Prado Suspension

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 06:04
ThreadID: 22016 Views:1660 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guy's just a quick question I have a Prado 2001 3.0lt TD on the front suspension lower bump stop how much clearance should there be between the rubber bump stop and the bit of structure that it hits, The reason i ask is because i just recently replaced the coil springs with some Lovells standard height all round asuming that the original front springs were some what sagged but there dosen't appear to be a lot of clearance the clearance appears to be about the same as when the old springs were fitted. But the good news is it rides fantastic a huge differance from the standard factory springs i was always happy with the rear springs except that it had sagged about 45mm but the front original springs were to soft.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Outnabout David (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:13

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 07:13
Sam,

You answered your own question. "replaced the coil springs with some Lovells standard height " You will not notice much height difference at the bump stop because of the angles involved. You need to measure the height difference between fender edge and rim. You don't mention shocker change. If you changed the shockers to something like a Bilstein unit you would notice another huge change in ride and handling. A few members here run this combo and the difference is amazing.
AnswerID: 106472

Follow Up By: Sam07 - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:31

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:31
Hi David thanks for the reply i did not mention any shocky replacement because i opted not to replace them at this stage i did get i believe a very good price here in sydney for the bilstien which i will replace with in the future, But the original shocks are very good i spoke to the suspension man were i bought the lovells springs from and he agreed that the japanees original shocks are very good he mentioned the brand but i can't remember what they were called. The vehicles on road handling has improved dramatically more so in the front the springs were to soft for my likeing now its great, The rear had sagged quite a bit approx 45mm, The reason i did not install high lift springs and shocks is because i don't do heavy off road work but light off road on week ends, we mainly travel on road with a lot of gear in the back. At this stage im happy with the combo that i've got when the original shocks go i will replace them with bilstiens.
FollowupID: 363526

Reply By: herkman - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 19:45

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 19:45
Lovells make the very best springs in Australia.

Mainly because they will not short cut the process.

We used to have spring breakages all the time on our locomotives, but a vendor change fixed that real good.

Regards

Col Tigwell
AnswerID: 106571

Sponsored Links