Blue smoke

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 18:15
ThreadID: 22231 Views:5825 Replies:5 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have just bought a Pajero, 92/ v6-3ltr, it has done 154000k's and we have just been on a trip, 3670 k's covered. The Pajero is now blowing a little blue smoke on start up and it wasn't 10 weeks ago when we bought it, can any one shed some light on this ?, have I bought a lemon ?, or are there some inherant problems with Pajero's.......Thanks for your time, Peter.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ants - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 19:41

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 19:41
A puff of blue smoke on startup tends to indicate some valve stem seal leakage...

A little oil (that settles in the heads on shutdown) seeps down the valve stem seals and on startup - boom, combusts giving you a small puff of blue smoke.

I'm not familiar with Pajero engines generally, so don't know whether valve stem seals are a troublesome item on them or not sorry.

Usually though, oil consumption from this problem is minimal and it doesn't greatly affect the reliability or general longevity of the engine.

Hope the info helps.

Cheers,

Ants
AnswerID: 107584

Follow Up By: Pete64 - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 21:56

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 21:56
Thanks Ants, the car has used a little oil, about a ltr in fact, thanks again mate.
FollowupID: 364490

Reply By: 80scruiser - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 22:09

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 22:09
Common on the 3litres in both pajero and magna.
AnswerID: 107604

Reply By: paj - Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 22:58

Wednesday, Apr 20, 2005 at 22:58
Good Luck Peter,

We have a 91 Pajero NG V6 3ltr. It has done 345,000 km and are on our 4th engine :(

Engine #1 worn out at about 200,000 km which I have been told is about a median life for one in a Paj. Started just as you described and gradually got worse over the next 10,000 km until we were laying a smoke screen at idle.

Engine #2, Reconditioned replacement, $3,500 installed, lasted just 2 years before smoking , then blowing a head gasket and the radiator while on our way back from a trip to the riverland.

Engine #3, Second hand, installed by a major car dealership (not mitsi) in a small Barossa town where the vehicle was stuck (no change from $4,000). Lasted only 1,000 km before the smoke started. (also blew a spark plug out 5km after pickup - some dope left a compression tester adapter in the head and screwed the sparkplug into it!)

Engine #4, Second hand Mk2 installed free of charge (after some robust argument) has now done 40,000km and seems to be going strong.

154,000 km seems a little young to be crook, but your symptoms sound like worn valve guides and could have been hidden by engine honey or the like. If it is the guides, as they go you will gradually get smoke after idleing at traffic lights or after down hill runs with the accelerator backed off (the higher vacuum pulls oil down the guides from the rocker covers).

Hope you have a better time than we did. Having said that we still like it and it has taken us to some great places.

Cheers

Paj
AnswerID: 107616

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:10

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 16:10
So this is what the advertising is about now, space age engineering and all the other waffle about space,,,, its no wonder the yanks have lost a few apollos'.... Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 364707

Reply By: allaussie - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 21:21

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 21:21
your paj has 257plus on the clock so far it has cost me $1400 to have a camshaft dowel replaced got ripped off the the so called engine repairer the F*^wit but it does not blow any blue smoke .but i am reledgions on the up keep of the paj oil coolant battery services and ete ete cheers chris
AnswerID: 107725

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:40

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 18:40
Have you changed the oil since you bought it? When was it last changed?
I'd be changing it now just for peice of mind.
Could be that they had some Whins Stop smoke or somthing in there and the nice long run has flushed it out... :-( Or they could have just had crap oil in there or not changed it for ages.

My mate bought a 91' 3.0LV6 Paj. It was leaking oil out of every conceavable seal. It had done 210k. He paid someone a couple of grand and got the top end rebuilt, been going good since. It's a nice car, it's just the 3.0L was a bit bleep weak (ie not very strong).
Personally I think he did the wrong thing as for $3k you can buy a brand new 3.0L V6 from Mitsubishi and get you local mechanic to fit it. Probally end up spending about 4-4.5k but it'll easy last you another 200k +++ if you look after it (change oil every 5k).
But in the mean time, change the oil, filters, coolant, etc etc etc. Put eveything in new so you know where youre at. Then look after it. If it starts leaking/blowing don't spend money on it, just fill it with stop leak/smoke and keep it going as long as you can, all the time saving pennies. Then go and get a brand newy and whack that in.
AnswerID: 107864

Sponsored Links