Dual Battery Recomendations for 100 Series

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 14:42
ThreadID: 22195 Views:3190 Replies:6 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
There seems to be a heap of different brands out there so I'm not sure where to start looking & who has the best available units....

It's for weekend warrior use only & the occasional extended trip with the family.
At the moment I've got a Engel fridge which is the primary reason for the system - I do not have a bullbar so hence no other accessories such as winch/driving lights etc....but who knows what I'll put on in the future...

Anything else I should be looking at or considering when getting a Dual Battery System installed?

Can anyone recommend what I should be looking at (Pirahna? ARB? LJM?..)

Oh yeah, it's to go in a 2004 Petrol 100 Series Cruiser

Thanks in advance,
Greg

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 15:48

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 15:48
The options on a 2nd Battery are fairly extensive, however I have a 80amp Delcor battery which I am satisfied with its performance.
As for the electrical side of things, I have a 200amp Redarc battery isolater system which works very well.
Both are about 2 years old. I run my fridge, inverter and a couple of fluro's from them.
I'm sure you will get a variety of opinions but you need to weigh them up against each other and go for what suits you.
AnswerID: 107397

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:49

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:49
I have a full system setup in my 100series and run lights,2 gps,winch, engle freezer, waeco fridge, computrs you name it and have a dual battery setup.

But quite franky for what you have indicated your requirements are I wouldnt go to that expense

I would run an engle or waeco or one of the other brand name portable power pack.

At a later stage if you add more gear etc then look at a dual battery setup
AnswerID: 107404

Reply By: Member - Willie , Epping .Syd. - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:50

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 16:50
Greg ,
I have a 100 TD and I got ARB to put in a high amp hour accessories battery . The system has worked well .
Cheers ,
Willie .
AnswerID: 107405

Reply By: Paul from Ozroamer Camper Trailers (Hire & Sales) - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:45

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 18:45
Hi Greg

I have the same 2004 L/C as you and agree that either of the main brands are Ok. I have the Opp Lock system and have been bery happy. Either this Piran or ARB are all good units.

The extra little bits also help!!

Extra outleys in the rear (the Din? ones - not just normal Cig lighter femals), wires run into the caboin for future use for lights, Compressor switch, fluro light in the rear etc. Also whilst they are running the wires get them to run a fridge temp meter (Engle) from the cabin to the rear - these are a great unit that means you only have to glance at the temp read out to be assured that the beer is OK.

You will find that whilst they are installing the Battery system is costs bugger all extra to have these little comforts completed at the same time.
AnswerID: 107423

Reply By: drivesafe - Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 19:22

Tuesday, Apr 19, 2005 at 19:22
Hi Gregster, a winch and driving lights should be run off the existing cranking battery and and auxiliary battery should be for the low current devices like your fridge and lighting and so.
The installation of a second battery, if it’s going to be installed under the bonnet, is a pretty straight forward job and you could probably do it yourself and save a few dollars.
As you have posted, you are going to be doing the weekend worrier bit, so you will most likely not need more that a standard backup battery set up and as suggested above, a power socket in the rear for your fridge.
If you snoop around on the net you can get an idea of the different types of dual battery controllers and how they work so don't rush into it.
One thing though, if you think that in the not to distant future you are going to get a camper van or caravan, go the whole hog now and get some heavy cable run through the 4by and save a lot of time later.
By the way where are you located.
Cheers
AnswerID: 107428

Follow Up By: Gregster - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 16:46

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 16:46
Thanks for the followup!

Yes, I think a campervan / camper trailer is definately on the cards for the future so I'll ensure HD Cable is used throughout!
Im in SE Suburbs of Melb.
I might check out the Caravan & Camping Show at Caulfield in a fortnight too before I make a desision as from memory they do have some 4WD displays etc...

Thanks Again,
Greg

FollowupID: 364589

Reply By: Ozman - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 19:23

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 19:23
Last month added the ARB kit from ARB City Southern.

Works a treat! Just got back from 2 week trip -- No probs at all (so far).

They did the install. Very good job. Used High Quality cable all through, and a very impressive tidy job under the bonnet with conduit all over for exra protection.

Dave

AnswerID: 107580

Sponsored Links