where to fit second battery in GQ patol 4.2 EFI

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 07:28
ThreadID: 22372 Views:2198 Replies:3 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I want to fit a second battery in my 92 GQ patrol. I have searched and searched the internet to get any info as to what needs to be modified so a second battery can be fitted. The only thing I have found is a photo on a South African site showing the battery placed next to the water bottle on the left hand side front but this patol had a round prefilter on the air intake as well as the main filter sitting on top of the engine. My model has the air filter in a large rectangular box next to the water bottle, so I don't think this can be moved or changed. I think Pirahna have a battery tray that looks to fit against the firewall on the left hand side of the engine bay but there are a couple of metal pipes coming out of the firewall that would prevent fitting a battery any bigger than one from a small 4 cylinder car. Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone ever fitted a second battery to this model vehicle.

Thanks in advance

Mick H
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Duncs - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:56

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 09:56
I'd talk to the guys at your local 4wd accessory shop, it must have been done before.

My GQ had the second battery mounted on the left side of the car in the same relative position as the original. On top of the shock absorber mount. Many things had been moved around to achieve this, including repositioning the air filter, flexible ducting is a wonderful thing. It worked well, but I have also seen them mounted on the firewall, left side as you describe.

In the GU it mounts above the shockie too but things need to be moved around to fit it in. You will have to change some things all, most certainly but it is well worth the effrot to get the battery and get it right. I have used ARB gear and found the instructions included generally easy to follow. For the GU they described what had to be moved and how to do it.

Godd Luck
Duncs
AnswerID: 108211

Follow Up By: Mick H - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:58

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:58
Have followed your idea and it looks like they can fix me up, thanks very much

Mick H
FollowupID: 365279

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:10

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 11:10
try

GQ Owners List

or

Patrol4wd Owners List

or

Great Archive of all Patrol lists
AnswerID: 108220

Follow Up By: Mick H - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:59

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:59
Thanks for your reply the links are great.

MickH
FollowupID: 365281

Reply By: peterK - Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:00

Tuesday, Apr 26, 2005 at 20:00
I have the 94 EFi, so its sounds like you have the same setup.
I chased around and ended up fitting the 8 Inch tray in the same spot against the firewall, no modifications required.
The only disadvantage is that the biggest deep cell I have managed in there is a Century 55 amp.
I run my fridge (waeco 50l) and a cheap fluro off it and havnt had a problem with power.
There is always an option to fit a larger gel somewhere else but initial outlay might be more expensive.

I have a couple of pics and some more info
HERE

Apologies about the fake touchup of the tray, I was trying to make it a little clearer

Pete
AnswerID: 108294

Follow Up By: Mick H - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:03

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:03
Thanks for your reply. The guys at the 4x4 shop have suggested that I put the second battery where you have yours. Thaey are going to fit an Optima battery so if they need to they can lay the battery on it's side if need be and apparently they can take lots of charge quickly and last a long time which is why they are so expensive.

Mick H
FollowupID: 365283

Follow Up By: peterK - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:12

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 08:12
Mick
Would be interested to see how you go, with putting the Optima in, and what amp it is. I will add it to my shopping list. If you can can you post a followup here.
Pete
FollowupID: 365285

Follow Up By: Mick H - Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 14:21

Thursday, Apr 28, 2005 at 14:21
will keep you posted.

mh
FollowupID: 365344

Sponsored Links