The Fellowship of Camping

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 20:59
ThreadID: 22362 Views:2430 Replies:7 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Isn't it wonderful the way we campers (or at least those I get away with) share anything that is needed.

A tent peg, a tarp, some juice, sugar flour or milk, a light, a spare tyre, fixing someone's carby, peeling the vegies, etc. Having a fine meal and no arguments over who has to clean what. It all just happens.

I feel so comfortable with the fine friends I camp with that I could turn up with the shirt on my back, and nothing else, and all would be well.

After another delightful long weekend away with great people that I have only met recently renews my faith in the human race. Thanks to Glenn and the Diamonds for a superb weekend.

Pity about the hangovers though.

Cheers,

Jim.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:05

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:05
The real pity is that the same spirit doesn't extend in many cases, to everyday living.
AnswerID: 108128

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:13

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:13
Unfortunately so.
FollowupID: 364951

Reply By: cokeaddict - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:22

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:22
Hey Jimbo,
After reading your post mate i was wondering if you yourself are an Auditor...lol

Cheers Ange
AnswerID: 108130

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:20

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:20
Ange,

I spend half my life punching up with auditors.

Cheers,

JIm.
FollowupID: 364963

Reply By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:24

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:24
Hi Jimbo,

sorry we missed it, but unfortunately I had my feet up recovering from some veinous therapy [I think that's what the Dr.called it, I call it OUCH] and well, Al was working in the shed, and I guess we should be happy, we kind of have a dual cab in the shed now....

won't miss the next one I hope

cheers

Lyn
AnswerID: 108132

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:17

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:17
Lyn,

We all missed you and the little bloke as well.

Look on the bright side, at least it wasn't Al who needed "veinous surgery".

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 364962

Follow Up By: Member - iMusty (VIC) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:47

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:47
Your LEGS !!

Everywhere I go on the internet it's 'Lyns legs this' and 'Lyns legs that' !!

ENOUGH WITH YOUR LEGS ALREADY !!

Lol

: )
FollowupID: 364989

Follow Up By: Al & Mrs Al (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:34

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:34
hmmm Musty....

you must surf through some interesting sites....

I didn't actually mention my legs....but since you have, they're doing very well.....thanks...hahahhahaha

Jimbo, I'm sure we'll enjoy many campfires and vinos together... :) and I'm sure the little bloke is pleased he didn't have veinous therapy as well...hahahhahah
FollowupID: 364998

Reply By: rickwagupatrol - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:28

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 21:28
gday jimbo,,,glad you enjoyed your weekend. we had a good one up at Wedge island over here in the land of the Great Sticker God.
it was only marred by one incident.
as we sat and watched the sun go down on Saturday night, i also watched a couple of young blokes as they went to the camp next to their's and helped themselves to some firewood. now their only real problem with what they were doing was that i had earlier watched the other people go for a walk up the sanddune, and that they were actually friends of ours. this left me with the ever so slight quandry of confronting four guys and politely asking them to return said firewood,,,well quandry solved in about a second as i sauntered over and politely requested,,( with a nice long wheelbrace in hand...:).) that they return the firewood.,,,,hmmmm,,,i think a 6'3" bloke with a wheelbrace in his hand must be a little bit intimidating,,coz they sure ran and got the firewood back to where it belonged real quick...lololol:)
for some reason,,,taking stuff from another man's camp just doesnt sit well with me.
other than that, it was a good weekend.

rick.
AnswerID: 108134

Follow Up By: Member - Jimbo (VIC) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:22

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:22
I love the way you handled it Rick.

Cheers,

Jim.
FollowupID: 364964

Reply By: muzzgit (WA) - Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:54

Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 22:54
Yes. We were up at wedge the last long weekend and found some to be worth keeping a watch out for, others were simply super freindly and helpfull. This is the way we have found most camping trips, long or short.

In 2003 we spent 4 weeks, perth - karijini NP - milstream NP - broome - 80 mile beach - exmouth - quoba - carnarvon - perth and had a blast. Met some awesome folk in all our stops, except roeburn (but what would you expect).

We missed coral bay, which was very dissapointing, but we had "little light on nissan dash sindrome" and had to spend a few days in port hedland and then carnarvon to get it sorted, so time did not allow for coral bay.

Appart from some religious barriers ( I have a goatee and like a beer ) stopping some from getting freindly, the stories swapped, ideas shared and interest in where others have been or are from, make traveling in oz a pleasure.

AnswerID: 108155

Reply By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:31

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 10:31
Gooday Jimbo,

Thankyou for such a great weekend too. The secret location that you had found on an earlier trip was a magnificent spot to camp. Lots of space, flat, shady when needed, nice fresh clean creek water.
The weekend just proved that many hands make light work. The teamwork that was displayed was something to be written about. It was easy to prepare meals on the camp fire, and then relax after stuffing ourselves. The task of washing up was almost a joy as it was so easy. The camp ovens were always spotless and beautifully oiled after each session, and certainly created a few spectacular roasts with pumpkin, potatoes, mixed veg, cauliflower, white sauce and TWO types of gravy....yummy.

I did notice notice that you had forgotten to mention a couple of names in your post and I cannot understand why. Was it caused by an issue at the football yesterday?

Cheers mate and I am looking forward to the next escape away.

AnswerID: 108216

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:42

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 13:42
Hey guys, sorry we didn't make your secret spot over the weekend. We didn't get away until after lunch on Saturday so managed a trip to the Otways and loved it. I hope you folks will come this way before too long as we are discovering our Western Victorian High Country has some great spots, some others boggy though.

Had a lovely meal too of roast pork with crackling, roast spuds, garlic and onions with tomatoes too in the Bedourie. Peas added and the apple sauce too to make it look and taste right. Pics with the rig pic too!
AnswerID: 108242

Follow Up By: Glenn (VIC) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:00

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:00
Hi John,

We did miss Heather and yourself, you would have love the relaxation time. I hope we can get down your way before we head off in July, even if just for one night to catch up. Glad you both had a lovely time in the Otways, that too is a beautiful place.

Cheers

Glenn
FollowupID: 365063

Follow Up By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:24

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:24
Glenn, sounds good to do that, but best make it more than a one nighter, head to the Great Outdoors for a fine weekend before you go or of course come this way if you so wish..............
FollowupID: 365067

Sponsored Links