3" exhaust hitting

Submitted: Monday, Apr 25, 2005 at 23:43
ThreadID: 22370 Views:1987 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi every,i have a 99 GU Coil Cab Patrol Ute and had a 3" mandrell bent Exhaust fitted. I'ts been on for a while but after a trip away with it loaded right up i noticed the tail pipe section from the muffler that goes up over the diff is hitting a suspension strot on bumps and starting to rub a hole in it.I have polly coil spring air bags and even with them blown up still will hit if bumps bigger enought.Im thinking the easiest thing to do is take it to the exhaust joint and get them to weld a bash plate on that section so it can take the hitting instead of rubbing a hole in the tail pipe. Anyone with such a big exhaust would epreciate that they just fit under there, so has anyone else noticed this? if so, what did you do?
Thanks in advance, steeping out for a bit. It's a Mercurry system straight through.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 16:35

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 16:35
G'day mate,

Given that you've got a ute/cab-chassis, I'd be tempted to ditch the section that goes over the axle and get it changed so it comes out in front of the rear tyre. If you don't want to do that, I'd suggest you try to work out why it's hitting; cos it shouldn't. Maybe a bracket has either broken or been bent out of proper shape. My 3" system (being a wagon) has to go out behind the rear axle and I opted for it to exit out to the side behind the left mudflap. I don't hink it's ever hit the rear anywhere, but I did have a problem on our Cape York trip last year.....the bracket that is just behind the hotdog muffler broke and the pipe was hitting in the round tubular cross member about half way along the chassis. Even now that it's been fixed, there is only about half an inch clearance between the pipe and that particular cross member.

Anyway, I don't reckon welding a bash plate on would be the best solution.....try to get it right so it doesn't hit anymore.

Cheers mate

Roachie
AnswerID: 108264

Sponsored Links