GU PATROL 5TH GEAR PROBLEMS 4.2MANUA

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 09:54
ThreadID: 22342 Views:9911 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I AM SEEKING INFORMATION FROM OTHER PEOPLE WHO MAY HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THERE 5TH GEAR MAINSHAFT OR WHO HAVE STRIPPED THIS GEAR ON THERE GU PATROL I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT IF THIS IS AN ENDEMIC PROBLEM WITH NISSAN 4.2GU MANUAL PATROLS AND IF SO DO NISSAN KNOW
ABOUT IT AND IF SO WHAT ARE THEY DOING RE THIS PROBLEM
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Max - Sydney - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:14

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:14
Hi Nedgo

Stripped 5th (=overdrive) gears are usually a result of using the gear when towing or carrying heavy weights. Its not brand specific, and it applies to manual and auto - all the manufacturers warn you not to use that gear if you have a camper or caravan behind.

Its a nuisance on the open road with the engine revs higher but the heavy load heats up the box and gear teeth anough to cook them. Also you seem to get better fuel economy in 4th when heavily loaded.

I've not read of or seen anyone with any Patrol specific problems though. Do you tow?

Max
AnswerID: 108070

Follow Up By: NEDGO - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:24

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 10:24
To Max there are specfic problems endemic to the Nissan Patrol and Nissan are aware of the issues but have chossen not to do a product recall apparently the manufacture was aware of a poorly cast /manufactured 5th gear spline for vehicles made between 1999-2001.
FollowupID: 364892

Follow Up By: desray - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:36

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:36
Some of the 5th gear sets were machined wrong to small/big on the Patrol gearboxes.Nissan knows about this but dont know which boxes the faulty gears were fitted to ,,so no recall.Nissan just wait for your gearbox to go bang before fixing.Hope this helps
FollowupID: 364895

Reply By: desray - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:21

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:21
Also have a look at .yahoo.com/group/Nissan_GU_Patrol
AnswerID: 108079

Reply By: trendy - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:35

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 12:35
Nedgo, There is a common problem not only with nissan but other makes as well when overloading 5th gear. Nissan is aware, and so far I believe have fixed under warranty, a heap of vehicles with stripped 5th gears and splines even if they are outside the 3 yrs 100 thou warranty. Just talk to your local dealer or ring Melbourne direct to get straight answers, my uncle has just been through this last week. I do stacks of real heavy towing and have got more than 200 k on mine now but I don't use 5th gear at all. My 100 series cruiser, before my td42 patrol, went through 3 sets of gears before toyota and me decided not to use 5th gear at all. Their stance was if you are going fast enough use 5th gear, but this was obviously incorrect as I only ever put it in 5th at more than 100 kph but still stuffed 3 boxes in 18 months. Hence my Patrol now, hope this helps.
Regards Trevor.
AnswerID: 108080

Reply By: Kumunara (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 00:50

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 00:50
Nedgo

This problem has been dealt with on the forum before.

2000 and 2001 patrols gear boxes were manufactured with a spline that was too short and the fifth gear fails. The problem is for 3.0 4.2 and 4.8 patrols.

If it goes you contact Nissan Customer Service in Melbourne. They can tell from the VIN if the Nissan was manufactured with the faulty spline. If it was they send a fax to a Nissan Service Centre. You take the vehicle to the service centre and they fix the problem without charge.

The problem has nothing to do with towing, etc. It is a manufacturing fault and Nissan cover it even if the vehicle is out of warranty.

I am in the Kimberleys on Long Service Leave at the moment. Mine went travelling from Fitzroy Crossing to Derby. I took my vehicle in to the Nissan Dealer at Broome on Monday and had it back repaired on Friday.

Life's great and it just keeps getting better

My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 108178

Follow Up By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:17

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:17
And that's they way it should be.

You are exactly right, at my local dealer teh mechanic will book you in and do all the chasing for you.

I have heard of some who won't help if you meet one of them go direct to Nissan as Kumanara says.
FollowupID: 365016

Reply By: Notso - Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:17

Tuesday, May 24, 2005 at 18:17
A quick way to check is to have a look at your gearbox oil. If there is a problem the oil will be dirty and rusty in appearance. Mine was rebuilt in Perth and then they checked it out again in Canberra and found the oil dirty and rusty looking.

Accused me of not yaking care of the veh till I explained that it had been rebuilt in Perth. Anyhow they found out that the Old spec parts had been put in over in Perth so had to rebuild it again.

Nissan Aus reckons it is OK to tow in 5th but RAC says no. They reckon the only Veh suitable for 5th gear towing is the Disco, or perhaps Mercedes not enough of them around to say and they probably wouldn't tow with em anyhow?
AnswerID: 112630

Sponsored Links