cargo barriers

Submitted: Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 21:49
ThreadID: 21976 Views:2047 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
I am after some info about cargo barriers.
Since I want to use my Nissan GU for around town (ie utililse the 7 seats, pick up stuff from the hardware store etc) AND go camping (Engel fridge, storage system in the back) I am interested if anyone has made an 'easy to install/de-install' cargo barrier. What are the legal guidelines? I remember that my old GQ had a mod plate under the bonnet for the proper cargo barrier.
I enquired at Milfords (cargo barrier manufacturer) about one of those nets that retract into the roller like blinds but was told that these units are not made for such big cars. I would argue that it depends on the load/things I want to protect myself from and not the car itself ?!
My question is: is it ok to make up my own barrier that I remove when using the extra seat or need to fold down all of the seats? Has anyone explored/designed something like that?
I would like to hear your comments.
Thanks Jo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Mike - Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 23:17

Monday, Apr 11, 2005 at 23:17
Hi Jospod
Be careful - insurance wise - I think any cargo barrier would have to meet certain standards - I'm not an expert - I would suggest a call to your insurance agent. As you say you want to protect those closest to you. !
Mike

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 106264

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 07:41

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 07:41
Just don't call it a cargo barrier, call it a dog barrier.
FollowupID: 363307

Reply By: Patrolman Pat - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 00:06

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 00:06
I've only got a 5 seater so no problem with rear seats for me. My Milford barrier can be taken out or moved to behind the front seats in about 5 minutes without tools. I reckon that's easy enough for me.
AnswerID: 106276

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:58

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 08:58
If you are making up a Cargo Barrier of some sort for your own use, I fail to see how insurance could be affected in any way.
(i.e. if a passenger is injured and choose to, could sue your arse off, regardless of what you do, or don't use).

It's your choice what you employ to protect the occupants of the vehicle and I would think any barrier, say even a fishing net, would be better than none.

If you were manufacturing and selling them for other people's use, then sure, you would need crash tests, engineering reports, etc., to help cover you from possible litigation.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 106307

Follow Up By: jospod - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:39

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 09:39
Thanks for the feedback.
I am of the opinion that I would like a cargo barrier that can be adjusted very quickly, does not cost a fortune, etc.
If the product is not available then I think I can make my own. In the end it is still added protection for all occupants.
The idea to call it a 'dog barrier' sounds good!

Jo
FollowupID: 363325

Sponsored Links