Suspension replace Prado - Dobson v's Kings ?

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2204 Views:11397 Replies:8 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
After much research I have found myself confused with too much info, I am replacing the suspension on a Toyota Surf 97 model (has same suspension as a Prado) which has a metal bullbar and winch. Want to raise vehicle 50-60mm and not be too harsh (I don't carry loads except on the holidays), vehicle mainly used on road with the once a year Big trip to Cape York etc. All research points towards King springs (who supply many other makes) though "Dobson Springs" has been mentioned has anyone got any comments on these ? Also whether to go heavy duty or medium sprung or progressive taking into account added weight up front. With the raising of the vehicle only a few shocks will suit the coil over spring setup on Pardo's - it has been recommended to go for OME or Bilsteins ! Any Prado owners out there got comments there setups ?
PS.Cape York certainly wears out the original Jap springs.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sambo- Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
I suggest in regards to your set up going for the Kings springs as they are one of the best on the market. As for shocks I suggest you look at rancho RS9000's as they in my opinion are the best shock. The shocks for the front will be modified RS5000'sand rear RS9000's which have five levels of adjustment to suit the ride when carrying loads or empty. Hope this helps. This is the set up I use on my TX prado and it is excellent. Cheers
AnswerID: 7755

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Rancho 9000s arent made anymore, so look out for the new model shock that has replaced them.

Theres a good tech article on the Prado list about suspension mods, I think it was Kings they used.

I went with Dobinsons on my 6in lift kit on the GQ, and have no problems with them at all.

Everyone has a good and bad story to tell about every brand of everythign these days.
FollowupID: 3570

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

http://www.geocities.com/prado_95/Suspension/Prado-suspension.html
AnswerID: 7758

Follow Up By: Beddo - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Thanks for the reply will chase that site, anyway heard the Rancho's will not do the 50-60mm height increase in the front I want as the shocks will be at full extension - have you heard different or is there a mos, Cheers Beddo
FollowupID: 3580

Follow Up By: Sambo - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Beddo I dont know who has told you that but rancho will make shocks to any length you require, also they make a shock for the Prado front end that allows for 4in (100mm) lift which I am currently considering fitting, so I find it hard to believe they do not have a shock for a 50mm lift. Cheers Tony
FollowupID: 3584

Reply By: Slunnie - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

If you live in Sydney, Lovells are also pretty good, my King springs settled from 40mm raised to 20mm in about 10months. The longer shocks are only needed if the springs free length is longer, and you can have a raised vehicle with the same length springs. One of my 4WD's was lifted 65mm with matching spring free lengths. The Rancho9000's are still about and for sale, though they are in a hybrid stage between the new and old RS9000's. The hybrid numbers begin with a 99, eg 99143, instead of a single 9, eg 9143, and the only difference is they still have the 5 position knobs instead of the new 9 positions. Regards Slunnie.
AnswerID: 7766

Reply By: Mark - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

I replaced the standard shocks and springs with Dobinsons springs and Bilsteins about 12 months ago. I found that the old springs would bottom when off road and fully laden which was the main reason I upgraded, the on road manners have improved significantly and no pitching & rolling anymore which comes standard on a Disco. The springs have dropped about 5-7 mm since new which is acceptable.
Be careful going above 45-50mm as you may have problems with insurance, best to check with them first.
AnswerID: 7773

Reply By: Beddo - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00
Thanks for the replies. Rancho's do fit Ok thanks. I was also looking at Tough Dogs shocks but the Rancho's look like the ones. Also looked at OLd Man Emus and they have a full kit for $1350 which is a good price, compared to other quotes with Dobinson or Kings around $1800 mark. Take note from the replies that the Kings sagged a little - and that is what has been said to me by others and made me ask the original question. So Dobinson look good with the Rancho's, but would like to hear about peoples thoughts on Old Man Emu kits., thanks again Beddo(Jeff)
AnswerID: 7874

Reply By: bambi - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Beddo,

have just gone throught this exercise. One thing about the TJM and Tough Dog. I did talk to a guy from TJM and he was slgging off just about anything except his Series 2000 stuff. This got me thinking that he's just trying TOO hard for a sale here, either way he sounded like a wanker. The Rancho 9000's will not fit your vehicle at the front, only on the rear, and even then I have talked to people who have said that they are not what you read about them.

As mentioned I have gone the OME way, but not from the factory (the people at Morebank were D@#K heads). Will keep you posted when I get back about how they perform.

Cheers.......
AnswerID: 7879

Reply By: Craig - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Hey Beddo , Good to see you made it back from the cape.
Just food for thought , Think about what you getting for your dollar 100 aussie bucks will buy you about 55 US bucks, so if you buy a top dollar US shock what are you really getting? I went the Ol Man Emu I saved a few bucks when you compare them to Rancho`s etc and probibly at the end of the day got a product that will do the same job. Also got 2 yrs warranty
All the best , you Punsand Bay camping/drinking buddy Craig.
AnswerID: 7881

Follow Up By: Beddo (jeff) - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Gidday Craig, trip back was good, 2 flats, sagged suspension and a broken earth wire on battery, apart from that all was great. After we left you we went along the Frenchman's track to Chilli beach - the wind stopped and the spot was magic. Anyway suspension - trying to work out which way to go - Dobinson springs or Kings - have heard the Kings sag a bit. Shocks well it is between the Rancho's, Tough Dog, OME or Bilsteins. Cost is going to come into it so the OME complete kit might be the go. Cheers keep in contact, Beddo (Jeff)
FollowupID: 3647

Reply By: Slunnie - Saturday, Oct 26, 2002 at 00:00

Beddo, apparently OME springs are made by King Springs, so I would expect the springs will be the same quality as King Springs. That said mine sagged a fair bit. I spoke to some 4WD shops about 1 yr ago, and many of them at the time seemed to be switching over to Dobinsons Springs which I thought was interesting. Apparently the Dobinson Springs sag less than the King Spring, and the turn around was quicker. This said, I have replaced my King Springs all with Lovells springs. They seem good so far, but it is still too early to tell what the sag factor will be like. With the Bilsteins, I was talking to a guide who runs these. The problem is they are single layered, but what he does to protect them from stone damage is coat the bottom in silicon. Regards Slunnie
AnswerID: 7887

Sponsored Links