Croc jumps boat

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 08:48
ThreadID: 21916 Views:2553 Replies:9 FollowUps:16
This Thread has been Archived
I heard about this on the news - and only five weeks to go till our Kimberley trip. Croc jumps ship!
We have our 3.75 metre tinnie and motor ready for some leisurely fishing in the Kimberley on a nice quiet river. Now I have told Jen that this was at night and we will not be out at night, and that we will be watching out for them, and that we won't be staying in the same spot for ages etc but she still reckons that she doesn't want to go out in the boat.

So what do you reckon - should I trade her before the trip?

Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 08:55

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 08:55
Just a random freaky thing Jen.

I would'nt worry about it. It's fairly safe.

You'll be right.

It's OK!
AnswerID: 105969

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:02

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:02
Andrew, now that you've shown Jen that reply, read this.

Mate you wouldn't catch me at night in a boat on a river "East Alligator River" ???

Be careful : )
FollowupID: 363039

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:53

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:53
I personally have a huge problem with tour companies encouraging crocodiles to be attracted to boats by feeding them and ecouraging them to leap out of the water. Here in North Queensland we observe our crocs and don't interact with them. I notice also at Cooinda, Yellow Waters at Kakadu, they also just observe thier crocs. This is the second time in less than 12 months I have heard of crocs jumping into boats at Kakadu. Crocs are creatures of habit for millions of years, we humans who have been here for a mere blink of an eye in the grand sceme of things, are teaching them mighty bad habits. In my view it is just a matter of time before there is a serious incident on the Alligator River system. I am with you Jen let common sense prevail. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 363049

Reply By: Mike Harding - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:23

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:23
>So what do you reckon - should I trade her before the trip?

Well... you've been married for a while and there's the children to think about... but... "a change is as good as a rest" they say :)

Personally I wouldn't go on a croc river in a 12 foot tin boat but then I am a gibbering coward when it comes to crocs. I won't go anywhere near the bastards without the 12 gauge loaded with solid shot and another few rounds in my pocket.
Maybe I'm a bit over the top - but I'm still alive.

Mike Harding
AnswerID: 105972

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:10

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:10
Gee mate .... my English is not the best..... my worst Year 12 subject.......I was talking about trading the boat!!

Thanks for your encouragement regarding the boat.

Andrew
FollowupID: 363044

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:42

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:42
I thought you were talking about trading Jen too?

In another post you made to me today you asked if I thought she was a spunk.

I was think about a straight swap for my Mrs. but you'd have to make up the balance with cash and/or a radio or something of similar value.

FollowupID: 363055

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 14:19

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 14:19
ROTFALMAO, I thought you were talking about the missus too!!!
I was going to suggest you hold on to her because you loose to much money when trading in wives. ;-)
At least if you traded the boat you'd be getting money back, not costing you more!! LOL
FollowupID: 363197

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:18

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:18
Andrew & Jen,

My boat is a 3.4 tinnie so yours is a big one!.

After talking to the locals, I had no problem at all in using mine and fishing from it in the Roper, Adelaide and Daly Rivers.
(Just don't fall out of it)

How are you getting it up there? Surely not on top of the T-Van?
Or have you put a boat rack on top of the cruiser?

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 105976

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:35

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:35
Hi Sand man
Jen here. Andrew is out having a fiddle with the tinnie up on the roof of the cruiser!!!

Yes I am a wimp but I have been dreaming crocs for about a month and now this is on the news!!! A bad omen?????

I think it will take a hell of a lot of convincing by locals before I or my kids get into that tinnie on a river up there.... now Andrew... he can do whatever!!!!

Jen
FollowupID: 363046

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:48

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:48
Thanks for the compliment mate!!

Just loaded a photo of the boat on the car in the driveway this morning so if you click on my rig profile.....
FollowupID: 363048

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 07:14

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 07:14
Andrew,
Boat looks good on the roof mate.

Jen,
Come on girlie, Andrew can patch you up if something happens:-)
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 363148

Reply By: Member - Nick (TAS) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:48

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 10:48
Gday Andrew,in 2003 we were camped at the Mardugal C/G in Kakadu when this guy pulled up and asked if I'd like to go fishing with him as his girlfriend was sick of going.Wanting to have a crack at a Barru,I jumped at the chance.Now this boat turned out to be about a 10ft tinnie and with two of us flicking lures about wasnt real stable.Anyway after a couple of hours fishing i hooked a beauty and fought him for about 5min before he flicked the lure out.It was then i looked behind us and spotted this Croc about 20 feet behind us and about 2 ft longer than the boat.NOW I look at the freeboard on this boat and its about 8".All this Croc would have to do is lift his head out of the water and snavell one of us(thankfully he passed the boat,close enough to spit on).This was the one we saw,who knows what passed under us underwater without being seen.Kept fishing for a while but things just didnt feel "right"
AnswerID: 105981

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 14:28

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 14:28
Nick ,
That car topper boat of Andrew's looks like it might only have 8" of freeboard too .
Don't go out a night Andrew .
Willie .
FollowupID: 363201

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:09

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:09
Hi Big Kidz,

I'm with Jen!! Tony thought it would be a lovely idea if I walked across the Pentecost River to take the ubiquitous photo of the troopy and trailer coming across. I'm not stupid, I can read the signs that say beware of saltwater crocs! As for trading her in - I think when you are on a good thing, stick to it!!!

Enjoy your trip. Where did you end up deciding to go? We are going to Broome again in June/July, but to live this time! I've got a job up there, and we've bought a house and everything. Can't wait!

Have fun
Cheers
Anni
AnswerID: 105982

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:48

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:48
Hi Anni

We will be just in time for the house warming - hahahahaha

I think we are in Broome around 5th July. Nice to catch up with a local - surely you will have done the initiation by then. I hear you have to streak down the main street so you and Tony should be 'in' by then.

What has happened to your studies??

Andrew
FollowupID: 363059

Follow Up By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:00

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 13:00
Hi Andrew,

We'd love to see you if we are there by then. My start date has not yet been confirmed, but I'm guessing I'll start in June sometime,while the students are on holidays. I'll send you a member message closer to the date with our address and phone number.

I'm still studying! I'm doing my Grad Dip by distance education, so I can take it with me!! I think I'm mad trying to do so much at once, but never mind, I'll cope! Mind you there must be some advantages to doing distance education while working on another university campus.

Enjoy what remains of the weekend.
Cheers
Anni
FollowupID: 363067

Reply By: Member - Andrew R (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:34

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:34
Andrew,

Jen is not going to have a problem with that 357 Magnum in her back pack.
You might be in trouble though!!
AnswerID: 105985

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:50

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:50
I think I will be OK coz the crocs will see Jen's gun, then look at me and think that I have got a 357 in my pocket!!

Cheers
FollowupID: 363060

Reply By: GOB & denny vic member - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 16:02

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 16:02
goodday all
sorry andrew my missus has crocaphobia when we were at cahills crossing 2 yrs ago she had a quick look around saw 5 crocs within about 150m backed up the boat ramp and that was it took her bit of video from the top of the ram reckons we were mad
personally i reckon it was the blokes fishing in the middle of the ford that had a bigger problem than me

steve
AnswerID: 106004

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 14:37

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 14:37
Steve ,
I was applying for a gun licence once in Darwin and the sargent showed me a picture of a torso without a head - cut clean off at the shoulders and lying on a slab .
The victim had been fishing on the Eastern side and the tide had started to come in . He tried to get back and got swept off the crossing . He swam towards the western bank and was pulling himself out onto an overhanging branch , when a croc took his head off .
When I was fishing there last time the rangers were in the process of trapping a big croc which had bitten a hole in the boat of a bunch of guys from Shimano .
They aint friendly up at the crossing !
The only time I have had a real scare was fishing at night at Shady Camp . I NEVER fish at night now .
Willie .
FollowupID: 363204

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 17:59

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 17:59
I hope that Jen related the crocodile stories I posted in the chatroom a couple of days ago about encounters of the toothy kind. I have had a few run-in with crocs over the years.

I agree that feeding the crocs and making them jump for food isnt a good idea in the long run though most of this activity is confined to the Adelaide River. My old mate there has made a fortune in the tourist trade with his Jumping Croc cruises. Whether the crocs would migrate from ther Adelaide River to the East Alligator is a point which probably has not been analysed. Do crocs communicate and tell of their experiences?

Boat motors have been bitten off in the past by agro crocs.

There are some big crocs in the Kimberley Rivers and I would be very wary of putting a boat in the water there, especially on the King Edward River. The locals might know their way around and have the nouse about the local crocs, but you, being a city boy(no offence intended), don't know the local conditions. If I were you then I would think very carefully about your proposed fishing venture up there in the Never Never country. Maybe it would be better to err on the side of safety.

Anyway have a good holiday.
AnswerID: 106019

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 21:27

Sunday, Apr 10, 2005 at 21:27
I guess that you are right again Willem. I reckon though that if I get local advice and take things quietly then I should be right. I would not think about fishing at night. Too spooky for us city fellas as a lot of places don't even have street lights up there!

Keep well Willem. Jen did tell me about your Croc tales. Lachlan was telling me about them as well with wide eyes....Willem the Croc stepper-on-a.

Andrew
FollowupID: 363125

Follow Up By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 00:19

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 00:19
I doubt crocs communicate no phone service up that way but they are capable of being very mobile. That whole system floods during the wet and its nothing for a croc to swim or even walk huge distances. They have been seen swimming off the continental shelf east of Cairns. To put things into perspective more people are killed by bee stings than crocs each year but folks, if your in Northen Oz specially the Teritory, be very aware and respectful of Crocs. Cheers Rob
FollowupID: 363145

Follow Up By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 14:49

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 14:49
Willem ,
I heard an interesting story last week . I have a mate who has been guiding for 15 years . In that time , he has never seen a crock take a hooked barra - that was until last week on the South . He lost two fish in three days and the areas were a long way apart .
He reckons because we had the worst wet in many years , the crocs are not getting their usual amount of food and are trying things they normally would not .
We might see some odd things this year with boats and with guys fishing off barrages . I hope not , but I know that I am going to be extra vigilant when I go to the Daly this month .
Cheers ,
Willie

PS . Re jumping crocs .
I had been out pig shooting on Carmor Plains with an American business friend . I had been pulling his leg pretty badly and in the end he steadfastly refused to believe me , when I told him we had kangaroos that climbed trees . So as we neared the Adelaide River I started telling him about the jumping crocs . Well he told me that if I expected him to believe that blah blah blah . Well ,as we went over the bridge , the boat was right there and right on cue , a croc launched itself out of the water to get it's meal . The look on his face was priceless .
Cheers ,
Willie .
FollowupID: 363205

Reply By: Wombat - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:09

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 11:09
I tell tou what Andrew, If Jen gets eaten by a croc she'll never talk to you again!
AnswerID: 106122

Sponsored Links