Road info

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 20:24
ThreadID: 22269 Views:1592 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all you happy campers.Still planning my trip north in July.Info please on road conditions between Widorah and Birdsville.I am towing a 16 ft pop top with a pathfinder.I will have to take xtra fuel but if the road is ok it will save me going via Winton/Boulia.Bazza
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 07:55

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 07:55
OK - here are a few pointers. Lower your tyre pressure slighly once onto the dirt, to allow some bellow in the tyres over the rocky sections. Make sure you have two spare tyres for the vehicle and two spares for the caravan. Cover the back windscreen with cardboard and duct tape, because the stones kick up, hit the front of your van and then get thrown onto the back windscreen and smash, then you drive for thousands of miles with plastic!! The 300 klms of dirt in good condition - it is extremely dry which means that it is difficult to grade - but has just been graded and provided not too many cattle trucks are on there it should be o.k. Having said that, always drive according to the conditions of the road, at the time.
Last fuel at Windorah - good idea to stay the night there so that you are tackling the dirt section in the a.m. when you are fresher and the sun is not in your eyes.
Some very lovely, very red small dunes just as you come out of Windorah - they are a deeper red than the Big Red - make wonderful photos in the early morning light. ALso some nice changes of country - stop off and have a cuppa at Deon's Lookout, just as you come over the grid from Barcoo Shire to Diamantina Shire on the jump-up. Have a safe trip and see you when you get here. Might be a good idea to contact me closer to the time you leave for an update on the road - contact should be under the photo.
AnswerID: 107772

Reply By: Member - Barrie- Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 13:17

Saturday, Apr 23, 2005 at 13:17
Thanks Ruth Will contact you closer to the date of arrival. Bazza
AnswerID: 107943

Sponsored Links