Birdsville..Anzac weekend..Track info

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 09:45
ThreadID: 22219 Views:2262 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all fellow 'wheelers..A group of us ex-regular Army..ex-skydivers are meeting up at Birdsville this Anzac weekend..As I am going down from Emerald,I was wondering if the dirt road short cut from Blackall south-west to Windorah is ok for my Mitsubishi little 1-ton flat-top (new) or should I take my Jeep Cherokee t/diesel (has been to all 4 corners of Aust) with the bigger rubber..Will be showing my pix and 8mm films taken during my 6yrs.Looking frd to meeting Sully again who goes there each year and out into the deserts.(He threw me out on my first jumpAnd I still call him a mate?)
Some of my pix at http://public.fotki.com/RockyOne/
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - David 0- Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 17:23

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 17:23
In the dry your ute will be fine.

Say hello to Sully for me and Justine, we'd love to catch up with him again sometime.

David O
AnswerID: 107563

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 17:36

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 17:36
Hey David and Justine - Sully turned up the night before last with Smokey the dog. In his usual place but with the new camper trailer he made in the summer. Flag is flying higher than usual. Had usual campfire last night and I cooked them all corned beef with white sauce and all the vegs. People passing thought we were mad - the fire never actually got lit!!! Typical Sully camp - luckily for me I cooked the meal inside on the stove otherwise we'd still be waiting for it to cook.
Tonight on the campfire at Sully's they are having Diamantina Barra.
Sully is really well and sends his very best wishes to you both - and a sloppy kiss from Smokey the dog (with two cauliflower ears - one of which is sore because he had a dog fight two minutes after arriving in the camp!)
FollowupID: 364439

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 07:46

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 07:46
Thanks David 0,Hey funny how we make a big deal of things sometimes..'least I do..After I posted above mssg,I recalled when I used to drive my stock std beetle from Chinchiilla to the wool-sheds out from Cunnamulla/Charleville..All dirt roads out there then.Washouts/Corrogations.Had to sit on 100km to even get there.Stock standard street tyres..How many flats did I ever get..Nil Yep! Not one flat but I got a few rocks thru the 'screen though.Thks again David.Will print this out and show it to Sully.We often send goods (Ex Buffalo Bolt Co..Emerald) to Yaraka..The end of the line I believe,so looks like I get to see it..Got to see Cheepie,suburb of Quilpie.Never got to see Quilpie.
FollowupID: 364534

Follow Up By: Member - David 0- Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 07:47

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 07:47
Ruth,

Thanks so much for the update. Great to hear Sully and Smokey have their usual spot. Just wish we could be there around even a non existent fire.

Please let Sully know I am off to ADF Pilot Selection Board on April 30, so I may yet become the Army's oldest chopper pilot :-). Any clues he has for passing Officer Selection Board would be welcome :-)

Justine says Hi, and wishes we could be out there again.

Love to all
David and Justine
FollowupID: 364649

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 13:42

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 13:42
Will let him know when he gets back - young bloke came in yesterday with the longest most souped up F250 ever seen - yellow with no canopy and no roof - so they've taken him to play on Big Red.
Lofty from Cardwell and Rusty from Victoria (the two brothers in panel vans) arrived for Anzac Day and are practising drinking tinnies from breakfast time on.
FollowupID: 364688

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 18:02

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 18:02
RockyOne - looking forward to welcoming you to Birdsville for Anzac Services - I am holed up in my office at the moment instead of having drinkies at Sully's camp - doing my Anzac Day organising. How many of you are coming, do you have a projector, Sully arrived two nights ago - in fine form.
On Anzac Day:
6:00 a.m. Milky drink to ward off chill.
6:30 a.m. Dawn Service at Memorial Park - Rev. John Case, Frontier Services, Charleville
7:00 a.m. Welcoming Breakfast at the Birdsville Hall
9:30 a.m. Assemble outside Birdsville Hotel
9:50 a.m. Commence march to Memorial Park
10:00 a.m. Service Commences with Introductory Address
Prayers
Prayer of Remembrance - Birdsville State School
Poem - Joyleen Booth
Wreath Laying (please bring one if you would care to)
The Ode - Ron O'Sullivan
Last Post
Two Minutes Silence
Rouse
National Anthem
Benediction
Invitation to Morning Tea
Disperse
10:30 a.m. Morning Tea with townspeople and all visitors in the Birdsville Hall
Special Licence has been granted to Local Ambulance Branch to
run Bar at the Hall. The children from the School will be reciting their
poems and displaying their Anzac artwork.
Vets, ex-soldiers are welcome to stay at the Hall and Lunch will be provided - films can be watched and games played.
You can contact me on (07) 46563214 Ruth Doyle if you have any queries.
Look forward to seeing you.
AnswerID: 107572

Follow Up By: Member - RockyOne - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:01

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 08:01
Hi Ruth !..(oops,I posted David's mssg in your real-estate..) Will be tops to meet you lot..Projector.Nope (Next years budget) However,I will bring a DVD and LCD screen (pix come up on it a lot better than a CRT TV ) Looking frd to getting lots of pix on the way out there and there..Wow! You went to a lot of trouble on above posting..I plan to leave Emerald (Tell Sully pls) 5am Fri and take it from there.If I have too many pix stops,mite not get there till Sat.Will have my swag and kit..Save me a tent spot please..Rite,gotta go home and pack up..Will bring some CDs DVDs I made (make you guys suffer) See you real soon. Regards Lofty Harris (RockyOne) (I made it 1,442ks long way.Should be a lot shorter via Blackall/Windorah.)
FollowupID: 364538

Sponsored Links