Choice of new 4x4's

Submitted: Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 11:40
ThreadID: 22158 Views:2428 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
I'm in the lucky position where my work is giving me a nice car allowance package for a car PLUS paying insurance and a fuel card for both business and private usage. I'm looking for a new 4x4 now (been a while since i sold my old Disco) and want some opinions on the new ranges. I'll be driving in it everyday for work (~40,000kms/yr) so it needs to be comfy but still functional off road for camping and our annual trek to Coral Bay, so I've narrowed the choices down to:

LC100 GXL V8
Prado GXL V6
Disco3 V6
Patrol ST-S 4.8

Anyone got good or bad comments on the new models based on my type of usage? Needs to be good to drive in the city (Perth), but great off road and plenty of room for camping. I don't tow much (sometimes a 14" dinghy), and remember that fuel costs aren't an issue (thus the V8 LC100!).

Thanks
Nathan
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Brad (NSW) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 14:06

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 14:06
After driving the D3 off and on road yesterday, I would go for this vehicle. Power, comfort and 4wd ability was exellent.

There is a bit of a wait however I found out yesterday for the V6.

Room for camping gear etc has probably increased 100% since the older models. It also as room for 7 adults. Rear seats are exellent.

Braking ability was also excellent.

Probably the only draw back is that its just been released and hasnt built a reputation for its self. However, this would be one vehicle I would buy.
AnswerID: 107231

Follow Up By: NathanK - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 15:04

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 15:04
i sat in one (not driven one yet) and it was really nice, i'm a disco man at heart and it was great to be in the new one.

my only real beef is that the desirable options (ride level susp, etc) are on the SE model or expensive-as addons to the S model. puts it above the other models when you put those things onto the D3.
FollowupID: 364198

Reply By: Member - Stan (VIC) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 14:50

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 14:50
Prado got the best power to weight ratio off the all four cars listed. It is very smooth and very comfy for the city driving, drives more like a sedan car, specially the new 5sp Auto model and will go offroad anywhere other 3 cars would go... If
you after little bit more space then 100 Series would be the go.
AnswerID: 107237

Follow Up By: NathanK - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 15:02

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 15:02
i admit, the 120 GXL Prado V6 has the upper hand at the moment, they look sexy and have a very well laid out interior. i dislike the 180L tank without any sub tank arrangement like the LC100 though, nice to be able to separate fuel tanks.
FollowupID: 364197

Follow Up By: Disco200Tdi - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 16:06

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 16:06
I own a disco but would have to agree with Stan here. The power to weight of the prado makes it a winner in petrol form.
I think when you get to drive a V6 disco you will be a bit disappointed because the car weighs 2.7 tonnes. Other things like fuel range and that it will be a long time before we see aftermarket extras for the D3.

However, don't discount the V6 diesel disco, they apparently do go well
and should give reasonable range. You would need to get the SE model thou I think to get the terrain response system.

Cheers

John D
FollowupID: 364206

Follow Up By: NathanK - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 16:35

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 16:35
yeah, exactly. the range does worry me on the D3.

the SE model starts at $66k for the V6 and $74k for the diesel. pushes it way above the GXL Prado (heck, i think the VX is cheaper than that!!).
FollowupID: 364209

Reply By: Member - John - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 20:53

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 20:53
Nathan
I test drove the Discovery 3 TDV6 a couple of weeks back & the power is most impressive as well as being quiet.
This would help to solve the smaller fuel tank capacity that may otherwise irritate with the petrol models.

John
AnswerID: 107289

Reply By: aandf - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 20:59

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 20:59
Nathan

Prado is the way to go.

I am probably biased as I have owned a 120 series V6 GXL Prado for almost 2 years. I love it. It is driven daily around town and is very comfy, with bucket loads of power. It can be a bit thirsty aroud town, but in the country it is positively frugal.

It goes offroad as often as I can and we have just got back from a trip across the Canarvon Ranges and part of the Canning Stock Route. We towed a camper trailer (loaded with supplies etc for 4 people!) and had no problems other than a cracked windscreen (which was stone damage). It handled the sand hills with no problems and I was getting better fuel economy than the 3l diesel Nissans who weren't towing anything (much to their annoyance!) (average about 7 kms per litre).

The 180 litre tank and good economy give me a excellent range even whehn towing the camper.

It is basically standard with only a dual battery and some Bridgestone A/T tyres (if you are going offroad, ditch the Goodyears as I stripped mine is about 25,000 kms!)

I haven't driven the D3, but have the Nissan and the Patrol and definely prefer the Prado as it is a little smaller (and easier for the wife to park!) around town

Hope that helps.

AandF
AnswerID: 107292

Sponsored Links