Caravan Parks , Mt Isa to Broome via Katherine

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 20:30
ThreadID: 22011 Views:7754 Replies:12 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Some assistance please/

In July am m heading off with Caravan to Broome and am wanting to do around 4/500ks per day .

Have the trip planned so far as to Mt Isa and would appreciate any comments on clean caravan parks between Mt. Isa and Broome.

Any sight seeing points of interest also welcome.
Thanks
Pedro
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: troopie1 - Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:43

Tuesday, Apr 12, 2005 at 21:43
Hi Pedro,you have got a top trip coming up! any Big 4 park will be fine always clean and well presented,most major towns have one or plan your trip to hit one every day.have a good trip!
AnswerID: 106439

Reply By: Dazmit - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:16

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:16
Have a look at Badgers site: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/

All the reports are written by caravanners who actually stay there. Don't forget to check the dates they were reported as an eg is the Sunset CP at Mt Isa - as you will see none of the Mt Isa parks were getting good reviews but the Sunset has changed owners in the last 12 months or so & seem to be getting good reports now - their attitude was great when I rang to make a booking this week.

Cheers

Darryl
Brisbane
AnswerID: 106473

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:47

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:47
Hi Pedro

If staying in Katherine, then I reccommend the Low Level Caravan Park, we stayed there last year and it was great, but either make sure you book ahead or be there early as it fills up fast...I think it was a Big 4 Park last year, not sure if it still is.

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 106476

Reply By: Mike - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:39

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:39
The Big 4 parks in Katherine and Kununnurra are 2 of the best parks I've ever stayed at. The Big4 in Broome, at Cable beach was lovely as well, but it was school holidays, so the problem was 1000s of kids not the park. The park at Lake Argile was one of the most basic, but don't miss out on a night in there.

I wish I was doing that trip again.

Happy trails, mike.
AnswerID: 106505

Reply By: Grumpybum - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 13:46

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 13:46
Kona Park in Kununurra is very good and right on the banks of the Ord river. Kimberleyland is on a back water off the main river. Lakeside resort ditto and allow dogs on a lead. The latter is the only one in Knx that does apart from the Showgrounds - latter is not really recommended. The Ivanhoe Park is a Big 4 and recently renovated. Clean as a whistle. Town Caravan Park is very well run and right in town - spotless.

I am local and would choose Kona as my first choice it has a nice environment and is run by great people.

Book as early as possible for any of the parks

Regards GB
AnswerID: 106523

Reply By: Pedro14 - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 15:21

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 15:21
Thanks to Troopie, Daznut,Al & Mrs Al, Mike and also to GB,

Your input most helpful.
The part I am finding it hard to work out is from Mt Isa to Katherine.

As i said i am trying to limit thedaily distance to no more than 500k and on reading some of the comments on parks in between these two, is less than glowing.

A tentative plan is to leave the Isa and drive the short distance to Camoolweal and stay overnight.
Next bit to Tennant Creek and then to Daly Waters and on to Katherine.

For those that have done the trip is there a better itinerary?
Thanks
Pedro

AnswerID: 106529

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:57

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:57
Mt Isa to Katherine you're pretty limited. You can stop at Camoweal, the Barklay homestead, (I'd stop at the Barklay rather than Camoweal) Three Ways and a couple of spots up the Stuart, like Daly Waters (go to the pub, not the servo on the highway). Mataranka homestead is said to be OK (haven't used that one myself). None of these could be called high quality parks but if you're only after an overnighter there OK.
Tennant Ck is a bit out of your way but interesting place to spend a day having a look at the historical stuff. Caravan park is so-so but heaps better then stopping at Three Ways.

BTW, the road from Isa to Camoweal is a right bast@rd. Roughest section of sealed road I've ever travelled. Take it easy.

Cheers, John.

FollowupID: 363661

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:42

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 07:42
Hi Pedro,

I can also recommend a stop at Banka Banka which is approsx 80kms north of Three Ways, it's a cattle station with camping facilities, hot showers, happy hour, info sessions on the history of the property and cost about $7 per night, it was excellent.

Daly Waters Pub was great too, though I passed on the showers..hahah...but it's a great atmosphere staying there. We were going to stay at Mataranka but we were told that the bat problem was horrible and not to bother, so we didn't, not sure what'd be like this year.

cheers

Lyn
FollowupID: 363802

Reply By: Member - Anni M (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 21:10

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 21:10
Hi Pedro,

I agree with the recommendations about Big 4 parks. In Kununurra we stayed at the Lakeside Resort and loved it. My only concern is Broome. Have you booked anything yet? If you haven't then you need to get onto it pronto, even if that means making up your minds really quickly about your itinerary. You may get a space if you book now. If you leave it to luck you may find yourself in the overflow parks at PCYC or the Pistol Club, which are both pretty ordinary. I believe that Broome Caravan Park is closed this season, so there may be more of a shortage than usual. I've heard from friends that the parks are already filling up. If you can't get into Cable Beach CP, then I would try Town Beach CP, which I think is more picturesque.
Good luck and happy travels
Cheers
Anni
AnswerID: 106591

Reply By: Wizard1 - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:36

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:36
If you are inclined and/or setup for it , you could consider free camping as well. We travelled from Perth to Darwin and found the free camping to be great as well. There are plenty of sites up the West coast where you can prop for as long as you like for free. We were a little tired of the cost and rules in most van parks.

There is a book, Free Camping in WA, there is one for the north and south that is invaluable.

Comments on van parks are seasonal. You could stay in one in April and it is great, stay there in July and you can't swing a cat for people especially in Broome.

We stayed in Broome in April at the Broome Caravan Park (5 km east of the town). Quiet and good facilities and less people.

We used the RAC/NRMA van park guides as well which were very helpful.

Wizard
Gold Coast
AnswerID: 106677

Reply By: Pedro14 - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:36

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:36
The suggestions are most helpful and thanks to John,Anni M and Wizard 1.

John,
Thanks for that.
Interesting you said you would rather stay at Barkly than Camoolweal.

I read this about it on "the badger's site" and the comments were not good .
His site is at
http://home.vicnet.net.au/~badger04/

Care to comment please

Anni M,
Your suggestion re booking at Broome was worthwhile. I am waiting on a call back as they are looking for a spot for me , so thanks for that.

Wizard 1,
I am not really set up for free camping, though if the need arises that would not be a drama. Have gas for cooking so that's the main thing

Thanks to all for their suggestions.

By the way , and I will post this on a separate thread, this is a link to a calculator to work out distances/times between 2 towns throughout australia
just click here

Pedro

AnswerID: 106691

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:46

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:46
Mate, last time I was through that way I wouldn't have stopped at the park at Camooweal for anything. Dry, dusty sites, dirty sub standard facilities, very depressing looking place. Barklay Hamestead is the only other option and for my money is OK for an overnighter. Any of these remote places are going to have issues with generator noise, get used to it.
When I travel that way I tend to go from Isa straight through to Tennant Ck in one hit. Pretty long day but that's OK for me.

Enjoy your trip.

John
FollowupID: 363667

Follow Up By: MrBitchi - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:49

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:49
Forgot to add, If you can, avoid buying fuel at Three Ways. Tennant Ck is only about 40Ks down the road and last trip was 20c/lt cheaper.

Cheers...
FollowupID: 363669

Reply By: Pedro14 - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:42

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:42
John,
Thanks for that info.
I was last in Camoolweal in 1966 , and it doesn't sound as though it has improved.

Back then there were 2 pubs and I hear one burnt down.

The lady publican , aged in her 70's , used to keep the ringers in hand with a cattle jigger; never saw a fight though several were imminent untile the jigger was produced.

Will stay at Barkly if i can.

Anni M,
Your tip about booking was spot on.
Due to a late cancellation that happened last night I was able to book in for 3 weeks at Cable Beach. Roebuck Bay is booked out for Ju/jul/august.

So thanks again.

One more query does anyone know what the park is like at Derby? Tried to get into badger's site for the West Kimberley but could not do so.

Pedro

AnswerID: 106744

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 23:01

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 23:01
G'day Pedro

Apparently two parks in Derby, the West Kimberley, Phone (08)9191 1031, Fax (08) 9191 1028, can't comment on this one as have never stayed there.
The other is the Kimberley Entrance Caravan Park, Phone (08)9193 1055, Fax (08) 9193 1503, e-mail keep@westnet.com.au. Apparently under new management according to the advert. We stayed there about three years ago and although not the most modern facility around found it clean and reasonably priced.
Hope this is of some assistance to you.
Cheers
Wal.
FollowupID: 363795

Reply By: Pedro14 - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 20:10

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 20:10
Some more helpful sugggestions from Mrs Al and Kimberley Cruiser, thanks.

The more I look at the alternatives and the distances between towns the camp sites look to be the go for some nights.

As i said earlier I have gas for cooking and fridge and a car fridge , so all i really need is light.

What is the most effective source of this in a bush camp situation.

Any tips on this and other things i might need will be most welcome.

Pedro

AnswerID: 106947

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 20:44

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 20:44
G'day Pedro

As you already said, roadside camping you have gas for fridge and cooking and a car fridge. I pressume that you have a 12 volt light in your van that runs from the vehicle. Light wise all else you really need is a good hand torch and maybe a battery type coleman fluro camp light for outside. I initially resisted the urge to buy and use the headlight style camping/fishing lights but all jokes aside they are really quite useful.
If you are into the camp fire thing it would pay you to collect your firewood along the way as you go as most campsites are fairly barron of firewood for obvious reasons.
Cheers
Wal.
FollowupID: 363929

Reply By: Lyds - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 19:46

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 19:46
Don't forget Mataranka.

I can also vouch for the Ivanoe (Big4) in Kununurra.

AnswerID: 107056

Sponsored Links