Parkes, Dubbo, GOOBANG revisited

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 00:24
ThreadID: 22125 Views:3327 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Followup from post id 21227

We spent our first night at Canobolas State Forest near Orange, great views on the way up and down, but the highlight was the moonless starry night.

The next day we spent some time at "The Dish", north of Parkes; impressive, especially if you get to see them move the damn thing, we made our way to Goobang National Park.

We took the Trewilga-Yeoval Rd which cuts through the centre of the park and half way through is the entrance to the Sawpit Gully Track. We followed this north for about 5kms to the Greenbah camping area. Its a nice well wooded area, although dry at the moment you could imagine it being quite pretty if it greens up; the facilities have been upgraded with a toilet (quite good for a long drop), no water, picnic tables, just one bbq pit, and some landscaping.

The next day we continued North through the park along a 4WD only track; this was very pleasant drive, with a steep descent down loose rock slopes near the end.

At this end is the Wanda Wandong camping area, a large open area, not so many trees, and again would look great when green.

2WDs can get to both of the camping areas at either end of the park, they just can't take the short cut directly through to the other.

From here, we hit the Tomingley Rd, then the Newell Hwy into Dubbo.

We thought we'd settle for comfort and stayed for 2 nights at the Dubbo City Caravan park, nicely shaded and clean. But after two good sleeps in the bush, the noises of the city of Dubbo and a boofhead camper who snoozed his alarm twice from 5am kept me from enjoying some solid kip.

The highlight of Dubbo is the Zoo. We made our way there for the breaky tour which started at 6:45am. We expected a few folks to be there, but not the long queues that awaited us at the drive through. We got in OK, and joined about 25 others in our group (which was just one of a number of groups) for an informative 2 hour guided tour. After a hot breakfast we grabbed an electric cart for 3 hours to zip around the Zoo; nice to drive the silent cart compared to the diesel Patrol for a change :-)

One benefit of doing the early tour is that animals are fairly active, compared to later on. A real bonus was the Siamang Gibbons; these guys are active and make incredible noises that can be heard up to 4kms away, amazing.

After one more night, we made our way back to Sydney over the mountains along the Bells Line of Road (as opposed to the highway through Katoomba etc). This is a very picturesque road that takes you past the famous Zigzag railway as well as turn offs to magic places like Mount Wilson, a very picturesque village with autumn colours at their best.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Troopy Travellers (NSW) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 06:39

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 06:39
Nice story Stuart, but where the photos, lol. Carolyn
AnswerID: 107081

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 08:18

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 08:18
Yeah Photo's

I wanna see a "clean longdrop". Lol
FollowupID: 364066

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 08:31

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 08:31
Oops sorry, I misquote you.

you said "good longdrop" not "clean longdrop", I can live with "good".

Btw seeing that big thingy moving must of been "awe", if you know what I mean.

Have a great trip.

iMusty
FollowupID: 364068

Follow Up By: Lyds - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 10:41

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 10:41
good idea Carolyn. try these!

Sorry Musty, no photos of the longdrop.
FollowupID: 364076

Sponsored Links