water and touring

Submitted: Sunday, May 13, 2001 at 00:00
ThreadID: 223 Views:1698 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Our family of four are heading off for 6 months in July, up the centre and down the West coast. We have a standard 80 series diesel cruiser, and have decided not to tow anything. We can carry two 20 litre jerries of water. Is this enough for, eg, the Kimberleys, GurigNP, etc? Has anyone done similar adventures with the same set up?
We have a 3/4 roof rack and I built a unit for the rear, with slides, etc.Also, what about tyres..do you need two spares..coz if so I need to build a rear carrier..any ideas would be appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Brian - Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00

Monday, May 14, 2001 at 00:00
Two spare tyres/wheels should be considered essential if going into the Kimberley or any other serious 4WD area. Ive seen vehicles experience multiple punctures at the same time and fixing them on the side of the track is not fun. Water depends on how remote youre going. I would consider 40 litres for 4 people enough for 3 days maximum. If you get into serious problems - tyre repairs, bogged etc, your consumption will go through the roof. Children often consume more than adults.
AnswerID: 460

Reply By: wendy - Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00

Thursday, May 17, 2001 at 00:00
You must have two spare wheels/tyres for Kimberley.On Gibb/Kalumburu roads several stations do tyre repairs but you may need 2 to get to next workshop! Plenty of streams to refill water in that area. Up to Sept-ish should be regular passing traffic to help if you break down between water sources on main Kimberley tracks.If you are heading into arid, remote areas of WA you may need more.
AnswerID: 490

Sponsored Links