Hayman Reese Hitch on a Cruiser

Submitted: Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 21:42
ThreadID: 22174 Views:2445 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

I've spent a good part of the afternoon fitting a HR Weight Distribution Hitch between a 100 series Landcruiser and a secondhand Roma Eclipse - 19 feet with tandem axles.

The only way I can come near what's required according to the Reese fitting instructions is to put the Reese hitch into the Landcruiser "square hole", upside down. i.e the "L" shape hitch is inverted with the cam adjustment holes in the square section pointing towards the bitumen. Is this normal?? Anyone else ever fitted one of these to a Landcruiser?

Even then, I'm a bit out on ensuring that the high point of the towball is level with the underside of the van ball receiver (hitch) - when the van is level. The top of the towball is about 20 mm higher than the underside of the van hitch when the Cruiser is level. I can't drop the towball height any further as it's on the last 2 holes now.

Does this sound right?

Bilbo
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: pjchris - Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:07

Monday, Apr 18, 2005 at 23:07
There is no right or wrong way up for the WDH. If you need to raise the ball on a sedan, say a Magna, then the WDH goes in with the long piece up.
If you need to lower the ball height it goes in the way you've done it.

Put it in so you can get the ball height set so that the frame of the van is as close to level as possible when towing.

On my Paj (2" lift) it goes in with the long piece down, the ball assembly in the lowest holes and the frame of the van is still up at the front...I need a longer adaptor for the WDH with more holes....

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107313

Reply By: Bilbo - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 00:28

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 00:28
Thanks, PJ. Sounds like I done it right!

Now all I gotta do is cut the chain cam locks in half and weld 'em onto the "A" frame. Can't get the chains vertical with the bolt on set up as the "A" frame cross member is in the way.

Another question though - how much force is required to get the cam locks "over centre" and locked and how low is "too low" for the trunnion bars - those long thingys with the chains on?

Bilbo
AnswerID: 107321

Reply By: pjchris - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:01

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 11:01
Sometimes you need a LOT of force..... What I do is I lower the coupling on to the baal untill I can lock it on. Then I attach the trunnion bar on the side away from the dolly wheel and hook it up.
Then lower and remove the dolly wheel and set up the second trunnion bar.

This makes it much easier.

As far as how low is too low...They sit where they sit....On mine I have to drop four links in the chain so they aren't too low but I always worry about banging them on the ground when leaving driveways etc. Mine are about 6 inches off the ground when set, I think, and I don't think I've scraped them yet as there are no marks on the ends of the u-bolts that secure the chains to the trunnion bars.

Peter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 107358

Sponsored Links