Upcoming Simpson Crossing

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 15:17
ThreadID: 22347 Views:2039 Replies:4 FollowUps:7
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I am going to cross the Simpson Desert via the French Line in June of this year. I will be driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee (2000 Model), on the highway I usually use about 16 - 17 Litres per 100 Klms. I have a 75 Ltr main tank and a 65 Ltr aux tank. I reckon I will need a futrther 40 Ltrs if my calculations are correct. If anyone can guide me in this regard it would be appreciated. I plan to use a flag during the crossing but am unsure as to which side of the bullbar to attach the damn thing, again any and all assitance would be appreciated.

Padre
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Kalahari - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 16:56

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 16:56
Hi Padre
Does the name run in paralel with the job? If so you should breeze over the Simpson with plenty of everything to spare..... you know, fishes and loaves.... just kidding !

I am probably not a huge help but when it comes to fuel, the general concencus seems to be that you will use up to double your highway usage, depending on the road conditions at the time of crossing and of course, the weight of your foot. Deep soft sand and you can expect to use quite a lot. You have probably already done so but if not, have a look at the 'trip planning / fuel consumption' links at the top of the page.

Re the flag; any side of the bar that does not restrict forward vision. Just make sure it is damned high. An old surf rod might make a good flag pole. No good having a flag if no-one can see it until you crest a dune.

By the way, we also have a small party of two, maybe three vehicles, ex Adelaide, crossing in early June - 7th, 8th & 9th ??? when are you expecting to make the journey?

Kalahari
AnswerID: 108095

Follow Up By: Padre - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:24

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:24
Hi Kalahari,

Firstly the name and occupation are as far away from each other as they could be, a couple of the guys in the group are ex military, if anyone in the Army had personal problems a Sgt or Corporal would say "Sounds like a personal problem to me soldier......"Go see the Padre". During the planning of the trip my offsider would get asked all sorts of questions, he just said "Ask George". I had so many questions fired at me one night I said "Do you lot think I'm a Padre" The name has stuck.

Our trip starts on June 11th at the Finke Desert Race for 3 days then onto Chambers Pillar, off then to Lamberts Centre, Dalhousie via Mt Dare, Birdsville, Innaminka, Lyndhurst, Maree, up the Oodnadatta Track then back to Alice. 2 vehicles in the group a Jeep and a 60 series wagon with a turbo diesel, the 60 series will be pulling a small trailer.

If you get the chance and our paths cross I would love to catch up and buy you a Rum............We will probably have a bit with us.

Keep Smilin
Padre
FollowupID: 364981

Follow Up By: Kalahari - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:43

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:43
Padre

Unless someone becomes 'temporarily unsure of their exact location' in a big way, it would seem that our paths will not cross, at least on this Simpson crossing. We should be pulling into Marree on the 11th or 12th to have a look at the end of the Outback Cattle Drive and then on home to Adelaide.
Your itinerary looks good and I am envious. Hi to others on the trip and drive safe.

Kalahari
FollowupID: 365007

Follow Up By: Padre - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:20

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:20
What a pity we won't cross paths, still you never know, I hope we come across the Cattle Drive we might be looking for some fresh tender steak about then. Enjoy your trip Kalahari.

Keep Smilin
Padre
FollowupID: 365026

Reply By: willys - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 17:35

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 17:35
Padre
We crossed in 03 with a number of Jeeps one of which was set up similar to yours, from memory he didn't have to use the jerrys but it rained just before we crossed so the sand was firm.I would think your calculations are correct. If you live in QLD contact Peter Foot at Westside 4x4 at Sumner Park.Have a great trip wish I was with you.
Peter
AnswerID: 108097

Follow Up By: Padre - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:30

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:30
Hi Willy,

Thanks for the input to the trip, I should have registered here months ago when i first started planning for the trip, My preperations would be finished now. I think I will work on taking 200 Ltrs on board when I leave Mt Dare ( If the bank manager will give me a second Mortgage on the house so I can buy the pertol). Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Keep Smilin
Padre
FollowupID: 364983

Reply By: snailbate - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:59

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 18:59
hi
it does matter if you have petrol or deisel
my defender TD5 used 88 ltr for The trip SOME taga a longs a asking for 300 ltr to be carried so it matters if it one or the otherer
Life MEMBER snailbait Oberon HF RADIO CLUB VKE237 mobile 7661

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 108108

Follow Up By: Padre - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:42

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:42
Hi Snailbait,

Thanks for the input, I think I have a handle on things now. I really do appreciate that there are people out there who will take the time to pass on items of information that will make other people's travelling as easy as possible.

Keep smilin
Padre
FollowupID: 364987

Follow Up By: Groove - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:49

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 08:49
I understand the thinking behind the tag-a-longs is to allow enough fuel to get almost across and then have enough to go back the way you came if for some reason the track becomes impassible
FollowupID: 365010

Reply By: prado-wolf - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:30

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:30
Padre,

did the east west crossing via french line last year in a Prado V6 Petrol and used just under 130L between Birdsville and Mt. Dare with aircon running 50% of the time.

This year we will use the Rig Road and my calculation is for about 170-180 L.

have fun.

AnswerID: 108207

Follow Up By: Padre - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:14

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:14
Thanks for the input Wolf, by the sounds of it everyone who does the crossing has fun. I am sure we will too, 5 men 3 weeks out in the bush and not a single woman around to scream out "Will you leave the toilet seat how you find it"..................Of course we'll have fun.
FollowupID: 365023

Sponsored Links