Trailer Leaf springs

Submitted: Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 18:58
ThreadID: 22171 Views:1763 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

Hope someone can give me some advice on a dual axle horse float I am doing up (about 20years old).

When looking the leaf springs over, I noticed that the clips or bands on one of the leaf springs can both be moved up/down the leaf about 20mm or so. The U bolts are tight, and there doesnt look like the leafs are moving should I be worried??

I have another trailer , and it looks like the bands are riveted to the leafs. holding them nice and tight?

Looking at the other leaf springs on the trailer in question, none of them appear to be "riveted", but look like they have sort of been centre punched, where you would normally expect a rivet.

Should I be worried and have them repaired? Is it cheaper to get them resprung/fixed ? or I did notice supercheap was selling leafsprings for trailers for about $29.00 ? (Or would these be Super Crap?)

Thoughts. ideas and suggestions?

Cheers

Zane
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: allaussie - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:16

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:16
Zane , how you going the trailer problem is eazy, most leaf springs will move sideways if they move to and fro (back and forward)then it would be the rubber inserts or the shackles are wornleaf springs will move and twist be worried if they are crackedor broken cheers chris
AnswerID: 107295

Reply By: Bilbo - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:22

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:22
The old name for these "bands" was "foxclips". I've always assumed they were to prevent individual leafs from "squirming" out of alignment. So all the leafs are actually on top of one another and not just partly so.

Having said that, I've never seen much use in 'em and if it was me, I wouldn't worry about them moving.

Bilbo
AnswerID: 107308

Sponsored Links