GU Suspension

Submitted: Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 15:43
ThreadID: 21963 Views:3101 Replies:9 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Well after studying several sources of information I was satisfied with the information I had read and the decision I had reached - it seemed so simple, HD King Springs and adjustable long travel Koni shocks. I then went to start collecting prices - now this is when it starts to get confusing. I had the part numbers for the springs so this part was very easy although I was amazed at the difference in prices between one distributor and another. I was advised to get a swaybar extension kit by one supplier although each supplier I contacted after this said "just remove the rear swaybar mate" including the more popular 4wd stores when I asked for the price of the extension kit. ARB advised the caster correction bushes would be neccessary with a 2" lift @ $260:00 although everyone else disagreed with this - I wasn't suprised after what I have read about ARB on this forum. Then the corker - I contacted the Koni importers for a price on there shockies, where I was advised that Koni's would not be the best for my application, eg lots of weight and lots of 4wd'ing - when I mentioned removing the rear sway bar his attitude changed considerably as if I had committed some huge evil. He advised that I look into the TJM suspension packages or the OEM packs and he could not help me any further except to make a point of stating his qualifications and the fact that I could not have possibly been advised to remove my swaybars.
I have started off knowing very little but I am slowly being flooded with opinions - where can I get the correct information first time as I am unable to sort the opinion from the fact - I just want the facts - from this I can create my own opinion. There is far too much contradiction in the information available. I have just purchased a new Nissan and really want to get it right first time using everyone else's experience, I cannot afford to experiment, this is too expensive as it is.

Rokkitt
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: udm - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 16:07

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 16:07
It is kind of illegal to take the bars off, but the fact is, most people get rid of them, I did, and on both 80 series.

Ulises
AnswerID: 106164

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 16:08

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 16:08
Rockitt, unfortunately mate, all you are going to get on an issue like this is OPINION!

There are so many options out there as: what to fit, what brand and how to do it.

All you can do is look at others setups, talk to everyone, drive a few eamples (if available) then make your own informed descision. There are a few facts involved with modifications but when it is finished and asked what is best or safer or easier, or higher or more articulation or etc etc etc it come back to opinion.

When it comes to safety and longetivity of your vehicle/setup, usually the bigger the name the safer you are. ie they are much more conservative with modification and wont put their name to something if it damages you or your truck.

Nearly anyone will do what you ask to your truck, take your money and give you that concrete warranty (ends once you get off the concrete of the workshop!) but hard to have accountability with the backyarders or DIY.

Personally (another opinion) you need to know what you want the truck to do, seriously I mean. If its a family truck and only touring then you dont need 6in lift with 5link rear and couldnt get a swaybar on there if you wanted to. You would look at 1-2 inches above standard on higher load carrying springs, good shocks and leave the swaybars where they are supposed to be.

An option is to post a specific question to the owners of your vehicle type with you requirements clearly outlined and ask their opinion, sift the crud, then make your descision.

Goodluck

Matt.
AnswerID: 106165

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 16:38

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 16:38
Sway bar extensions are cheap from ARB (less than $20) and included in their kit.
Caster bushes for 2" lift are probably not necessary, seem sto vary between vehicles and owners. Wheel alignment figures after the lift will give you a good guide.

Have a read through the GU section on this site:
Patrol Owners Forum
AnswerID: 106170

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:32

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:32
I agree with Andrew and the others that have said that there is no right or wrong decision in these sorts of things.....it has to be what suits your needs. However, I am astounded that the Koni bloke would have recommended you see the TJM people etc.....WTF is HIS problem???

In my own case, I had my last spring work done by Glen Binskin at Wauchope, when I chucked the Old man Emu springs (2" lift, but had sagged back to the height of a stocker). He fitted Lovells heavy duty; 5" at back with Polyairs and 4" at front. He suggested I remove the swaybars rather than get extensions. I was a bit surprised at this, but thought "it won't cost me anything to whip them off and give it a go"....so I did. Okay, there is a bit of extra body-roll, but nothing to get worried about. So now I'm still running without sway bars. I also didn't get castor correction bushes fitted for over 2 years. Finally took the GU to Adelaide a few weeks ago for a wheel alignment and got the (Alltrac 4WD) to fit a set of 3 degree castor offsets. I've still got the typical Nissan shimmy @ 80k/h, so the alignment was (IMHO) a total waste of $430-.

As was said by somebody else, you've gotta decide what you use the vehicle for mostly. Anything you do is gunna be a compromise somewhere......you put big springs and soft shocks and no sway bars on; it'll be a great rock-hopper, but not so great around town. On the other hand, you put tight stuff on and it'll ride hard and handle well on the black top, but won't have much wheel articulation.

What about Tough Dog (or Rancho) adjustable shockers? and maybe even airbag springs?

Good luck with your choices. I'd be following up on the Konis though. I'm happy with my TJM XGS shockers too. How confusing is that.....hahaha

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 363219

Reply By: Outbacktourer - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:26

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:26
Rockkitt,

I have a Patrol with a Kings HD 2" lift and Koni shocks to match. No swaybar changes or caster correction. It works fine, the only thing I would say is you need to turn the Koni's up one turn from full soft to match the rate of the spring.
AnswerID: 106181

Reply By: Swine Hunter - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:28

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 17:28
Hi Rokkitt,

Yes you will get lots of "opinions" and I personally don't see the point of removing swaybars unless it is for severe off-road use. I have Koni shocks on my GQ LWB and I have used them in many applictions in the past, they have a reputation, and deliver performance second to none.
They can be re-built for about $400 for all 4 once they require it, and they do give usually 2-3 times the service life of cheaper shocks.

A very popular combo for GQ LWB is King springs over Koni shocks.

My "Opinion"

Cheers
AnswerID: 106183

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 20:04

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 20:04
Evening Rokkitt,

I have a 75 series Troopy that comes in a 3.5T fully loaded.

It has King Mining Pack (heavy duty) springs all round with Koni Shocks all round.

The spring shackles are nearly in the vertical position wen fully loaded with this setup.

Works like a dream.

I live in Melbourne and have had a number of conversations with the Importer in Bayswater, Melbourne about when to rebuild these shocks etc etc. He reckons they shouldn't need attention until at least 150,000kms with the on/off road combination that use when trip around. Further to this, he stated that if I was concerned about the condition of the shockers, all I had to do was take them off, get them over to his factory, and he would test them while I waited .

During these conversations which included describing the Cordillo Downs road and environs plus the Oodnadatta Track and Simpson Desert which the Troopy has been over, he didn't bat an eyelid or have a conniption and fob me off to TJM.

Must have been an off vday day when you rang.

Anyway have a good one and good luck with your 'looking'

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 106218

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 01:23

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 01:23
Removing the sway bars will have implications with the police and insurance should you have the misfotune to be in a rollover, or serious accident. The only time you need to remove the sway bars is for extreme wheel articulation, EG; rock crawling. And I doubt you bought your shiny new Nissan to do that, right?

2" or 50mm lift is fairly simple and should not require anything more than what you have planned....... Heavier springs and long travel shocks.

Try www.autoalliance.com.au

Rancho 9000X adjustable shocks $198 each OR
Tough Dog 41mm bore shocks $160 each

Progressive rate HD springs $220 pr front + $220 to $300 pr rear (depends on how heavy duty) Free Australia wide postage.

Personally I would think about not so stiff springs, and air bags for when loaded up.

I dont work for these guys and I don't know anyone who does. But I see the adds in 4WD Monthly and compared to the local spring works down the road, these prices are good.
AnswerID: 106285

Reply By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:17

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:17
Hi,

Thanks for all the informative responses, didn't realise there was a Patrol forum - this has lots of great information for me.
Does anyone have any experience with the Tough Dog and Ranchos shockies, is there really any difference to the OEM brand, and will they work with the King Spring or should I look at the entire Tough Dog package?
Now to add to the story: I spoke to the EFS distributors yesterday - they advised there springs are King Springs - that only leaves me one question, how good are the shockies - has anyone here used them?
The reason I am spending time looking into this so much: I previously owned an NH Pajero and I firstly upgraded the suspension to Enforcer for a trip up the Oodnadatta track - the shocks didn't even last the trip. After this I tried OEM but the springs suffered severe sag in a fairly short time but the shocks were fantastic. This has left me very untrusting of some kit's available.
I am just trying to get it right first time this time around.
Can anyone recommend suppliers in Melbourne?

Thanks
Rokkitt
AnswerID: 106338

Follow Up By: DARREN - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:51

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:51
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't EFS just the new name for Enforcer? and if so you have your own (unfavourable) experience with them?
FollowupID: 363354

Reply By: Tim (vic) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:32

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:32
Rokkit
I have a 3 ltr GU111 Patrol with H/D King springs 2" lift combined with Koni shocks. I have had no other adjustments done to it and it works fine on and off road,but it rides better with a bit of a load in it. You will need to adjust your shocks to get the best performance.
Tim
AnswerID: 106346

Follow Up By: Rokkitt - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:48

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:48
Finally a positive lead, just spoke to David from Guest 4WD in fairfield (Melb) - he is not only offering very reasonable prices on Suspension packages for the GU including Koni shocks but he is also extremely helpful - being full of excellent advice.
Unless anyone can recommend a supplier looks I'll be going to see David this Saturday morning.

Rokkitt
FollowupID: 363353

Follow Up By: Tim (vic) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:58

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:58
Rokkitt
My mate goes there for some work on his car and finds they are very helpfull and do good work
Good luck
Tim
FollowupID: 363355

Sponsored Links