Jeep electrics

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 21, 2005 at 23:17
ThreadID: 22273 Views:1426 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I have a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Larado - started this morning to go to work - put window half down and lost power to windows, auto door lock and instrument panel. No movement in any instruments on dash and clock put on two hours??. R.A.A. and auto electricians stumped.. one suggested computer behind drivers door panel for auto windows etc. but why the instrument panel. Any night owls have a clue on where to kick to get things going. I am in Adelaide.. Kermit

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: geocacher (djcache) - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 00:50

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 00:50
Have heard some interesting stories about Jeep electrics.

Disconnect the battery for half an hour or so (5mins may be enough to discharge any caps but why rush) and power it back up again and see if the computer resets itself.

No promises but it might work. Seen stranger things happen.

Dave
AnswerID: 107756

Follow Up By: Kermit - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:52

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:52
Thanks Dave, I reckon your solution would have worked. I rang Jeep Dealer to book in and would have had to wait a week but they told me on the phone to go the power centre under the bonnet and pull the "red" fuse for a couple of seconds and put it back...bingo.. obviously this was a re-set as you suggested. Thanks for your effort. I agree with the bad day fishing. We have formed the N.F.F. club (work it out), where catching a fish is a distraction from the esky.

Regards

Dennis
FollowupID: 364686

Reply By: jon p qld - Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 22:09

Friday, Apr 22, 2005 at 22:09
Kermit your problem is a common one on ZG model grand cherokee's. its caused by the drivers door lock wearing and putting an intermitent spike over the BUS communication system within the vehicle. The solution is a jumper wire fitted into the door wiring harness. this is a Chrysler fix, your local Jeep dealer should know all about it.
AnswerID: 107896

Sponsored Links