What fridge should I buy?

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:32
ThreadID: 22045 Views:7061 Replies:17 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
My current fridge is getting a bit old and tired. It has served me well but I'm not sure of which brand to buy.

The current one is a Philips 460L Frost Free.

Should I renew it with a Fisher and Paykel, or an LG.

Is Frost Free the go or should I go Cyclic Defrost? Which will draw less power and put less strain on my electricity supply?

Finally, and most importantly.......

Which will fit best in the back of my car?

Should I trade my car and get a Patrol or a Cruiser?

Should it be a petrol or diesel?

Does LG make a fridge slide, or is it just a wicked rumour?

I'm so confused.

Please help me (I obviously need it).

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bros - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:44

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:44
Jimbo,
The one with the most stars.
Dont know the size of your car.
Stick with gas and electribidy.
Dastardly rumour.
You're definitely out of it.
Help is as close as the phone.
Good luck. (you obviously need it)
Cheers,
Bros.
Work is the curse of the down and out bludger.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 106617

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:55

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 22:55
You're a sick puppy Jimbo....keep taking the tablets and you might be okay by morning...lololol
Cheers
Roachie
AnswerID: 106620

Reply By: Brew69(SA) - Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:15

Wednesday, Apr 13, 2005 at 23:15
It must be all that horrible green beer you have been putting in it. I don't take that risk. And what about solar????????
AnswerID: 106628

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 00:54

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 00:54
Jim, Lada Niva's come highly recommended.

Diesel on gas is the way to go mate.

A tuckerbox chest freezer would suit your trashcan perfectly.

LG don't make fridge slides but a slightly modefied push bike frame works a treat.

You didn't mention tyres Jim !! I take it you left this off because you ran out of room on the screen !! (poor old sod).
Whitewall tyres are the only ones that will get you through this great country of ours. These Newzealand made tyres are designed for the australian landscape, and have woolly insides to resist punctures.

AnswerID: 106636

Follow Up By: Well 55 - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:22

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:22
Next thing you will tell us is that we need velcro gloves to change tyres.
FollowupID: 363633

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:40

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:40
You definitely need to take your medication more regularly, Jimbo! lol
AnswerID: 106643

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:42

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:42
Yeah, I better see the Vet today.
FollowupID: 363634

Reply By: Nudenut - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:54

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 07:54
i'm going camping with Jimbo...
a 460l fridge....hell, we'll never run out of that amber fluid
AnswerID: 106644

Reply By: Member - Banjo (SA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:47

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:47
In SA, the two main retailers (possibly others) have the 40L Engel anniversay on sale now for $999.
IF I needed a fridge, that'd be my pick !
AnswerID: 106656

Reply By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:50

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:50
Hi Jim

Without doubt! The best fridge product on the market is the fridge magnet. No one has disagreed here on this forum about fridge magnets. So stick with them, they are safe. Jims Mowing, Jims Antennas and Jims Tag-a-long Outback and Inner City Adventure Tours & and Road Kill Grill are popular choices.

A good quality fridge magnet should set you back about $2.00 from a $2.00 shop or if you go direct to the fridge magnet manufacturers you may find some a little cheaper. I knew a bloke who camped out over the Labor Day weekend (right on the door-steps Lol ) for the owner to show up and was the first to get magnets that morning and paid only $4.00 for 2 magnets. Not bad eh? There are heaps of magnets around so don’t just go into a shop and buy the first ones you see. Unless of course they are EXACTLY what you are looking for. I suppose I mean, shop around a little. You need to research the magnet. You need to understand the dynamics of the international market forces. Remember the Pope just died and it just may have an adverse effect on the Yen, know-one knows for sure. Don’t rush into anything. Exercise a little patience, that’s all.

But don’t be too timid to pounce when you see a good deal either. My sister’s brother’s friend’s friend. (Cannot mention name here) Let’s call him iMysty. SHhh… Bought a dozen magnets for $25.00. I was at an auction on a rainy day and it was pretty quiet. I had just sold a trailer so I was cashed up at the time. WELL! These magnets came up and no-one, I mean NO-One bided on them. I couldn’t believe my eyes. I just piped up TWENTY FIVE!! And the auctioneer slammed the hammer and I won!! ME!! UNBELIEVABLE!! ROFLMAO It was quite a day LOL. I got them home an realized there were only 8 in the box. It was an experience I’ll say. (Im shaking my head as I type.). Sometimes in the dead of night when I am alone with the missus and are trying to get romantic. She often mentions that day and we talk for hours. It's just great. : )

Send me a member message if you like and we can hook up if you like.

There’s so much to say. Lmao.

iMusty
AnswerID: 106658

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:48

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:48
I take it what you are trying to say is "don't buy a plastic fridge" :)
FollowupID: 363668

Follow Up By: BenSpoon - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:27

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:27
Nah- Fridge magnets stick fine to a waeco! Just delicately position it on the hinge screws and you're sweet.
Apparently they give calming effects to the fridge, similar to the magnetic bracelets for people. After application of magnets, you can expect smoother hinge joints, relaxed fridge contents, a more alert thermostat and improved air circulation. No one likes an agitated beer.
FollowupID: 363727

Follow Up By: Pezza - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 21:24

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 21:24
Hey Imusty,

I think you better be borrowing some of Jimbo's medication!!! LOL

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 363937

Reply By: Member - Crazie (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:05

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:05
Aren't Hyundai doing a fridge now

Not to popular just yet, but have heard they go well....
AnswerID: 106662

Reply By: niikki - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:35

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:35
Hi Jim,
My husband and I do alot of camping and we brought a Trailblazer fridge about 8 years ago and have used it inside the house as well as with the generator when camping, I must admit this fridge will freeze your meet on the bottom and keep food cold on top of the meat as well as the all mighty beer (which when travelling in very hot conditions, it is a blessing to pull up in the middle of nowhere and pull out a really really cold beer) we have not had one ounce of trouble with it and it can run on 240 volt and off the car battery and generator, the fridge has a built in thermostat with up to 8 settings for how cold you want things, our fridge has seen better days and the trailblazer's a tough and can take a beating, ours is still going strong, look up NORCOAST REFRIDGERATION they are the manufacturer's and distributers they are in QLD, Currumbin I think, Once you have a trailblazer you don't go back to the others...
As for choosing a Patrol or a CRUISER take the CRUISER you wont regret it and get a diesel...
If you want to know more about the trailblazer send me an email so i can send some info and photos of our fridge...

Peace
Niikki
AnswerID: 106670

Reply By: Mainey (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:13

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:13
Jimbo,
(Quote)Finally, and most importantly....... Which will fit best in the back of my car?
I'm so confused.
Please help me (I obviously need it).
Jim.(end quote)

How big is the space in the back of your car ? ?

Make sure the electric cord is reasonably long and rewinds without twisting, and you have a good interior light and fridge cover as it will save battery power.

AnswerID: 106671

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:34

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:34
ROFLMAO!!!

This is a really informative, techincal Post. Thankyou.
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 106675

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:14

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:14
Jimbo ,

There is a new fridge out and being a man of obvious taste with a bent towards the latest technology , I felt you should no about it .

It is the SMEGMA off-peak gas unit . This is made from a maleable material which automatically changes shape to suit the size of your wagon . It comes with a velcro bottom to stick anywhere on your car without moving , so the need for a fridge slide to hold it down is redundant . The off peak gas system is definitely the way to go if you want efficiency PLUS economy . It comes in a great range of eye catching colours too .

For a somewhat different application , but still in the cooling area , might I suggest you look at the reverse cycle microwave unit . This appliance instead of exciting the atoms actually sends them to sleep and cools the contents . Obviously this would need a large battery or even a generator as they draw a lot of current .

Please do not hesitate to get back to me should you require contact details for either of these products .

Willie .
AnswerID: 106684

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:41

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:41
Willie,
If you wire the reverse cycle microwave unit, pos to neg, not (+) to (+) it would use far less power and also heat the food as does a microwave.

This method would not require a large battery or even a generator as the current is self induced and retains latent heat within the wiring system, till the smoke alarm allerts you the food is cooked. My nurse is nice, it lets me read forums!
FollowupID: 363666

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:27

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:27
Hey Jim

Have you considered buying a 1960's circa Bedford 3 or 4 ton truck. I'm sure you can pick one up cheap somewhere and spend 2 years and a hundred grand building it into the ultimate tourer. Get yourself a 5 kva gen and mount it under the chassis somewhere and you should be able to cart all your appliances from home on holiday with you, thus saving money on purchasing all those camping items.
Remember to use heavy duty cables to your appliances to avoid voltage drop and don't satnd in front of the fridge with the door open for lengthy periods trying to decide what you want to drink. I think Phillips do a fridge front extension for the 460l frost free made of a composite plastic which will double the usable space in your fridge for you.
I think Crazy Clarkes do a fridge slide for the Phillips as well but you will need to buy a good rope to tie it down as they don't come with any sort of lock down device built in.
You will have to sell your current vehicle to help finance this project but in the long run it will be well and truly worth the effort and therapy value for you.
Just be aware that you won't be able to shop at Coles anymore in your new set up cause it won't fit in the carpark but the upside will be that you could probably buy your stuff wholesale direct due to your increased volume ( another good reason to launch head on into this project).
Be assured that every step of your project will be rewarding and provide you with many hours of enjoyment here on Oz Explorer asking more questions about the best truck tyres, westcoast mirrors, tailshaft vibrations in Bedford trucks at top speed 70 kmph and the like.
If at any stage all this becomes too hard and over powering for you just take two packets of panadene forte with a bottle of scotch and have a little rest.
Hope it all works out for you and look forward to reading of your progress on the forum.
Just remember that you will have to silastic your fridge magnets onto the front of the fridge when you fit your composite plastic extension.
Cheers.

AnswerID: 106703

Reply By: TheUndertaker - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:30

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:30
Jimbo, are u ill from hot beer ?????? get yourself 4x 110lt waeco fridge/freezers as they will colour match the 80lt you allready have , then another 4x solar panels and u wont have to worry about the power bills ,,lol + rolflmao.
AnswerID: 106724

Reply By: niikki - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 16:06

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 16:06
Hi Jimbo,
Question : Do you have a Duel battery set up for you vehicle ?
If no then it would probably be worth spending a few bux to get a duel battery set up.
If yes then i recommend the Trail Blazer, I'm almost positive Norcoast Refridgeration would make fridge's most sizes and to suit different purposes.
Their Trail Blazer Fridges can come with all types of power connections on request ie: 240vlt, generator power and your battery power...
The best thing about Trail Blazers is that they have a built in thermostat that once it's reached the desired temperature it shuts off and stops drawing power from the battery, they are tough and believe me my Trail Blazer has taken a beating over the years, for more info email me.
Peace
Niikki
AnswerID: 106907

Follow Up By: Mainey (WA) - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 17:45

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 17:45
Jimbo,
Ummm, I think some fairdinkum good ideas have evolved here, somewhere?
I also believe the best thing about some fridges is the thermostat is built in, not a stick in the glovebox an forget it accessory item, because they can make your fridge stop taking power from your battery, but I think you still need a good elect cord rewinder............................. :-(
FollowupID: 363894

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 18:01

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 18:01
Jim,

You don't need another fridge, and what I am about to say will not cost you a cent.

You will need a tent, place vehicle in tent, turn the air con to the max, fill the vehicle with beer.

Now you have a fridge that is moblie with a cover and full of beer and a lot of mates coming around to see how well it works.

See you soon

Wayne
AnswerID: 106930

Sponsored Links