Misfire in 4.5lt petrol Landcruiser

Submitted: Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 09:41
ThreadID: 21945 Views:10828 Replies:5 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

Have got a slight problem with our 80series petrol landcruiser. It is a intermittent problem and it does not want to go away. Every now and then when you start the 4by up it will give of a puff of smoke and then start misfiring. Stop the car and restart it and it has gone. Then sometimes it will come back while travelling, esp once above 80klms. Taken vehicle to local Toyota dealer and they have checked every thing out, even taken the head off to check the valves and their seats, as well as piston and rings. The high tension leads and all else have checked out fine. They still dont know what is wrong. Wondering if anyone has had the same problem or know what might be causing this? It is rather frustrating, as I do get a very good fuel milage until this starts going on. (Lucky to get 600ks from both standard tanks) Rather hard on the hip pocket when travelling about.

Thanks.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:50

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 12:50
More info please...what colour smoke, how long does it misfire for?
I suggest you buy a factory workshop manual for the motor and a multimeter and start at the beginning...and work your way through....it may be the oxygen sensor, flow meter or the engine temperature sensor...fuel pump, fuel regulator or the fuel cap....all these can be checked easily, and as you have stated earlier, if you think it is one thing, without testing it, it ends up costing more than a new car.
If you dont know how to do this, I would be taking it back to Toyota and telling them you are not happy they have failed to diagnose properly, and expect them to keep looking untill they find the problem, and dont pay any more till its rectified and then only pay for the faulty part...
Andrew
AnswerID: 106133

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 13:39

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 13:39
Sorry, the smoke is bluish in colour and only happens on startup, sometimes lasts for a short time. The misfiring can be unpredictable in its time. Last maybe an hour or so on a trip or can stop as quick as started. Do have the manual and have tried what it suggests. Found that the temp sensor was faulty, after replacement the prob was still there. Toyota have been great trying to find out this problem. Haven't charged a cent unless something found wrong. It is frustrating them too, (not making any money is more to the point I think), though the mechanic is great. Try to get vehicle to them while having this intermitent problem happening is almost impossible. Doesn't happen while in town often enough.
FollowupID: 363190

Follow Up By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:28

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:28
Mate, Blue indicates oil.....does the motor use any? does the compression check out???
The only other thing you can do is wait till it does it again, and immediately turn it off....and pull all the plugs out...you will see that one or two will be oiled up, in which gives you another clue....if i had xray vision, id suggest it is a cracked head and the oil is coming from the main oil feed to the cams, which is next to no1 piston. But i dont have xray vision...next thing to try would be the PCV valve...change that and see if it stops the problem.
Andrew
FollowupID: 363228

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 19:10

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 19:10
Thanks, didn't think about the PCV, might look at that. Toyota thought it was leaky valve covers, that is with oil running down the shaft when motor turned off, they check that and the rings and head when pulled apart, nothing found wrong. Like I said, it is only when first started up (I mean first thing in the morning, any other time it isn't there) then it disappears.
FollowupID: 363240

Reply By: Moose - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 13:31

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 13:31
Was the air snorkel (the rubber bit between the air cleaner and engine) checked for cracks? You need to take it off to do this.
AnswerID: 106141

Follow Up By: Moose - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 13:34

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 13:34
Actually you should be able to check by just lifting the air cleaner lid with the other end of the snorkel still attached. Look in the folds on the underside.
FollowupID: 363189

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 13:42

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 13:42
Have done that and also had the throttle body cleaned out and problem still there.
FollowupID: 363191

Follow Up By: Exploder - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:21

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:21
Yep sounds like they have been trying really hard to find the problem for you. So not sure if anything I can suggest will help but just one thing they may of overlooked.

Now when you say they have checked everything, have you tried replacing the fuel filter and putting in a bottle or 2 of injector cleaner in it you will be surprised at what this stuff will achieve.

Also blue smoke generally indicates oil burning (black is just petrol) how many k’s does it have on it. When you start it up and see the blue smoke give it a good rev if a nice cloud of it comes out you could my be needing a new set of rings.

What has Toyota said about the smoke?
FollowupID: 363227

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 19:20

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 19:20
Exploder

Replaced fuel filter just recently on its last service. Haven't tried injector cleaner. Only got 165000ks on the clock. Once reved there is no puff of smoke of any kind. As for the smoke Dozer mentioned the PCV valve. One thing I or Toyota haven't tried yet.
FollowupID: 363242

Follow Up By: Nick R - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 21:01

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 21:01
I also have a LC80 which does this intermittently, only usually lasts 5 minutes and is worse when under load. An intermittent problem is a !@##@%! to find, fingers crossed it hasn't done it for about 2 weeks now, post again if you figure it out, I will if i manage to first. mine has about 200k on the clock.
NickR
Carpe Cerevisi

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 363263

Follow Up By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 22:07

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 22:07
Hi Nick,

Glad to see that mine isn't the only one. Will do.
FollowupID: 363271

Reply By: BenSpoon - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:09

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 18:09
Toyota, doing a tune up on mine, cracked the air hose to the throttle body- car made itself stall, wouldnt run under 1500rpm, cut fuel randomly at high revs... Took them 2 days to find the problem.

Check for cracks in the air hose to the throttle body, also take off the electrical plug for the oxygen sensor, blow it out and cover all the pins and connectors with contact cleaner. May be worth checking the harness for any pinches and cuts- seems odd that the problems kick up at 80, and not just at a certain rpm level.
AnswerID: 106196

Reply By: Swine Hunter - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 19:07

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 19:07
Hi there,

Perhaps it could be intermittent electronic ignition module or pick up coil/crank angle sensor (not sure what system 80 series ULP uses)

These components are often the cause of much angst with intermittent faults in petrol EFI vehicles.

Cheers,
Wayne
AnswerID: 106207

Reply By: Toy_Hilux - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 22:12

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 22:12
Thanks to all,

Now have a few more areas to check out and see what happens. More time spent in the workshop instead of out and about, but you get that.

Happy touring.
AnswerID: 106244

Sponsored Links