torsion bars on 100 series ripping out

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:24
ThreadID: 22044 Views:2796 Replies:5 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi guys,our son in law is thinking about buying a 100 series,does anyone have any feedback on the problems with the torsion bar ripping out or damage to ball joints due to the bar putting to much strain on the front end?He lives in Kal.with our 3.5 grandkids so you can guess our concern,I tried to talk to the local dealer in Rockingham where we live but they said there was no problem! (we have and love a 1hz troopie so the response from the dealer was a bit of a shock!) any feedback would be appreciated
regards Troopie1
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:39

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:39
Hi Troopie

It seems that the 100's with the IFS sometimes is cracking when the torsion bars are wound up, its may even do it when they are not. It appears that the weld on the bottom of the front wishbone was not finsihed completely. ARB have brackets that cost about $25 to assist support this weak spot.
cheers
Crazie
AnswerID: 106615

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:43

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:43
Check with Member "Big Kidz" (aka Andrew McDonald) in Melbourne.....his front end eveloped a crack and he has fun and games with toyota over it.
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 106616

Follow Up By: troopie1 - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:51

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:51
Many thanks Crazie, and Roachie
he wants me to check out one in Vic. Park (local car yard strip ) seems to me on what Ive read that if you wind these bars up to get a good height it puts strain on the front end, whats wrong with Toyota? why dont they fix this problem? or at least admit that there is a problem! thanks again guys for your info,
regards Troopie1
FollowupID: 363613

Follow Up By: madcow - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 13:39

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 13:39
At least when Nissan recognised a problem they rectified it straight away. Saying that I am about to complain about the console lid number 4 with paint coming off. I have owned 3 tojos before the GU and had factory related issues with each of them. The term "inherent condition" is very broadly used by them. I wish you the best of luck as I had none.
FollowupID: 363686

Reply By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:01

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:01
Hi Troopie

This is what Toyota said to me regarding my vehicles cracked control arm. There were so polite in the letter!!! They say they do "not recommend modifications to vehicles that comply with Australian specifications". I believe that this is true though I wonder if they mean "we recommend you do not modify vehicles that comply with Australian conditions". I was not in the mood for a fight so I just paid the $800 to get it fixed myself and I hope that it all holds. I think that if your son wanting to tow a large caravan on bitumen roads then a 100series T/D like mine is the perfect vehicle!! I wonder if now Toyota would recommend that you not put a steel bullbar on the front of a landcruiser because the extra weight on the front suspension is likely to damage it and void your warranty. Depends on what they mean in the sentence that I have highlighted - seems ambiguous to me!!

Here is there cheery response too my enquiry.

Andrew

TOYOTA
TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION AUSTRALIA LIMITED ABN 64009686097
OUR REF:
8 March, 2005
Dear Mr McDonald
Thank you for your letter received on the 28th of February 2005 by the Customer Relations Department.
Quite rightly, our customers have high expectations of their Toyota vehicles as well as the National Dealership Network and we are sorry to learn that you have developed cracking in the right hand control arm of your Landcruiser.
Mr McDonald, whilst we are truly sympathetic to your situation, we must advise that Toyota Motor Corporation Australia do not recommend modifications to vehicles that comply with Australian specifications. Toyota New Vehicle Warranty applies to original components and accessories provided they are not altered or adjusted in any way.
As stated in your Warranty & Service booklet, non-approved modifications will not be covered by the Toyota New Vehicle Warranty, or the damage that they may cause.
Your concerns have been discussed with the Toyota Technical Operations Manager as well as The National Warranty Department. Due to the above, Toyota are unable to offer you the warranty assistance that you have requested.
The Customer Relations Department will not adjudicate on or overturn decisions passed down the Technical Operations and National Warranty Departments. Any decisions made by National Warranty are final.
Once again, we are sincerely sorry for any inconveniences caused and disappointments endured and trust that you will understand our position on this matter.
Thank you for writing to Toyota and offering us this opportunity to respond.
Yours sincerely,
>TA MOTOR CORPORATION AUSTRALIA LIMITED
Rankine CUSTOMER RELATIONS ADVISOR
Corner Captain Cook Drive & Gannons Road, Caringbah, NSW 2229 TMC-546 TELEPHONE: (02) 9710 3333 FACSIMILE: (02} 9710 3202 INTERNET ADDRESS: http://www.toyota.com.au
P.O. BOX 187, CARINGBAH, NSW 2229
AnswerID: 106624

Follow Up By: Big Kidz (Andrew & Jen) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:08

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:08
By the way.... I thought I would put some words to a famous tune to relax me on a summers night when I thought about the Landcruiser.......... The King is Dead

I am humming it now!

Cheers

Andrew
FollowupID: 363618

Follow Up By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:40

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:40
Nice letter Andrew, I bet that made you happy (Not)
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 363620

Follow Up By: ADM - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:59

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 12:59
Just proves that Toyota has gone soft. Bring back the 60 series.
FollowupID: 363852

Reply By: ianmc - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 00:08

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 00:08
JOKE! Quote"warranty only applies to original components so long as they are not altered or adjusted in any way"
SO, you are not supposed to adjust the adjustable torsion bars even if they sag thru use or thru adding extra weight such as normal load &/or accessories.
Seems to me they have a real engineering/safety problem which should be petitioned to the appropriate authorities for a recall & proper fix.
Must be over their warranty budget with broken diffs etc & no money for
goodwill/repairs.
AnswerID: 106630

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:03

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 01:03
Word has it the 5 speed box is crap too !!

Then there is the small hilux sized front diff in the front of the non IFS.

But don't listen to me, I drive a pootrol. lolololololol
AnswerID: 106637

Follow Up By: 80scruiser - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 18:01

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 18:01
Good idea.
We won't listen to you as you obviously don't do your research as they are a different diff than a hilux. They changed years ago.
FollowupID: 363742

Follow Up By: muzzgit (WA) - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 00:41

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 00:41
Is the front diff in a 100 different to an 80 ?

You are right in me not doing my homework, I was led to believe they were the same, but if not I apologise and will go and slap the guy who told me. te he

I do know the front diff gears are different and don't like hard work (snatching) going backwards. (4WD Monthly article)
FollowupID: 363798

Sponsored Links