Dusty Jackaroo

Submitted: Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2194 Views:1704 Replies:6 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
We have a '94 model jackaroo which fills with dust when travelling over dirt roads. It seems to enter the cabin through the interior side panels in the back, where the jack etc is located. The rear doors seal ok as there are no telltale signs present. Has anyone had a similar problem?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: member-skippyking - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
Stork, try running your cabin fan at 3 or 4 on the air from outside setting when on dusty roads, not the recirculate, as this "preassurises" the cabin. SK
AnswerID: 7747

Reply By: phil - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
I agree about pressurising with the fan.
The worst thing to do is to have a front window down a bit. There is a low pressure area just behind the front piller in most vehicles and with the window open it really sucks the dust in to the cabin through any openings.
AnswerID: 7764

Reply By: JackJones - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
In most 4WD's, there are usually vents near the D pillars. Cover these vents on the inside with some packaging tape. You may have to remove an internal panel to get to the vent hole, but the packaging tape stops any dust ingressing into the cabin and also helps with the already mentioned "pressurisation" technique.

Jack
AnswerID: 7780

Reply By: Stork - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks all for the replys.We be sure to try your suggestions very soon. Thanks again.
AnswerID: 7797

Reply By: CJ - Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00

Friday, Oct 25, 2002 at 00:00
Pressurising the cabin is the solution, but if the car has 'holes' everywhere then this will be hard to achieve. Try placing a bright light source inside the car in a darkened garage , then look around/under the car for 'leakage'. You may be supprised to 'see the light'. Rubber bungs that have gaps, gaps between body panels etc. The largest holes I have found were from around the tail light cluster and sometimes the rear door lock. Even moving the door striker slightly so the door closes firmer on the rubbers can help. Lifting up the floor covering may expose more holes.
Good luck - these comments are not Jackaroo specific !
AnswerID: 7839

Reply By: Fred - Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00

Sunday, Oct 27, 2002 at 00:00
Hello Stork,
Without wanting to stir up any controversy re brands, I find my Prado lets no dust in ... and I've been on many VERY dusty trips. So my advice is try Toyota for your next 4wd. The pressurising suggestion seems sound but I feel it shouldn't leak under any circumstances. I have used recirculate many times when in convoy and not the leader and had absolutely no problems. I do use the pressurising trick when opening the back door.
AnswerID: 7889

Sponsored Links