Patrol GU 5th Gear Problems

Submitted: Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:09
ThreadID: 22173 Views:2677 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, a quick question for all the gu patrol 4.2 turbo owners. The 5th gear problems reported by so many people, has occured to an uncle of mine who is now stuck in Norseman WA. waiting for replacement parts. My question is does the later model GU's still have the weaker 5th gear or have nissan strengthed it up, and or, is their a stronger alternative to nissan. He also stuffed the spline and being told only genuine nissan parts are compatible, can any one confirm or deny this please.If there are alternatives where can we find them. Thanxs in advance, Trevor.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GUPatrol - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:28

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:28
Trevor,

The faulty splines are from production models 2000 to 2001 (although some late model 1999 and some 2002 are included). The only way to tell is by the VIN.

The problem was a stuffup by the gear/spline manufacturer.

Models before then are OK, models after that are OK (I got it in writting from Nissan).
Nissan fixes them under warranty even if the car is out of warranty.

Problem involves all models which use that gearbox 3.0L 4.2TD and Petrol 4.5

As far as the compatible parts go, if NIssan does it NIssan pays and they supply the parts, I would make sure they do it so they PAY!!

I hope this (first hand info) helps

William
AnswerID: 107298

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:58

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:58
G'day Trevor,
William is spot on....I've had to have mine changed too. The fact that the shaft has to be replaced is no surprise, as this was the part that was faulty in the first place. What happened was that the machining process failed to make the spline on the shaft long enough to go all the way through the inside of the 5th cog. I saw the cog and shaft that came out of my gearbox and there was sooooo much slop between the 2 items, I found it barely believable that they once belonged to one another.The outside teeth of the 5th gear is not the problem, only the inner spline area.
There is no aftermarket fix. I haven't had any dramas with mine since it was changed.
Good luck to your uncle mate.
Cheers
Roachie
FollowupID: 364258

Follow Up By: trendy - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:02

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:02
Thanxs william as this effects my 2000 model 4.2 turbo as well, although i have been aware of the problem and have never towed in 5th gear unlike my poor old uncle. I will get him and myself to contact nissan with his and my vin no. first thing 2morrow. Mine has 208 k's on it now but his has only 106 k's. I might be pushing my luck as mine is still in tact.
FollowupID: 364259

Reply By: trendy - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:07

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:07
Roachie thanx for the info this time frame for 5th gear probs also effects my 2000 model but I have done 208 k's now so i may be pushing my luck. On another note I will let you and all the other forumites know how the turbo mods I'm having done this friday effects my overheating. Big job and big bucks, but money well spent if it fixes it.
AnswerID: 107307

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:19

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:19
Thanks Trevor,
Can you tell me if your overheating problems only occur when under a fair sort of load, or all the time? Mine only occurs occasionally and with the cooler weather coming soon, I may not be able to tell if I've been unsuccessful until next summer.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Roachie
FollowupID: 364261

Follow Up By: trendy - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:33

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 22:33
Roachie my adress is TRJC@bigpond.com.au contact me for full breakdown if you wish. But the long and the short of it is my vehicle is rareley under 2.8 tonne then ther's the trailer, minimum 1.5 for small one and 2.5-3 for the big one. My beast overheats in just about all situations when i'm pushing it ( nearly always ), can do it nearly when I want it to. If I keep the throttle to less than 3/4 flat and keep revs to less than 3000 the problem is much better, but this means travelling at 70km/hr out west for long periods at a time. So I must get it fixed b4 I fall asleep behind the wheel. Cheers Trevor. P.S will keep you posted.
FollowupID: 364264

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:56

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 12:56
I have a 2000 4.2TD Patrol and have done in my fifth gear.

Rang Nissan and they are fixing it. I am not happy about being without a vehicle but I am happy that Nissan is willing to admit that there is a manufacturing fault and are fixing it.

Not all manufacturers show that integrity. The Ford Pinto is an example.

This is my third patrol and while Nissan continue to provide this type of service I will continue to be a Nissan owner.
Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 107372

Follow Up By: trendy - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:15

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:15
Kumanara, I totally agree regarding the after sales service nissan is showing in relation to the gearbox, it's just a shame they don't extend the same courtesy to those of us experiencing overheating problems as well. Overall am quite happy with most aspects of the vehicle, 208000 heavy towing k's and still going so can't complain too much. Regards Trevor.
FollowupID: 364322

Reply By: trendy - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 21:44

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 21:44
Thanks to all who responded my uncle is getting his fixed in a hurry at Norseman WA and Nissan has agreed to look at his claim when he puts it in writing at the end of his "big trip". Sounds promising for him, no luck for me until I break mine. But with no towing in 5th gear so far nissan say should not be a problem for me. Time will tell.
AnswerID: 107456

Follow Up By: Glenn D - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:36

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 12:36
How's it going,

I was in a similar situation last year, 5th gear letting go north of perth.
We werent towing anything but had the vehicle packed to the hilt.
Had the 5th gear/mainshaft replaced at Perth, the dealer we went to insisted that Nissan only supplied parts and I had to fork out about a grand to get it fixed

It was only when the exchange gearbox started playing up and we went to another dealer did we find out everything was covered.

To my surprise when I wrote a letter to Nissan on return to Sydney all labour costs were refunded .

Have to admit I was sceptical about getting money back that I had already forked out.

My Patrol is a 2001 3.0td an had 100000 on the clock at the time.

Hope your uncle gets his money back as well.

Glenn
FollowupID: 364414

Sponsored Links