100 Series

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:17
ThreadID: 22149 Views:2756 Replies:8 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
I'm shortly taking ownership of a used 100 series Landcruiser which has a bullbar, towbar and spotlights but no other accessories fitted.

I'm curious as to what you would list as the most critical accessories for safe bush work bearing in mind the cost of each item. ie. is a winch more critical than a snorkle even though the snorkle is more affordable.

I've also been advised to replace the timing belt asap as this is a common weak point. Is this true?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:24

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:24
G-wizz

Petrol/Diesel????????
IFS/Live axle?????
How much time and how far into the scrub do you go. Alone or in company of others??????????????
How experienced are you with four wheel drives??????

Cheers
Wal
AnswerID: 107162

Follow Up By: G-wizz - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:32

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 21:32
Diesel, IFS, not very experienced, and subsequently I don't extend myself too much at this stage but am inclined to go solo.
FollowupID: 364134

Reply By: Footloose - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:03

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:03
Your first priority should be a complete and comprehensive service. Then the goodies. Which model is it ? If the standard/DX put some GXL seats in with a console and map pockets. Well worth it.
How bigs the family ? Will you need a roofrack ? What sort of travelling are you intending to do ?
Upgrade the lights if you travel at night, at least put some decent spotties on it.
Make sure you have 2 batteries, one for starting and one for your add ons. Fridge, recovery gear (start with jumper leads), and if you go solo make sure you have some tyre gear, two spares and some communications, both UHF CB and either a satphone or a HF radio.
Lastly, if you're reasonably new to 4wding, do a course.
AnswerID: 107170

Follow Up By: G-wizz - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:39

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:39
The vehicle has been well and regularly serviced by our company mechanic which is one of the reasons I'm buying it.

It's a 2001 base model with high milage but never done any real work. Probably won't need a roof rack. Dual batteries are on the list and I have top quality jumper leads (welding cable). Currently running split rims but I would like a bit more rubber on the road I think.

I had thought I would do a course and I was going to go with an epirb and HF radio for comms.
FollowupID: 364147

Reply By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:36

Sunday, Apr 17, 2005 at 22:36
G-wizz

Yeah, what Footloose said and;
The first thing I would go for if it hasn't got them already is some half decent rubber. The soft sooky highway treads might ride nice on the blacktop but will soon part company with you once you start working them a bit off road. Like everything budget will dictate how far you go but at least some good quality All Terrains. Seriously look at getting that spare out from underneath and onto a rear carrier and a good set of aftermarket shocks and probably coils on the backend to cope with the extra weight in toys you will aquire.
If your style of off roading incorporates a bit of water crossing I would go for the snorkel sooner rather than later.
The want to haves and should haves should become fairly obvious to you as grow
with your new truck and the type of country you frequent. Budget will be the biggest hurdle probably which will naturally help prune the wish list.
The 1HZ diesel requires the timing belt to be changed every 100,000 km and there is a dash light that will come on to remind you when it's time to do it. Not to do it will be at your own peril (read expensive).
If you see the lattest copy of Australian 4wd monthly you will see where they just bought a 98 model 100 series and spent nearly 30 grand on it to take it from stocker to bush beast in a few days, something that will never happen for most of us mere mortals.
Probably the best thing you could do is some sort of 4wd course or join a club of some sort and improve your knowledge. Also these forums are a good source of info so don't be afraid to use them.
Have fun.
Cheers
Wal.
AnswerID: 107179

Follow Up By: Peter - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:56

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:56
Timing belt is replaced every 150,000km these days.
FollowupID: 364257

Follow Up By: Member - Kimberly Kruiser (WA) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:57

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:57
G'day Peter

Sorry I must have been mislead by both my Toyota 1HZ diesel owners manuals when they both have 100,000km for timing belt changes unless of course the 1HZ in the 100 series is different.

Cheers
FollowupID: 364265

Follow Up By: Peter - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 23:26

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 23:26
Thats cool, looks like theey have increased the interval for the 100 series. Don't know if it is a different belt or not though.
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 364629

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:29

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:29
Have a look a www.lcool.org (Landcruisers Owners Online) for all the technical stuff related to you vehicle.
AnswerID: 107211

Reply By: Member - Troopytrek - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 12:29

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 12:29
G-wizz
the latest 4x4 monthly magazine has just done a fit-out on a dx 100series with just about one of every accessory available. not suggesting you need one of everything (however nice it would be) but the article includes parts prices and fitting prices of everything they fitted so it might be of some use as far as knowing how much money you will be up for.

Troopytrek.
AnswerID: 107221

Reply By: Member - Gary W (VIC) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 13:15

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 13:15
G-Wizz

We have a 2004 LC100 T/D Auto (IFS).

In order of priority I'd do the following:
1. Good set of A/T (or M/T) Tyres - I have Mickey Thompson Dick Cepeks which have served me well. Not so good in very muddy stuff and did get a bit chewed up on the very stoney desert tracks e.g. Oodnadatta Trk. But overall still a tyre I'd recommend. - Having 285/75/16's will give you an extra 25mm lift. Knocks a bit of power off but the T/D has plenty to spare.
2. Upgraded Suspension - I have 200kg constant load rear springs with OME Front T'Bars. Keep an eye on the weak front A'Arms - I'm getting mine strengthed. The suspension upgrade is a must because out of the factory they badly sag their bum.
3. Air lockers (Front & Rear) however this is very expensive. But I've found them essential in the high country due to the IFS lifting a front wheel too easily. They have saved me from having to run up on most obsticals therefore looking after the vehicle more.
4. A good set of spotties - I have Light Force 240 Blitz.
- I have assumed you already have a UHF radio and essential recovery gear.

I hope that helps.

JMHO

Gaz
AnswerID: 107226

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 15:05

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 15:05
he said it is a work base model so I think it is rfs with n/a 1hz even though he said ifs
FollowupID: 364199

Follow Up By: G-wizz - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:52

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:52
You may well be right Davoe.
FollowupID: 364256

Reply By: Member - DOZER- Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 16:53

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 16:53
Hi
Mate, id first speak to the mechanic....if its been serviced, i wouldnt do th belt till its next due, spend money on a snorkel if you are going anywhere in the bush....it can rain up stream, and you will not get change from 10k if you put it under....not to mention better power from the motor...go safari on that one.
Then a dual battery will keep it goiing when your out there....
Interesting way to set them up discussed here not that long ago....hook up together all the time, and set a voltage monitor to cut power at 12.5v to the accessories...cheap and reliable.
BE vary careful reversing out of hard places, as the front diff is a weak point....even reversing on sand brakes them....so if the budget allows, get an air locker fitted to the front diff, which strengthens them up a bit.
Your cruiser is a solid performer...but std suspension is not much chop compared to OME suspension.....probably the best value for money mod you will make....the ride becomes firmer but less harsh.
Enjoy
Andrew
AnswerID: 107259

Reply By: G-wizz - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:49

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:49
Thanks for the tips, much to think about.
AnswerID: 107303

Sponsored Links