, time will tell.

Regards
Dazz.

FollowupID: 363232

Sponsored Links