GU Patrol Turbo Upgrade

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 16:02
ThreadID: 22328 Views:4380 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, Just thought I'd let anyone who was interested to know that the MTQ turbo upgrade done on my vehicle friday has so far made a huge difference to the overheating situation I have been experiencing since I bought the vehicle. ( 2001 Gu patrol 4.2 t ) I have only done 500 towing kilometers since Friday but initial impression is temp down 10 - 15 C on previous before mods. This was a stage 2 upgrade, but I already had 3" mandrell bent exhaust, the power increase was noticeable but not earth bleep tering. Now fuel delivery is exceptionally smooth right through the rev range. So far very impressed, towed 2 tonne van through some fairly hilly country around Esk Kingaroy Nanango with outside temp about 25C (not real hot) and nissan gauge did not move once but aftermarket gauge varied beteen 80 - 100 c. As i said 10 -15 C down on what happened previous. Anyone wanting more info on this can message me here or my e-mail TRJC@bigpond.com , but I already feel this is the best money i've spent on this vehicle and i've spent plenty trust me. PS I don't have any affiliation with MTQ, am just a private individual trying to cure overheating problem in my vehicle and pass on my findings.
Cheers to all interested. Will post 5000k report in a couple of weeks when I get back from my next jaunt.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 23:49

Sunday, Apr 24, 2005 at 23:49
Evening Trev.

Sounds like you might have found Nissan's 'holy grail'

Good luck with it and I'm looking forward to how it is going after 5000kms.
AnswerID: 108045

Follow Up By: trendy - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:19

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:19
yeh but I don't know why nissan haven't tried this themselves. Only time will tell. Cheers.
FollowupID: 364904

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:36

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:36
G'day Ken and Trevor,
Great news there Trevor....!!!! I hope it continues to work well for you. My curiosity is running overtime and I have some questions to ask of you if you don't mind....... Firstly though, I have just been on a weekend trip, having just fitted 2 of the 3 gauges I wanted to. The Boost gauge shows a maximum turbo boost pressure of just under 12psi. The coolant gauge sender has been mounted in the top radiator hose using a stainless steel sleeve I have made up. When the Nissan standard gauge gets to it's "normal" postion (which is just lower than straight up), the VDO gauge showed around 80degrees. However, as I pushed on a bit harder and up some hills, the VDO gauge got up to around 110 degrees and the bloody Nissan gauge was still at the same position. It wasn't until the VDO gauge got to just slightly above the 110 mark (and it only goes up to 120 anyway) that the Nissan gauge started to move up to the half way mark.

So Trevor,
1)...I'd be interested to know what your aftermarket gauge was getting up to before the MTQ work was done?
2)...Where is your aftermarket sender unit located?
3)...Are you using a "normal" glycol-based coolant (eg: Tectalloy or similar) or have you gone to this Water Wetter stuff that I am trying to get hold of?
4)...Have you changed your bottom radiator hose to one of these reinforced ones? I've ordered one which hopefully will be at Repco tomorrow morning.....hopefully the Nissan dealer will also have my bloody simple thermostat gasket too, so that I can change that as well.

Thanks mate....

Roachie
FollowupID: 364970

Reply By: trendy - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:22

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:22
Roachie, Hope you had a good weekend.
Answers to your questions
1) in my vehicle the vdo gauge also moves to 108 before the nissan gauge decides to move. The vdo gauge on mine has been to 118 many times but I won't let it past here as the a/c has cut out by this stage and I don't want to do any damage to the motor. Funnily enough Nissan Melb believe this to be in their "normal" operating temps but ask radiator mobs and they will tell you a different story.
2) VDO sender unit is beside the nissan sender unit on the side of the thermostat housing.
3) I'm running a glycol based product called Primax from local radiator shop up in brisbane
4) I have the replacement hose you talk about but have not been able to find a coil to put in it so I have not replaced this yet.
I hope this answers your questions, but I got to tell you I'm excited at the results of the upgrade so far. Just wandering why Nissan hasn't done this themselves (hopefully no side effects), the next post should tell a lot as I will be seriously loaded in the vehicle and also pulling 1.5 + tonnes on my 5000 k trip leaving start of may. Will talk when I get back. Good luck with yours in the meantime.
Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 108204

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:28

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:28
Thanks for the answers Trevor,
Hope you have a great trip and look forward to hearing all the gos when you return.......have a safe one.
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 365035

Sponsored Links