Flinders Ranges Follow Up

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 09:11
ThreadID: 22051 Views:2114 Replies:4 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Rather than go back to my original thread (which is now on page 5 and nobody will read) I thought I'd follow up on your replies. The original subject relates to myself and my wife heading to the Flinders for three nights and asking members for advice re where to stay and what forby tracks are worth doing.

The advice from the members is invaluable and I sincerely thank you for your input. The common denominator from your replies indicates that Parachilna or Willow Springs is the place to call "home" and the Skytrek is a must trip as is St Marys Peak (hiking).

Whilst Sandra (my wife) pretends to like to rough it I can tell you she REALLY loves the creature comforts (as witnessed by our recent trip to the States where she insisted we stay at the Beverly Wilshire on Rodeo Drive (Pretty Woman fame) and the Venetian Hotel in Vegas (just can't wait for that bankcard bill to arrive in the mail). I may have to forgo the tent and perhaps looking at staying in the Prairie Hotel near Parachilna - I mean to stay we do need to keep those women happy don't we?

By the way - this is by far the best website re 4wd/exploring etc.
Regards
Huggy (Dave)

Once again many thanks for your input
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: peter in sa - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:16

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:16
Huggy get the missus up around parachlina and skytrek she might throw the towel in mate and hijack the plane out of wilpena pound and head straight back to vegas mate it just might be to much for her ha ha ha . we are staying out at parachilna gorge for anzac weekend if your up there than keep a look out for a red dual cab hilux and the paj we might be doing skytrek on the saturday cheer'sGREENDOG
AnswerID: 106672

Follow Up By: HUGGY (SA) - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:55

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 10:55
G'day Greendog,
We have decided to head to the Flinders on the May long weekend so will not be catching up with you. My wife saw your reply and INSISTS that she loves roughing it - as long as its a five star hotel.
Regards
Huggy
FollowupID: 363660

Follow Up By: Des Lexic - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 13:21

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 13:21
Huggy, I should remind you that this is a www site and therefore open for the world to read, your comment that your wife likes it rough nearly sent me heading for the cold showers. (and it is cold today too) LOL
FollowupID: 363682

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 17:55

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 17:55
Pinched five of those little gold stars off the kids a while ago and put on the inside door of the car.
It was not appreciated.
Actually after 20 years of camping, 3 stars is acceptable now to SWMBO:-).
FollowupID: 363737

Reply By: Mike - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:00

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 11:00
Having stayed at the Prarie, I would suggest it is an extremely suitable option for someone who wants a little luxury. You would be advised to book, as it is very popular. There is a variety of rooms to suit most tastes, the people are extremely friendly and helpfull and the food is superb. It is also an easy drive from most interesting parts of the Flinders, although Rawnsley park would be closer to Skytrek. Enjoy your visit.

happy trails, Mike.
AnswerID: 106681

Reply By: Willem - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:54

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 12:54
I have a different view of the Prairie Hotel at Parachilna Siding. Out on a barren plain........... Take your chequebook with you mate.

The view of th Flinders Ranges is nice.

Go to Warraweena Conservation Park from there. Some very scenic tracks and if you camp over you don't have to pay to drive them

I like the way you fellas always blame the wife for wanting luxuries. In any case, what are luxuries? Do you have these at home? Or is it something you all aspire to?
AnswerID: 106708

Follow Up By: old-plodder - Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 17:58

Thursday, Apr 14, 2005 at 17:58
Must admit I enjoyed taking my wife to dinner at Arkaroola, and the bottle of red went down well after a couple of beers in the lounge. I think we were the only ones from the campground. Got a funny look from the waiter when he asked for our room number to charge the meal and said the tent didn't have one.
FollowupID: 363738

Follow Up By: Member - Mike (SA) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 17:15

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 17:15
Willem

Agre with your comments - however would add Ranwsley Park "at the other end" as a good alternantive.

from down the road!!

Mike
Too little time in the bush!
VKS 737 Mobile 0230

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 364104

Reply By: Member - Steve M (SA) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 21:17

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 21:17
Another alternative is the 'rammed earth" self contained units at Wilpena Pound. I have stayed in these before and they are great.

Personally, I use Rawnsley Park for the 'mid Flinders', Warraweena for the Northern (bloody great but no 'facilities' if that's what you need) and Argadell (near Quorn) for a quick getaway from Adelaide. Again, all camping and no facilities.

AnswerID: 108039

Sponsored Links