supercool fridge

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 16:20
ThreadID: 22114 Views:4733 Replies:4 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all can any one give any advise or opinion on a fridge/ freezer by the name of supercool, made by evacool but i believe about 4 years old. has a compressor but inside has a cylander , doesnt appear to have an element like the ones of today., also a little noisy from this cyl. guess new 47 ltr can get for $1000. this one $425 obviously difference in cost but is it old technology, quick responses would be appreciated.... thanks in antisipation Max
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 17:05

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 17:05
There was a post on this about a week or so back.
You can have the fridge upgraded with a new danfloss compressor etc to bring it up to current technology, but the cost is about $400, so you are not going to save much if you pay $425 for it.

For example, Rays Outdoors are selling the Engel MT45 (40 litre) anniversary special at present for $999 and the Waeco equivalent a little cheaper.

The Engel has a stainless steel body and built in temperature gauge in this model.

Know what I'd be buying, if I didn't already have one.

You will get all sorts of opinions on Engel vs Waeco vs Reefer vs Autofridge vs Acme (Acme???) but the fact remains that the Engel is the benchmark that all others strive to match and the resale value will remain high if you decided to sell it in years to come.

Now I have waved the red flag, let's see what the bulls do:-)))
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 107046

Follow Up By: hedevil - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 17:33

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 17:33
hi sandman mmm cat amongst the pidgions ya reckon, thanks for the reply. just advised fridge has been sold , but as you say hadnt seen those workings so was reluctant. we need a fridge that opens the oposite way to engel. after doing some research i believe the evacool to suit our duel needs, but engel would be my next choice, did see a great addition to the egel to add extra space recently at the caravan show. heading off for a 6 month tripin june and wanted exra fridge/freezer space.... max
FollowupID: 364009

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Australia) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 17:47

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 17:47
Don't feel bad about it being sold. They had a few quality problems the company went broke and then became EvaKool. It's usual for supercool fridges to have a short life but the Evakool is ok.
FollowupID: 364010

Follow Up By: hedevil - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 19:05

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 19:05
Hi all, thanks and no i dont feel bad, just in my latest research had not come across this supercool . yes most achive information sugests whoever has a particular brand is in most cases happy. for my application we need the lid to open in the way the evacool do, because of overhead cupboards in the motorhome, it has been a real struggle to get a good deal on one though, even went to caloundra to the factory and only would discount it $50.00.went to one retailer in brisbane southside and the manager said there thats the price and thats it. guess now camp mart have been taken over by supercheap they reckon they have the monopoly guess that happens. thanks all for the input.
Have read from an advertiser on this site of a battery current saver were you can choose the cycle of the fridge hence reducing the ammount of current draw, for $135 discounted to this site not sure if its effective or not, we are off on a 6 month trip around oz in june...max
FollowupID: 364016

Reply By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 18:38

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 18:38
I note that it has already been sold, but will still give this advice. Avoid second hand when you can get new with a warranty for not a whole lot more.

For very good value (can't think of anything better), you can pick up a Waeco from the Fridge Shop for about $600. Do an archive search; lots and lots of people have dealt with them and I've yet to read a complaint.

As for Sand Man's "fact" that they are the benchmark, I think he's referring to price LOL.

My "fact", Waeco set the benchmark for value.

I've actually owned both and they are both excellent fridges.

Cheers,

Jim.
AnswerID: 107050

Follow Up By: Sand Man (SA) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 18:51

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 18:51
OK I'll bite Jim,

Check previous posts on this forum and see how many people experience niggly little faults with the Waeco.

How many are there with Engel.

As the saying goes, "ÿou get what you pay for".

There is less than $50 difference in the price of both at present.

Now I'm not bagging Waeco. My mate has one and it works OK, NOW.

But don't bag Engel just because they are a little dearer.
Some people are happy to pay a little extra for a quality product and are satisfied with their choice.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 364014

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 20:22

Saturday, Apr 16, 2005 at 20:22
Sandy,

I never bagged the Engel. I said mine was an excellent fridge, got 6 years of great service out of it.

When I needed a larger fridge, the options were a 60l Engel at $1600 or an 80L Waeco for $980 (a bit more than $50).

As I've said before, I'll tell you in another 5 years if it was the right decision, but so far, so good. And it's going to have to have a lot of repair issues to use up the extra $620, not to mention the greater capacity.

I got what I paid for, a bigger fridge for a lot less money.

There are also posts about Engel problems, they are not beyond mechanical failure, as is any mechanical device.

Anyway, I reckon I'm entitled to comment, having owned both.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 364030

Reply By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 13:08

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 13:08
"Bench mark" doesn't mean "best" it means the "standard by which others are measured".
Some don't measure up to the benchmark ..... others exceed the benchmark.
Semantics.. pedantics...paralysis ticks.
Mind you. the benchmark is usually a pretty good standard (as is the Engel).
The Evakool opens sideways, which suits my vehicle, and stays at temp even when the internal car temp is over 50ºC.
Cheers
Oskar
AnswerID: 107099

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 15:03

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 15:03
Or is bench mark the setting of a new highest standard. When a new, and better than previously available, product is released, is it not said to have set a new benchmark? :-)

Any English Professors out there?

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 364091

Follow Up By: Member - Oskar (Bris) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 07:15

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 07:15
Jim
It's all semantics as most people would think that it means the "best".
The term is actually a surveying term refering to a starting point for a contour survey. (All new heights are compared/referenced to the "benchmark" height.... I teach surveying)
It is also correctly used as a term used for a point of reference when comparing similar items. (At least that is what the dictionary says)
My obsessive-compulsive side also jerks a bit when I see "duel" instead of "dual" and stuff like that, but that's the condition I have to live with. LOL
I hope this post is too far down the list for others to think I'm a "smart-a..."
I like the way you think!
Cheers
Oskar
FollowupID: 364152

Reply By: BigO- Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:35

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:35
Max,
I have an Evakool RF 60 fridge/freezer and have found it to be fantastic. The 2 things that I thought were important when I bought it were 1/ MADE IN AUSTRALIA and 2/ it was the biggest I could fit in my Kanga camper. The best deal I could get was at the Melbourne 4x4 show where they threw in the 240v power supply. I have found that because the insulation is so good in the evakool the average current draw is way down compared with friends Weaco and Engal fridges without the need to dress them in insulating covers.
AnswerID: 107166

Follow Up By: raazorj - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 10:11

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 10:11
Just bought an evakool yesterday picked up one as 4x4 show special Brisvegas $1500 includes 12 volt light $89 power pac $159 for rf 85lt model really impressive product great finish would be easily kept clean and no plastic to suck up the sun and warp.
FollowupID: 364826

Sponsored Links