Aluminium polish

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 21:46
ThreadID: 22040 Views:10159 Replies:10 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Sorry if this has been done before but I can't seem to find anything in the archives.

Today I polished my aluminium bullbar with Mothers aluminium polish, The problem was although the directions say you don't have to rub hard to put the stuff on, You have to rub bloody hard to get the stuff off.

I recon if I put that much effort in and rubbed that hard without any polish I could almost get the same result.

Anyway what do you all use?? There has to be something better.

Many thanks
japmel
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Russell B (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:20

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:20
You should have used Dad's Aluminium polish, sold as AJAX kitchen powder.

When used in a thick paste it really scrubs the aluminium and etches the surface to a dull (note dull not mirror finish) clean finish. Scrub it on, leave it on for a few minutes, then wash it off.

Probably not what your looking for but is was Dads Aluminium polished we used for years.

Regards
Russell
AnswerID: 106613

Reply By: Jfish - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:37

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:37
Good old Steel Wool with soap inc and a bit of Elbow Grease and water will do the job.

But if its a polished bull bar be very carefull. I wouldnt use the above.

Good Luck
AnswerID: 106614

Reply By: japmel - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:03

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:03
Thanks for the replies so far.

But yes it is a polished bullbar so I don't think ajax or steel wool would be any good to me.

Regards
japmel
AnswerID: 106625

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:13

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:13
fine grade wet and dry sandpaper followed by autosol polish for a chrome look finish
AnswerID: 106627

Follow Up By: Big Woody - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:19

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:19
Davoe is spot on.
The first time I have used 600 wet and dry and then 1200 wet and dry and then Autosol to bring an old bullbar up like chrome. But if your bullbar is already a polished bullbar, you may only need to start with the 1200 wet and dry. Then the secret is to keep up the Autosol once a month.

Cheers,
Brett
FollowupID: 363632

Reply By: charlies - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:21

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:21
G'day japmel

I've been using "Autosol". Do it every couple of weeks. Looks great and easy to do. Only takes about two stubbies and the jobs done.

Cheers Charlie
AnswerID: 106629

Follow Up By: warthog - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 20:35

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 20:35
I'll second that, autosol is the best I have come across for aluminium. Followed by a bit of Brite Shine (think thats the name comes in yellow metal tin) cotton wadding.
FollowupID: 363768

Reply By: Member - Ed. C.- Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 00:19

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 00:19
G'day Japmel,
I must say that I'm surprised to read that you had so much trouble with the Mothers... (you did use a CLEAN cloth polish it off, I presume??)...

Over the years, I've tried just about every different product on the market (for polishing alloy), including autosol, that cotton wadding stuff (brite-shine, I think it's called), steel wool, the wet'n'dry method already mentioned, and yes, while they all work (to a degree), I had concluded that it (polishing bullbars) was all too much of a bother.. I'd rather be doing something else...

Anyway, recently while giving the 'trol a good ol' "going over" (top-to-bottom, inside & out), I thought I'd have another crack at the b'bar... I had an old tin of Kitten #2 cut'n'polish, & I thought I'd give this a try, & see if it'd get rid of the oxidation build-up.. wiped it on, wiped it off, and not only did it get rid of the accumulated oxidation & bugs 'n' cr@p, but it left a half-decent shine.. Having gone this far, I thought I'd give this Mothers a go...
Same deal.. wiped it on, wiped it off (with a CLEAN cloth), and HEY PRESTO!!!
Brilliant shine.. in every sense of the word!!

I reckon this is the best (quickest & easiest) stuff I've ever used, and by far the best result for the least amount of work....

If your bar is oxidised (dull) like mine was, you may wish to try an application of a #2 cut'n'polish, & then try the Mothers again... I know that I won't be using anything else from now on....
Hope this helps...

Regards, Ed. C.
Confucius say.....
"He who lie underneath automobile with tool in hand,
....Not necessarily mechanic!!"

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 106631

Follow Up By: japmel - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:49

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:49
Ed. C.

Thanks for that,
When I put the stuff on I put it on the whole Bullbar, Then went back to polish it off, maybe it dried to much.
All I know is it took a fair bit of elbow grease to get it off.

I was in a garage and it was nice and cool at the time.

Regards
japmel
FollowupID: 363649

Reply By: rickwagupatrol - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 00:41

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 00:41
alloy polish,,,,easy. and bear in mind that the bullbar on a ford louiseville is a heck of alot bigger that a patrol orcruiser, and then there is the 4 ally fuel tanks, and the stacks.
one word, and only one.
the only place that i know of in Perth that sells this stuff is the B.P. truckstop in Kewdale,,so try a B.P. truckstop near you.

ready....

Purple.

yup that is what its called,,,,purple polish,,,,liquid form, got a cleaner that can be used first on the real grimy bars,,,and real easy to use.

rick.
AnswerID: 106635

Follow Up By: V8Diesel - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:31

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:31
Watched a bloke spend half a day in the heat polishing his bull bar and tanks on a Mack SuperLiner in the old Bell's yard at Meeka once. Got it all shiny shiny, packed his gear away and hit the button on the Ingersoll-Rand airstarter.

Big cloud of dust then drives off through the dirt turnaround........filthy again by the time he'd hit the blacktop. Ahhhh yup...each to his own I guess.
FollowupID: 363647

Follow Up By: japmel - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:56

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:56
Rick,

Thanks I'll try that next time if I can get some here.

V8Diesel,
Yep you have got to wonder somtimes.

Regards
japmel
FollowupID: 363651

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:33

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:33
Give plain old kerosene a try.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 106649

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:39

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:39
Well there you go , when I got our new all ally camper trailer ,[so shiny it makes your eyes water if not wearing sunnies] was told to only ever wash with truckwash tc18 and then spray with good old MR..SHEEN , stays so shiny ya havta wear shades.
AnswerID: 106727

Reply By: Twigiee - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:43

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:43
I worked in automotive retail for 4 yrs - I reckon 'autosol' is the best, was not really that keen on Mothers - not abrasive enough. There's one available that comes in a little yellow tin, i think its made by Masarati (asin sportscar) its actually a special cloth like material - i've never tried it, but many people swear by it.

Twigiee
AnswerID: 106728

Sponsored Links