Victorian High Country Trip

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 10:25
ThreadID: 22321 Views:2057 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from the VHC and a lot has happened in the last 4 weeks since I was there last.

Craigs Hut has more work done around the car park area. A notice board has been put up and the plains displayed for the future. The biggest change will be access by 2wd vehicles. Now before you all go off, just remember it is a movie set, a well known one but it is not a real high country hut. To get to them, the real cattle mans huts, you will still need 4WD.

The weather was perfect, 7 days of blue skies, warm days, cool to cold nights. -4 at Howitts hut on Tuesday morning. The tents were all frozen and there was a good frost. Going down the Zega track the low cloud looked great in the valley below.

Lovicks hut has started to be rebuilt with the foundations being placed in position. At this stage I don't know when it will be finished.

There must have been a big wind around the area as there are a lot of new trees across the track, most have been cleared but not fully removed. I guess Vic Parks will be busy soon removing the trees.

The car park at the Pinnacles has new picnic tables and BBQ, and Billy Goat Bluff track is starting to get interesting again.

South Basalt Knob track out of Talboltville is getting very hard with a lot of powder dirt and steep climbs. Only made it to the second conservation mound when the front of the Troopie lifted both front wheels off the ground, the back wheel fell in a hole and all forward motion stopped, except for my elevated heart rate.
No way was I going to get up that hill with out diff locks but then I would have the 9 vehicles behind me not following, so a gracious retreat and the Brewery Track was the way to Mt Blue Rag.

On Thursday we were in Dargo for a Pub meal and were on our way out and just as we were about to start the climb back to Grant we were stopped by two ladies on horse back. They told us that there was 450 head of cattle coming down the road and if we will stop and let them pass. The cattle belonged to Jim Treasure and they were on there way down from the high country to the valley for the winter. Seven women and two men were herding the cattle and it was a great sight too see. One of the men gave us a whip cracking display as he rode past. Everyone on the trip thought that I had arranged it, just like the weather, but it was more good luck than good management.

That was the last trip down there until November, so now it is time to take the UHF aerial off the bull bar and put it on the roof rack for the Desert trips.

Wayne
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 14:28

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 14:28
RIP
the high country.

The end has started.
AnswerID: 108002

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 14:30

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 14:30
PS wait for McDonalds to build a branch at each hut on the soon to be 4 lane tarred freeway between huts.
FollowupID: 364844

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:38

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:38
I have just informed myself Im selfish for thinking this again.
FollowupID: 364850

Reply By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 19:11

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 19:11
Gee, Wayne, wish I'd be on that trip - I love it down there. Hot,dry and dusty here. Getting ready for Anzac Day tomorrow and The Great Cattle Drive at the end of the week. See you in the winter.
AnswerID: 108021

Follow Up By: raazorj - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:40

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:40
Hey Ruth how are you ,my mates son Jason who recently left Birdsville
rekons his meat pies were second to none is there any truth to this,and Ruth you will never regret a trip through the high country some of the most beautiful country i have seen don't forget your jumper.

Ray.
FollowupID: 364928

Follow Up By: Ruth from Birdsville Caravan Park - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 18:15

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 18:15
Evert time I've been in the High Country (usually the first week of January) the days have been gloriously hot - around 40 - and the flies usually as good as the Birdsville ones.
Do you mean Jason the baker who recently left Birdsville - or the pies from the new Bakery? Either way - both very good!!
FollowupID: 365060

Reply By: Prado01 - Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 23:44

Saturday, May 21, 2005 at 23:44
G'day Wayne,

Some Friends and I are looking at doing a trip down to the High Courty around Novemeber 05. I was wondering whether you did any of the treks around Craig Hut. i.e We are looking at doing Mansfield to Mitchells Flat, Whitfield to Myrtleford Via the staircase and Lake Cobbler, Licola to Howitt Plain, Howitt Plain to Wonnangatta Valley. We are dragging off road trailers, 2 kids under 2 in and behind a 96 Pajero and a 01 Prado. Just wondering whether you could gives us any ideas as to whether these tracks would be suitable. All help and advice appreicated.

Cheers

Andrew
AnswerID: 112259

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 17:12

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 17:12
It will totally depend on the weather between now and then as to what condition the tracks are in..
sometimes they dont open "ontime" either, EG meaning they keep some tracks closed for extra time periods to let the tracks clear/repairs etc..

You will have issues with some tracks and trailers.
FollowupID: 368597

Follow Up By: Wayne (NSW) - Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 23:12

Sunday, May 22, 2005 at 23:12
Andrew,

Some of the tracks that you want to go on I have not been, but the Zega track from Howitts hut to the Wonnangatta valley is not suitable for trailers because of the tight turns going down into the valley. There are other ways into the valley but I have not been on them.

Getting up to Craigs hut should not be a problem but the staircase might have the vehicles scraping a bit with the weight of the campers. There is also another tight bend getting to the Staircase.

Sorry I can not be more help but we don't campers on that trip and we go a different way that is more satiable for vehicles with out trailers.

Wayne
FollowupID: 368638

Sponsored Links