Halls Creek
Wyndham
Broome

Cheers
David O
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 15:48

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 15:48
Strongly suggest you purchase "Camps Australia Wide2" it has become my 'bible' for camp site info

Wyndham
Maggie Creek rest area located 28km nth of Victoria Hwy Junction, 28km s Wyndham. Area not level. Hema map ref 81E13 gps ref 15 40 42s 128 14 50e
plus some others

Broome
Roebucks Plains Rest Area. located 267km N of sandfire roadhouse, 22km S of Roebuck Roadhouse or 56km S of Broome

Look here for more info
www.campsaustraliawide.com
AnswerID: 106368

Reply By: Troopy22 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 17:21

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 17:21
David

Can't help you with Halls Creek or Wyndham.

With regard to Broome if you want to camp out of town for a few days then try -
* the numerous spots on the beach side of Manari Road (north of the Willie Creek Pearl Farm) up as far as Manari point;
* the south side of Barred Creek right on the beach just back from the creek mouth;
* numerous spots on Waterbank Station (good bird watching) - contact the Kimberley Land Council for details;
* the Broome Bird Observatory just south of Broome on Roebuck Bay (fantastic bird watching).

Enjoy it
AnswerID: 106381

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:17

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:17
G'day David

Halls Creek area (Hells Crack as referred to around here), there is a nice tranquil spot called Caroline Pool. It is located 15km east of Halls Creek along Duncan Road and is part of the Old Halls Creek townsite. There are area's of the old townsite around the area and worth a fossick around if your into that sort of thing.
There is an excellent book called Priceless Campsites & Rest Area's in the North of Western Australia by Jan Holland. It covers everything from Kununurra down to Kalbarri, has GPS refs and gives a good overview of the various sites.

Cheers
Wal
AnswerID: 106435

Follow Up By: Jim-Bob - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:55

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:55
G'day Wal

There's another site near Turkey Creek called Mary Pool, but I'm not sure exactly where it is.
Maybe you could shed some light on it's position.

Safe travells
Jim-Bob.
FollowupID: 363454

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 22:30

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 22:30
G'day Jim-Bob

Mary Pool rest area is located 180 kms south east of Fitzroy Crossing and 108 kms south west of Halls Creek. GPS 18 deg 43' 34S, 126 deg 52' 46E.
It is a really nice spot in the middle of nowhere, lots of shade, long drops, BBQ's, bins etc but does become a little crowded during the tourist season.

Cheers
Wal
FollowupID: 363463

Follow Up By: Paul & Tracy - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 00:09

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 00:09
Couldn't agree more with Wal's comment above about Priceless Campsites & Rest Area's in the North of Western Australia by Jan Holland. Our very well thumbed and grotty copy is such because we just used it and used it for the entire month we were in the Kimberley & Pilbara last July. Just buy it and all your free camping questions are answered.

Probably our favourite campsite from the book was the RAAF Boab Quarry between Windjana Gorge/tunnel Creek and Fitzroy Crossing with absolutely the best swimming hole in the Kimberley and NO BLOODY CROCS!!!

Paul B, Kalgoorlie
FollowupID: 363489

Follow Up By: Jim-Bob - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 16:58

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 16:58
G'day Wal

It was back in 2001 when we were over in the Kimberly and I'm sorry your spot on.
Geeze now I know why I've got to wear a name tag at work, it's for me to be able to get someone to guide me home in the arvo. And I'm only 55.

Safe travells
Jim-Bob.
FollowupID: 363551

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 23:59

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 23:59
David - if you go to the section on this site under Trip Planning called Travel Journal you can find our section on our 2002 trip up the Tanami then to Kunnunurra then Wyndham - Old Karunjie Rd to pick up the Gibb River Road at the Pentecost River then across to Broome (via diversion up to Kalumburu and Mitchell Plateau). In there I document all our bush camps. By memory, I recall we camped not far north of Halls Creek on the Great Northern Highway on the right hand side at a roadside pbay type camp near a bridge/causeway. I have a photo of us taking a shower under the run-off of the causeway! So, its a small crossing and I can't remember the name but he details are in the journal. Also, I noted that on the left of the road opposite the turnoff to Bungles is a very nice looking (but very busy with caravans) campsite. Wyndham has great bush camps just south-west along the King River Rd which becomes the Old Karunjie Rd. All detailed in the journal. We camped on the King River. In Broome, the best free bush camps are on the northern beaches. You take the road up towards Cape Leveque - but turn left immediately at the end of the seal. The track disappears into the bush but signs lead the way right up the coast. There are quite a number of named locations. We've camped at them all. In 2003 we spent a week or so at Barred Creek - you can get to both sides of the creek (the southern end via a track through the sand and onto the beach), the northern end via signs along the main track and not as good camping. Other sites further north along these beaches are probably better camping but the fishing is the icon at Barred Creek so some compromise is worth considering if that's of interest to you. Also low tide there is fun - mud crabbing but beware salt water crocs are starting to be seen in this creek occassionally. Hope that helps.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 106466

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 19:57

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 19:57
Michell,

Thanks for that info, I will definitely check it out along with all the great suggestions here

Thanks all

David O
FollowupID: 363760

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 21:13

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 21:13
Hi David

All the advice about the Broome area is good. Don't try to camp nearer to town though. The rangers go out every morning to check that there aren't illegal campers, and will insist that you leave. It isn't very friendly, but space in Broome is at a bit of premium during the dry season.

Have fun
Anni
AnswerID: 106592

Sponsored Links