CSR from Melb

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 20:35
ThreadID: 22145 Views:1888 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I am trying to plan my next trip (can only get 35 days of holidays). I am considering the CSR. Assuming it takes 20 days for the CSR. I live in Melb and am looking for suggestions on which route to get to Wiluna and suggestions for the trip home to Melb from Halls Creek.

Thanks in advance
Phil P

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Steve - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 20:50

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 20:50
Leaving Melbourne turn left at the lights for Perth..travel till u see a sign to Wiluna on your right ..Follow till u get to Wiluna..expect to drive 5 days...as for Halls creek..leave the town and turn right and follow road to Alice Springs...after Alice follow road to Port Augusta..( not the same as Augusta where they play golf ) then Adelaide and then to Melbourne...allow 4 days for this jaunt...Easy ..
AnswerID: 107151

Reply By: bob - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 20:59

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 20:59
Try www.travelmate.com.au and use their map maker
AnswerID: 107153

Reply By: Member - Mike H (VIC) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 13:29

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 13:29
Hi Phil,
what worked for me was the following:
Hotfoot it to Port Augusta and north to about 20 k's south of Kulgera ( at the border ) and take the Mulga Park Road to Curtin Springs and Yulara. Past the Olgas onto the Gunbarrel Hwy to Carnegie. Either go south-west to Wiluna to start on the CSR from there or through Glen Ayle to Well 9. Then after the CSR when you hit the Tanami Track go east all the way to Alice. ( You don't need to go all the way to Halls Creek )
On your way south from Alice you should still have enough time to visit Chambers Pillar, through Finke and then along the Oodnadatta Track. Take in the Flinders Ranges before heading back to Melbourne.
I think that with 35 days you should just make that. If you find that you are running short of time then just omit Chambers Pillar etc. and head for William Creek on the Oodnadatta Track once you get to Coober Pedy.

You should be able to comfortably to the CSR in about 15 days.
You will need a permit for the Gunbarrel Hwy.. Have it mailed to you before you go. Having that permit saves you the entry fees to Uluru - Kata Tjuta.

Have a good one and take care,
Mike
AnswerID: 107228

Reply By: Phil P - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:58

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 17:58
Thanks for the suggestions !
AnswerID: 107416

Sponsored Links