The Border track ?

Submitted: Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2201 Views:2287 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I have looked through the various treks to see how many of the little cars ( difficulty level ) is given to this trek through the mallee desert of SA but cannot find them. Could someone help with a difficulty level ?. I want to go through in the next coupla weeks or so and just want to know what i am in for... The Border Track....
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick - Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Oct 21, 2002 at 00:00
Where exactly do you want to go? The reason for asking is that different sections require different levels of difficulty. The northern parts - above the Pinnaroo road - are quite different from the dunes and swales of the Ngarkat section, which is south of the Pinnaroo road. When do propose to go? The swales' bog holes may be full of water at some times of the year. Will you get through a deep, very rutted, muddy section? How do you drive - steady or fast? Are you prepared to lower your tyre pressures to 15 psi? Have you got A/T tyres?. The first time I went through Ngarkat, I did two tyres (H/T style) on the one mallee stump. Lucky I had a second spare casing, eh? Just what I needed on a nearly new 4WD - to spend another $ 500 on tyres - NOT. How much clearance does your vehicle have? Will you be by yourself or with a group? Having got you thinking a little, I would imagine that any mid size fourby will cope, as would a Suzy Vitara etc. Further to that, I would imagine a newer small to mid size fourby without low range would cope reasonably if driven sensibly. So If it were me rating the trip through Ngarkat National Park, I would give it two "little cars", and one and a half "little cars" from the River Murray to Pinnaroo section. Hope this helps. Cheers. Rick.
AnswerID: 7745

Follow Up By: Voxson - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00
thanks rick, you ask where exactly do i want to go. I want to go through the border track as stated in my first post. not the centre track but the border track (one way from pinnaroo). my patrol has a 4" lift. i drive to the conditions and i am prepared to lower my pressures to the point of getting through. so in your opinion you give the trek 2 cars – "indicates some off-road requirement. This can be where a 4wd is handy but not always necessary". i had been told by some others that the track was harder than what you have put across but that was over a few lagers at the local and you know how the boys can rave sometimes... Thanks again.
FollowupID: 3612

Reply By: DesF - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
Hi, We did the whole track from Renmark to Pinaroo in one day & Pineroo to Bordertown the next. It was 4 years ago but we went in March & the bog holes were OK. But I have done it on a trail bike in August ( the next year) and the holes were full ,up over the front wheel on a XR600. We were in 2 Subaru 4WD wagon's 1983/84 with lift kits. We only had trouble on Mt Little Doughboy with mine which had 205x13 tyres as it wouldn't push the sand, my mate had 185x13 road pattern and he was OK. We took our wives with us & they only got out on the first few hills, because you have to charge a bit . We let the tyres down to 18lb. Remember north to South Please. Have a good trip "D"
AnswerID: 7768

Reply By: Greg - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
Returned from the Border Track on the Oct long weekend. Did the section from Pinnaroo down to Red Bluff and then north up into Big Desert State Forest.

The one way section is not too dificult depending on your 4 x 4, there are two quite large dunes near the end which will require nice low tyre pressure.

If interested, I have a trip report at:

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/gbulling/myweb3/Tracks%20of%20the%20Mallee.htm
AnswerID: 7772

Reply By: Rick - Thursday, Oct 24, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 24, 2002 at 00:00
Voxson; you'll be fine in a Patrol. And you will need 4wd at some stage, as the other replies indicate. It is just that, in my humble opinion, it ain't a difficult drive. Cheers. Rick.
AnswerID: 7825

Follow Up By: Voxson - Thursday, Oct 24, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, Oct 24, 2002 at 00:00
cheers mate...
FollowupID: 3628

Sponsored Links