Japanese Import Engines

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:04
ThreadID: 22050 Views:20824 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
A frinnd has just had his 2.8 , 1991 HiLux Diesel enging give up the ghost.
Has anybody had ANY REAL experience with the imported engines from Japan. What milage can we expect them to have done.

Thanks for any replys

Dunedigger
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Coops (Kalgoorlie) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:35

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:35
You can buy the Toyota 4.0 Litre Lexus V8 motor and auto transmission (out of Soarer) which would be absolutely perfect for HiLix. They've done about 20K and are an almost bulletproof motor.
Mob in Perth called Per4manz imports them (about $2500 when I was looking then add computer work) and I'm sure there's plenty of others around the nation who do the same.
Hope this helps
AnswerID: 106676

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:44

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:44
There's a guy on one of the Surf forums that did that exact thing to his 4runner when the motor crapped itself. He reckon's it unreal. There was a reasonable amount of work to it but it fits good. He is also posting some pretty unbeiliavble milage too!
FollowupID: 363695

Follow Up By: OLLY - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:17

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:17
G'day,
A mate of mine has fitted a 1uz-fe with twin turbos to a VL drag car. The whole engine with wiring harness cost $1200.00 minus the turbos and other ancillary gear from an importer in Sydney. But if you want to see the same engine fitted to a 4Runner have a look at www.boostedrunner.com there are some great picks.
FollowupID: 366209

Follow Up By: OLLY - Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:47

Wednesday, May 04, 2005 at 14:47
Sorry mate that web site is http://www.boosted4runner.com/

Olly
FollowupID: 366215

Reply By: flappa - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:52

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:52
Not with an imported diesel , but I replaced the motor in my Pajero with a low K's imported one.

It had done 85,000 when pulled. I have done , almost 100,000 on it since I dropped it in.

For a petrol , I think its a cost effect replacement.

I WOULDN'T say the same for a diesel.

Typically, Jap diesels , have low k's , but HIGH hours. Idle for length periods. Thats not good for a diesel.

At least with an Imported vehicle , you can inspect it , get warranty etc.

No such luxury with just the motor. You may get a small 6 month statutory warranty . . . but nothing more. No chance to inspect the motor pre purchase (unless you happen to be close at hand , and take a mechanic with you).

IMO , an imported DIESEL change over is not the way to go . . . fair better , to rebuild or get a proper exchange motor.

However , the OVER RIDING factor in that is . . . $$$$ . . Budget.

It is certainly a lower cost option , and you may find , you have many many years of absolutely no problems . . . but . . . .you are taking a chance.
AnswerID: 106680

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:43

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:43
I don't know about the idling being any more than a Diesel engine in Sydney or Melborne... Put new injectors in it if they are gummed up. My 1kz-te in the surf is comming up to 150k and still runs good. It was a little smokey when I got it but a few takes of injector cleaner and some good long runs sorted that out. But rebuilding a diesel maybe a cheap option anyway.
FollowupID: 363694

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:50

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 14:50
Its substantially different . . . apparently.

Also the advantage in Aus , is the ability to take it for a good long fang , to clear it up . . . Cant do that in Japan.

I guess there are two questions.

Whats wrong with the motor ?

What sort of budget ?

Diesels are expensive to rebuild regardless of whats wrong . . . it just goes from Expensive to VERY expensive.

On a limited budget , an import may be just the ticket (was for me).
FollowupID: 363697

Follow Up By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:14

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 15:14
Ok so I havn't actually BEEN to japan, however I have been through aisa for work including Honkong and Taiwan. (both small islands). My wife is from New Zealand (two small islands) and my brother in law from Tazmania (do we need to say anymore about that one??).
Now I can't imagine japan being THAT MUCH different to somewhere like Taiwan or HongKong. Dense population, small landmass etc etc. They still have freeways, you can still go for a drive in the country in Taiwan. You can still give your car a "fang" if you want to.
Our patrol at work does a daily trip of about 14kms to and from the office plus a little bit of running around the suburbs with the occasional trip into town. I'm sure there are a lot of diesel 4bies out there in the cities just the same as that. I think scooping all the jap motors up and putting them into the same basket is being a little heavy handed. I also think you've got just as much chance of having a low miles engine with heaps of idle time and no long runs in Australia as you do in any of these places. I also find it hard to beleive that there are no freeways or country roads in japan and that all Japanese drivers do is sit at traffic lights idling their diesel 4wds and listening to the radio.
But hey! I might be wrong, it's all MHO.
FollowupID: 363701

Follow Up By: flappa - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:09

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 16:09
Never been there either , thats why I said . . . apparently.

I have spoken to quite a few people about this though , when I was looking at buying a Delica (TD Van import).

Also when I was discussing my new motor for the PJ.

It was a similar thing.

There is fair more POTENTIAL for problems in these diesel imports , because its a different way to drive.

They dont bother going for a fang , because there is no need to. They only keep vehicles for 5 years or so (thats why imports are often a good deal)

Fuel is quite expensive (equivelent to about $1.50 AUD a litre) . so they dont just . . . go for a drive.

I guess the other point (and it wouldn't matter whether it was local diesel or import) , is being able to get it checked out.

Makes it difficult , to have a motor sent interstate (like I did) , find its a dud , and have to send it back.

You can do all the inspections you like , its really not till you have the thing running that you find the problems (like I did).
FollowupID: 363721

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:19

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:19
thoght about a comodore v6 swap shouldnt be hard to find a drive in drive out place that can give you an exact quote
AnswerID: 106701

Reply By: Member - Matt Mu (Perth-WA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:57

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:57
I have an imported Isuzu motor in my MU, the 2.8TD cooked after losing the water pump seal and I threw in a 3.1TD Jackaroo motor!! That was 150 000km ago! What a gem! There is no need to be scared about import motors, they are low cost and come with a 3-6month warranty. Find one, get it checked and give it a go, if its a dud, pretty rare esp with TD since they are not performance Drift racers etc! Then you can swap it on warranty.

Just before you put it in do all the service stuff, like change ALL the water/coolant hoses (some are in very tight places) and fit new timing belt. That way you know what you are starting with.

The cost of rebuilding a modern TD is very painfull to the hip pocket, you can afford to try 2 or 3 imports for the coparative cost.

I have had few friends and even relatives replace 2.4d Hilux with 2.4 TD surf and even fit a later model pajero import into a clapped out NJ Paj. No probs first go!!

So do your homework, look at good importers and dont believe the hyp about import motors, it might suit you perfectly. Your choice!

Matt.
AnswerID: 106709

Sponsored Links