Patrol Intercooler

Submitted: Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 2206 Views:6420 Replies:6 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Can anybody help with after-market intercoolers for TD42T Patrol. Is it a worthwhile conversion and which is better, top mount or front mount. I would like feedback on power and performance and any changes to fuel consumption?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: flappan - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00
A bit of general info for you.

Front mount are considered better, better airflow and cooling however considered more vunerable then the top mounts. On a 4wd though thats probably not such a big issue, you should also have plenty of room on the front of a Patrol to fit one. Top mounts are easier to fit, although normally smaller and suffer a bit from the heat of the engine. They still work though. Usually say a 10 to 15 % increase for an intercooler
AnswerID: 7765

Reply By: sambo - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

In regards to your question there are numerous aftermarket turbo diesel companys who fit intercoolers to 4.2TD Patrols. Depending on what you are looking at spending the power and torque increases are anything from 10 - 40% over standard and most claim better fuel economy as well. If you look through a few 4wd magazines you will find them listed in there and can choose one close to your area. Cheers
AnswerID: 7769

Follow Up By: Desert - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Yes I understand the availability of the different styles, however, I was hoping to get a reply from someone who has actually had the conversion done and can collaborate actual power (either by dyno readings before and after) and/or fuel consumption checks made with the intercooler fitted. Currently, I am most dissappointed with power and fuel consumption of my GU ute. My previous Toyota 75 series would run rings around it! However, thanks for your time.
FollowupID: 3586

Reply By: Truckster - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

Funny you should ask this.

I called Safari yesterday about one for my GQ TD42T. I have the Denco Turbo kit. They werent sure if the Safari would fit, they said it would ONLY fit theirs, and maybe not even Nissans OEM one!!!

I think it was around $2200 fitted! Thats if you have No bullbar, lights, winch, and a Safari Turbo. Then its extra.. To me thats Nuts. The Turbo kit wasnt much more than that. But if the power increase is the same, then Im there.

I have a mate that makes Intercoolers for Drag/race cars, he suggested that over ~$1500 is criminal (not fitted)... The ones that Andrew makes are AMAZING.. So much more volume than Safari's ones, thus better cooling!

Heres a couple of photos of Andrews work..
http://www.offroad.au.com/photo/Turbo_Rotary.jpg
http://www.offroad.au.com/photo/MazdaInter25.jpg
http://www.offroad.au.com/photo/weld_quality.jpg

Now for where to put it....
If you do a lot of slow work, then over the engine like a GU 3.0 is useless as you get heat soak, but I have seen some with LARGE themo fans under them. Then you also need the Bonnet Scoop, that has quadrupled in price in 18 months due to its popularity! Sad it was $90!

The other option is behind the Grill... Good for slow work as the heat of the engine goes away from the Intercooler... But theres not much room behind the grill for a largeish IC, and they grind away part of the back of the grill to fit this in there at Safari...

So there are options, but which way to go is another issue!

HTH
AnswerID: 7776

Follow Up By: Truckster - Tuesday, Oct 22, 2002 at 00:00

The answers to your questions lies here. 537 Patrol owners, that have been there done that, and have the stuff to prove it...

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/patrol4wd/
FollowupID: 3593

Follow Up By: Desert - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00
Thank you truckster for the advice, however, when I get into yahoo/group, that is as far as I can get. I cannot find any link to Patrols or Nissan's etc. What's the go? Can you walk me through it?
Regards, Desert.
FollowupID: 3601

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Desert,
no problems.
Goto
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Patrol4WD/

once there you should see a button that says JOIN GROUP.
Click on that, and fill in the blanks.
Submit it, then Adam the moderator will approve your membership, usually 24 hours tops, and your in!
You can then access everything.

Its a good bunch of people same as here, but with a lot more competition people, but no discounts on things... :(
FollowupID: 3603

Reply By: Scooby - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

I have a new GU Patrol bonnet scoop for sale, see the Trader section.
AnswerID: 7796

Follow Up By: Truckster - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Can you mail me about it
fu_kew@hotmail.com
A genuine Nissan GU bonnet scoop, still in box, never used.

Price: $70
Email: Item no longer available
FollowupID: 3602

Reply By: Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

How can I contact Andrew? Offlist if you like. 4wdtraining@cairns.net.au Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 7800

Reply By: truckster - Wednesday, Oct 23, 2002 at 00:00

Since Scoob sold his scoop, Ive found someone sellin GU scoops for $99 new.

mail me off list if anyone is interested
AnswerID: 7808

Sponsored Links