Buying a Winch

Submitted: Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:12
ThreadID: 22080 Views:2407 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Morning All.

I am looking to buy a winch for the front of my forby. Has anyone used one of the cheaper brands (Acme, Premier), and had any major problems? If so, what sort of warranty did these come with, and how was the aftermarket service? And what is a good price for one of these.

And a slightly different question - shout I go for electric or hydraulic? Hydraulic seems to be about twice the price, but they are more powerful, and apparantly use less electricity.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Juan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: DukeAtty - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:24

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:24
From what i understand if you have a stalled vehicle the hyd winch wont work...
AnswerID: 106857

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:44

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:44
Have heard good reports about the Premier. (no, not Bob bloody Carr...haha)

Hydraulic winches only use a few amps, compared to the leccy jobbies that use up to 500amps. The hydraulic ones are slower, about as powerful (say 10,000lb), DO required the engine to be running (but in reality, so do electric winches if being used for anything longer than a few minutes).

A half-competent handyman could instal a electric winch without any dramas, but a hydraulic unit will probably need to be professionally installed.

Good luck

Roachie
AnswerID: 106861

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:09

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:09
Roachie,

I resemble that remark about being "a half-competent handyman" and a profession hydraulic winch fitter. Have fitted both types of winches.The electric is easer but the hydraulic is not that hard either, not that I told anyone.

I was is great demand at one stage to fit the hydraulic winch and use to charge accordingly. They were the good old days.

Wayne
FollowupID: 363838

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:55

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 10:55
Juan,

The Preimer winch is a Chinese copy of a Warn winch. I have not had any personial experience with the winch so will not make a comment.

I have in the past used a Warn 9000lb winch and have found them to be very good, but both form of winches, electric and hydraulic, have there good and bad points.

As for the hydraulic winch I will make a comment as I have one. They are slow, very slow but they are continuous duty and very powerful. Unlike a electric winch which has to be run in short bursts and then rest while the battery recharges and the winch cools off the hydraulic winch uses only enough power from the battery to keep the solenoids engaged. The engine has only to idle to make the winch work, unlike the electric which should be run at about 1200rpm, and does your vehicle have a hand throttle?

The hydraulic winch is slow while pulling but has a very quick rewind action which is engaged by moving the two levers on the winch. The winch also has a freewheel postion which will alow the cable to be pulled out by hand(wearing gloves of course). The winch is very quiet, in fact you would not hear it over the motor running. This also bring out the point that the motor has to be running for the winch to work. A electric winch can be used for a short time with out the motor running but will run the battery flat, and now you are still stuck, tight winch cable and a vehicle that won't start.

After the purchase of the winch don't forget all the recovery gear that will be required to make the winch work. Tree trunk protector, snatch block, bow shackles, winch extension strap, drag chain, bridle, air brake and gloves.

Wayne

The hdraulic winch is expensive with less parts to go wrong, but you would have to ask yourself how often do you think that you will use a winch?

Wayne
AnswerID: 106865

Reply By: 80scruiser - Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 21:14

Friday, Apr 15, 2005 at 21:14
What size vehicle is it going on? I presume a Patrol.
I recommend the Brawn 9500lb. I have one on my 80. Good winch with good back up service.
I can sell you one if you are in NSW for alot less than a warn. You can get me here with email and we will talk.
AnswerID: 106963

Sponsored Links