Sat Nav

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:39
ThreadID: 21990 Views:2918 Replies:5 FollowUps:12
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Boys and Girls

I was looking at Sat Nav for the 4WD. So many options. I have a laptop, dvd player, screen with video input jacks, hand held gps and inverter. As i see it the easiest set up would be a GPS card for the laptop, external aerial with a video link to my screen. But i would rather not take the laptop (if i did use it, where do most people store it, keeping in mind, I would prefer not to have it on a braket or on display), what other options do people use with out spending over $1500. I have looked at navman and streetpilot, neither of which had the capabilities to show the off road tracks, as it has been demo'ed to me. I would like the option to have something to interface with my laptop, to record where i have been, when i arrive home.

Any ideas

ta

Crazie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:43

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:43
"As i see it the easiest set up would be a GPS card for the laptop..."

Crazie,
The easiest way would be to connect the Hand Held unit to the laptop, if it is capable of doing so.

Some forumites have the Laptop stored under the seat but turned on and view/control it by a 7" touch screen mounted in or on the dash.

I have a hand held unit I use in the car and find I don't need an external aerial.
I don't currently interface it to my Laptop whilst driving, but may do so in the future.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 106334

Follow Up By: Member - Bob-h(QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:06

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:06
Hey Sand Man
I'm interested in getting a 7" screen to hook up to the laptop (preferably in behind drivers seat)
Any advice on where to source the screen?
Thanks
Bob
FollowupID: 363428

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:09

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:09
Hi Bob

I have a 7" screen and dvd player from Aldi, $349 comes with all off the attachments you need and is a dvd player too. Alternative, the are plenty on ebay

Crazie
FollowupID: 363440

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:12

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 11:12
Bob-h

Here is reference to an earlier post on this subject that hopefully gives you appropriate information.

Post 13970

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 363528

Reply By: Utemad - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:59

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 11:59
As you say you have everything you need already. However if you want a cheap setup and don't want to carry your laptop I will tell you what I just did.
I just bought on Ebay a Pocket PC, CF GPS and 1gig SD card.

_Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx $140 (2nd hand)
CF GPS $120 (can get cheaper ones for ~$99)
SD card $95 (hasn't arrived yet)

If you don't mind syncing the appropriate maps to your _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx for each individual trip then you don't need the SD card. Although I want the space for MP3s too.

Plus you'll need to get any software you want to use.

My main reason for doing this is that my wife does not like using the laptop in the car and I couldn't be bothered making a mount for it. Plus I like new toys........
AnswerID: 106335

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:18

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:18
Hi Utemad
Sound like something i am after, what brand _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx did you end up with. New toys win me over all the time, so happy to have the _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx mounted on the dash.

thanks

FollowupID: 363345

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:43

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 12:43
Now for the silly question

Can both the cards plug in at the same time, or where does the CF GPS card plug into.

I take it i look for the biggest internal memory and ram??

I am on the hunt hahah

thanks
FollowupID: 363346

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 14:55

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 14:55
Hi Crazie,

I am new to this whole _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx thing too. However I did some research before I started bidding.
It would appear that the HP Ipaq is the market leader however that also means they hold their value better than other brands.

You need to be able to connect a GPS to it. Be it CF (compact flash), SDIO (secure digital able to take communication devices) or Bluetooth. You can even connect a handheld GPS to some PPCs although I wanted to avoid that to keep the bulk down.

I ended up getting a Toshiba E570. Seems to be an Audiovox Maestro in disguise (although Toshiba has double the memory) as in the Nissan Patrol/Ford Maverick. It has both an SD slot and a CFII slot. I use a Holux Ultra CFI GPS card and will soon have a 1gig SD storage card. They can both be accessed at the same time.

Some internet chatter says that the E570 has too small an internal battery however I connect it to vehicle power anyway. They also complain of a limited aftermarket such as keyboards but I'm not interested in any of this stuff anyway. They also mention the standard stylus scratches the screen and my screen is scratched but no worse than any other older screen that hasn't been protected.

I got the CF GPS as these are cheaper and keeps the _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx and GPS as one unit. Although it would seem that PPCs that have both expansion slots are limited as it does increase its thickness a little.

This unit runs Pocket Windows 2002 while the current version is 2003 SE. Still works fine though.

I'm a little hazy on the memory side however:
Look for one with 64/32 memory. This would appear to be that you can have a max of 32mb system memory if you only use 32mb for storage. You can use up to the whole 64 for storage however your programmes will run real slow or not at all. I think this is volatile too so if you flatten your battery completely you might lose data depending on what backup memory power it has. This is why you will probably need an SD card too.
The older models had 32/16 memory while some newer ones have 128/64. Some low end new ones have pitiful memory sizes however.

Take a look at Ebay and see what you want to spend then Google for info on models in that range. Trust me there is heaps of info on all the models.

I also ended up getting a wireless CF card for it from Ebay too. For $50 I couldn't resist. Still cheaper than getting a wireless enabled _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx.

Hope it all helps. I did carry on a bit.
FollowupID: 363370

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:15

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:15
Thanks heaps Ute

It has given me a good start into learning about these things and what to look for.

cheers

Crazie
FollowupID: 363396

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:46

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:46
Sorry Ute, but since you know alot more than me, i need to bug you again.

Its the _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx caable of recording where you go and then downloading that on to my laptop????
FollowupID: 363399

Follow Up By: Utemad - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 17:01

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 17:01
Yep. You can install OziExplorer CE. This allows you to record tracks and waypoints. It is like an extension to the PC based Oziexplorer. Not as functional and needs to be used in conjunction with the full Ozi on your PC.

You can then sync these files to your laptop for analysing or whatever you like.

Haven't used this thing on a trip yet but I have a hold of making tracks but not sure on how to do the waypoints properly yet.
FollowupID: 363401

Reply By: Vince NSW - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:49

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 13:49
Crazie I run my Garmin Etrex via cable into a hp Pocket PC. I have Oziexplorer on the PDA and the whole lot works like a dream. Only prob id the old etrex can only store 1536 track points (about 6 hours driving). This is not a prob if it is connected to the PDA.

Vince
AnswerID: 106348

Reply By: RussellV - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:24

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:24
Hi Crazie

I assume after you sort the hardware purchases out you'd need to get oziexplorer or something like that and some raster maps to be able to plot it all???

Cheers

Russell
AnswerID: 106373

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:44

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 16:44
Hi Russell

Yep will be looking at maps once i have sorted out the hardware selection.
cheers

Crazie
FollowupID: 363398

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 17:56

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 17:56
goodday guys
would 1 of these new mouse gps gizmos be ok with this equipment
sold on this site 1 has magnetic base to sit on roof

steve
FollowupID: 363411

Reply By: Swine Hunter - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:51

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 03:51
Hi Crazie,

I have just purchased the HP Ipaq 2210 _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx which was $278 brand new, it has just been superceded, however remains one of if not the best _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx for navigation purposes due to the excellent screen, and the dual SDIO and CFII slots that can be accessed and used at same time. Most newer models only have 1 SDIO slot except for top of range high price models.
I also have Holux Ultra X-trac CF GPS which works very very well, and is a SirfII low power chipset for better battery life.

I recommend staying away from a _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx that only has 1 expansion slot, as you will almost certainly be forced to use a bluetooth or cable GPS which is an additional thing to lug about, amd to supply power to, making portability a pain,where an SDIO or CF unit will plug straight in, with the other slot available for map storage.

Ebay have Ipaq 2210 for sale regularly, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

My 2 cents
AnswerID: 106471

Follow Up By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:13

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 08:13
Hi Swine hunter

thanks mate, i like recomendation, makes it easier to know the exact _Permanent_Painted_Coatings.aspx to look for.

crazie
FollowupID: 363510

Sponsored Links