CRDI Terracan

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 19:44
ThreadID: 22267 Views:1969 Replies:7 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Just test driven a manual version. I have owned a manual Discovery TDI in the past. These new high pressure diesel's are very impressive.
Some comments please
1. The manual was very smooth to operate, didn't bog down even when starting off on a steep incline. Why would I get an auto?
2. What would be the advantages of the Highlander?,Seems to me that the AWD system on that model is only part time anyway and would only kick in on loose dirt. I could run the part time model in 4WD High in those conditions.
3.I did notice that corrugations made the back in skitish(although not as badly as my Discovery was). Would a suspension upgrade fix this?
4. I can buy a base model Pajero diesel for only 5 tp 6 grand more currently. Is it worth the extra money.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: wenabri - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:03

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:03
Hi bogong,
I have just ordered a crdi highlander auto should get it in about 4 weeks. I got an auto because my wife is going to use the vehicle as well and i thought that if we were in the scrub and i had an accident she would not have to worry about finding the what gear to put it in.
the other questions i can't answer yet.
I have been hearing from car sellers that it is a fairly under rated vehicle.
will let you know how it goes after i have had it while.
Brian S.
AnswerID: 107711

Reply By: Member - Duncan W (WA) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:07

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:07
Hi Bogong. Go to www.terracan.australia4wd.com

We Terracan owners have a Forum there where Diesel owners can give you their opinions and other issues.

Cheers Dunc.
Dunc
Make sure you give back more than you take

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 107712

Reply By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:18

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:18
New Overlander mag has a review of Terracan, Pajero, and Prado all in auto versions. Prado gets left waaaay behind..........a tossup between the other two, but Terracan wins on cost.

As for man/auto, really comes cdown to personal choice, but the man Terracan has 41:1 low first, beating both the other two AFAIK.
AnswerID: 107717

Reply By: Zapper - Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 23:53

Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 23:53
My other half brought home a demo auto the other night and we did a fair bit of driving in it. I must say I was most impressed to say the least, would leave my turbo patrol for dead on the road and ability to hold speed up big hills was very suprising from a 2.9l. Autos rule on the sand and to drive round the city they are great, for the bit extra i would go the auto. Highlander interior is a lot nicer than the others aside from the awd aspect. Go the Terracan
AnswerID: 107750

Reply By: Member - Davoe (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 02:37

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 02:37
you would easily make up the 5-6k on resale regardless of which vehicle is better as the korean builders still lag behind in that department
AnswerID: 107765

Reply By: bogong - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 17:00

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 17:00
Thanks for the replys. Good point Davoe. Auto probably would be more practicle, but $2 more.
AnswerID: 107846

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 17:49

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 17:49
Auto, Auto, Auto, Auto.
Sand, mud, gravel, city driving, corrugations, towing and less turbo lag. They excel in all these, they leave the old manual stick for dead. They also put less stress on the drivetrain and you and your passengers on bumpy/corrugated tracks as you don't get throttle bounce. Get that manual gearbox out of your mind! ;-)

I always thought Automatic 4wd's were a waste of time, AND DIESEL AUTOMATICS!!!??? WHAT THE HELL!?

I've now got an automatic turbo diesel 4wd and will NEVER go back!

As far as reliability goes, these electronic autos are very strong, look at what all the city buses, garbage trucks, even new trucks are using, AUTO. Alot of competition 4wds are AUTO.

Ok, I'm going to go and shut up now, but you get my point I'm sure.
AnswerID: 107851

Sponsored Links