Anyone have any ideas which may help me ? My 2003 troopy camper
(normally aspirated diesel) occasionally "stutters" or momentarily loses
power - (feels like a petrol motor "missing" ). This happens when I'm
cruising along, hillclimbing, or sometimes in town, usually on
acceleration.

I have recently had the 40000 km major service done where all filters
were supposed to be replaced, so assume that the problem isn't there -
what else should I check ?

Has anyone experienced similar problems ? And fixes ?

thanks
Terry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:23

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:23
one of the contracters work utes exibited simular problems before totally dieing the problem was related to the cut off solonoid wiring
AnswerID: 107161

Reply By: Peter 2 - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:45

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:45
Could also be an intermittent fuel blockage (changeover fuel solenoids can do this) or could be a small air leak at filters.
I had this happen about 2,000 k's after a service, the nong who fitted the new fuel filter left the sealing O ring off, had to put the whole filter assembly in a vice to get it off as it had cut into the alloy fitting but still had a tiny air leak.
AnswerID: 107181

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 00:44

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 00:44
Terry

I am willing to put $20 on a fuel issue.

Firstly, if your set up is the same as my 1997 Troopy, you should have two (2) fuel filters.

The service guys for some reason only seem to change/service the second one in line (last one line before pump).

I asked many a time as to why not the first one as well and was just told ' you only need to do the main one, as the other is a pre filter thing'.

I have my own idea/s as to why its not changed however that is not for this forum.

Whatever, if the first filter is not checked/serviced/changed(which it should be) then changing the second one won't help all that much.

Secondly, once again if your set up is the same as mine, there is no fuel pump prior to the filters and the fuel flow relies on the 'lift' generated by the main pump.

If there is a restriction in your filtering system or a air bleed , then as the revs get up and the lift pump sucks more than what it can get in the way of fuel, a thing called 'cavitation' can take place.

Both the above can give you the symtoms that you are experiencing.

Another thing - I purchased my Troopy with 30,000Kms on the clock and on either the first or second service the serviceman located a 'in line fuel filter' that some one had added after market, and from the look of it had never been changed since installation.

I have since replaced the original two filters with a CAV filter system and it runs like a dream.

Regards

Ken Robinson

AnswerID: 107187

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 17:07

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 17:07
the first one is just that the first too block. I removed one from a work ute that was running crap and it was full of a jelly substance - bet the 2nd one was fine
FollowupID: 364217

Reply By: cruiser - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:26

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:26
Does the car feel like it is having a bad case of the hiccups ?

I had that problem and it only seemed to occur after it had rained. Turned out to be a bad earth connection. Took ages to narrow it down, but finally did and no more problems.

Hope this is of some use.
AnswerID: 107210

Reply By: Pterosaur - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 00:37

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 00:37
Hi all,

thanks for the tips - I did have a bit of trouble finding the spark plug leads (another forum) !!! :-D, upshot is that I'm booking vehicle in to Mr. Tojo with instructions to change both filters, check wiring to cut out solenoid. Will update when I know the results.

regards
Terry
2003 HZJ78 camper
AnswerID: 107754

Sponsored Links